#1 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hello friends,

I recently purchased a My Book for Mac 2TB External HDD, and an issue I have been having is that while I am watching Netflix the screen will suddenly go black. A message on screen says that the USB Hard Drive has been disconnected and that I must turn off the console.

The issue here is that the HDD was *not* disconnected. It was simply not being used for an extended period. At first I was a little puzzled and worried that I'd have to contact Nintendo about a faulty Wii U, but after thinking for a bit I am hypothesizing the issue lies with the HDD itself, perhaps in a "sleep mode" that could be initiated when it is not in active use.

Does anyone know that this is indeed the case? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Any attempt at help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Phanto, 03 June 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#2 doxysmeow

doxysmeow

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Power miser – My Book external drives are designed to save energy. WD GreenPower Technology™ lowers internal drive power consumption by up to 30%, a sleep mode reduces power during idle times, and a power-saving feature turns the drive on and off with your computer.

I think it has to do with this. The Wii U might not behave as a computer and by lowering the power, the console "thinks" the drive is not there. (I'm not sure, but that's what I think)

Read this.

Edited by Mr. Marco, 03 June 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#3 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

I think it has to do with this. The Wii U might not behave as a computer and by lowering the power, the console "thinks" the drive is not there. (I'm not sure, but that's what I think)

Read this.

Yep. This is exactly what I was thinking, and it looks to be confirmed. Well, then it looks as though this drive is not compatible with the Wii U. Anyone else looking to buy an external HDD should stay away from this one.

Now to see if I can get the store to let me exchange it. They probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Phanto, 04 June 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#4 doxysmeow

doxysmeow

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yep. This is exactly what I was thinking, and it looks to be confirmed. Well, then it looks as though this drive is not compatible with the Wii U. Anyone else looking to buy an external HDD should stay away from this one.

Now to see if I can get the store to let me exchange it. They probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If the store doesn't let you exchange it(what I undoubtedly think they will), it still sounds like a great external HDD for your computer. But I wonder why you guys get 2TB of memory for the Wii U...

I got a Premium Set, and I think that means I have 25GB of space for games and savegames(the rest is "eaten" by the system). Nintendo Land is about 2.5GB, while NSMBU may be around 3GB. I don't think there are going to be enormously big games to get 25GB total from the disc, but if I'm wrong, I still have a 250GB external HDD that'd let me store 10 games of that kind.

I'm mostly a Virtual Console fan, rather than getting retail games from the eShop(that didn't even launch in Brazil). But let's see.

#5 EskobarM92

EskobarM92

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • NNID:EskobarM92

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

This thing happened first time today. 1 week after getting my HDD and playing and idling. I guess the HDD goes into idle sometimes and this can (should not) happen. Anyways I unplug my console and restart, fixed.

I was going to get 2TB but ended up using a 1TB, figured it would be enough for at least a year. Mostly going for full eshop games not wasting my money on virtual console games.

Edited by EskobarM92, 11 June 2014 - 02:22 PM.

Eskobar+M92.png

Wii U: EskobarM92, Xbox One: Eskobar M92, PS4: Eskobar-M92

#6 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

If the store doesn't let you exchange it(what I undoubtedly think they will), it still sounds like a great external HDD for your computer. But I wonder why you guys get 2TB of memory for the Wii U...

I got a Premium Set, and I think that means I have 25GB of space for games and savegames(the rest is "eaten" by the system). Nintendo Land is about 2.5GB, while NSMBU may be around 3GB. I don't think there are going to be enormously big games to get 25GB total from the disc, but if I'm wrong, I still have a 250GB external HDD that'd let me store 10 games of that kind.

I'm mostly a Virtual Console fan, rather than getting retail games from the eShop(that didn't even launch in Brazil). But let's see.

I agree that 2TB is a bit of a waste. I have a 250GB drive and I have ~75 games that only add up to 60GB, including updates, saves, and DLC. I had a Cruzer Fit which was enough for a longest time (and a 64gb version would've lasted me until MK8 came out), and I'm considering going back to a flash drive If I can find a 128GB drive small enough.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!