#1 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

I know we know very little about the Wii 2 so its very hard (and a bit pointless) to guess on price but it's still worth thinking about. Nintendo always tries to give a premium experience at the lowest price possible, but with the talks of the 3DS costing $250 the Wii 2 will probably me more expensive than that.

PS3 and 360 are still way more expensive than Wii, and the PSP is still more expensive than. But they offer other things. In a world of economic crashes, cuts, deficits, national debts people might decide to fit everything they need into one system. For example, the PS3 offers the motion controlling of the Wii, the graphics of the 360 and a Blu Ray player. This negates the need to buy a Blu Ray player separately, a Wii and 360. Saving on costs.

There was another good discussion on the forums about whether the Wii 2 will be Blu Ray compatible. I hope so because I don't think Nintendo can justify a high price on the notion of great gameplay and games alone.

So?

-Do you think the Wii 2 will be expensive?
-Is there any price you would not go over?
-Do Nintendo's next consoles have to be more media friendly to justify prices?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Seeing as Nintendo always adapts their strategy with their handheld into a console that comes a year or two later, I'm quite sure we can expect the Wii's successor to be quite pricey. Nintendo admitted a long time ago that they really regretted starting the Wii off at $250, because they knew it would've sold just as well at a "much higher" price point. They didn't want to repeat this mistake with the 3DS, and I'm sure they won't with the Wii 2, either. So I think it may be reasonable to guess that the Wii 2 could be anywhere in the realm of $300-$400, depending on just how awesome it is.

Now, personally, I'll probably start questioning the price a bit if it's over $320 or so. It was never really the Nintendo way to charge outrageous prices, and I think more than that would qualify as "outrageous" for them.

In response to your last question, I think Nintendo's strength lies in that they never lose focus of what they do best: creating awesome gameplay experiences. Their next console will probably be media-friendly to the extent of the current Wii, and quite possibly a bit beyond (network media streaming, maybe, considering the PS3 and 360 have both had it for a while); but I don't expect it to become a major selling point of the system. Knowing Nintendo, they've probably cooked up a new gameplay innovation awesome enough to sell the console without needing to be padded by a laundry list of non-gaming features.

#3 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hopefully it won't go over $350.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#4 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Seeing as Nintendo always adapts their strategy with their handheld into a console that comes a year or two later, I'm quite sure we can expect the Wii's successor to be quite pricey. Nintendo admitted a long time ago that they really regretted starting the Wii off at $250, because they knew it would've sold just as well at a "much higher" price point. They didn't want to repeat this mistake with the 3DS, and I'm sure they won't with the Wii 2, either. So I think it may be reasonable to guess that the Wii 2 could be anywhere in the realm of $300-$400, depending on just how awesome it is.

Now, personally, I'll probably start questioning the price a bit if it's over $320 or so. It was never really the Nintendo way to charge outrageous prices, and I think more than that would qualify as "outrageous" for them.

In response to your last question, I think Nintendo's strength lies in that they never lose focus of what they do best: creating awesome gameplay experiences. Their next console will probably be media-friendly to the extent of the current Wii, and quite possibly a bit beyond (network media streaming, maybe, considering the PS3 and 360 have both had it for a while); but I don't expect it to become a major selling point of the system. Knowing Nintendo, they've probably cooked up a new gameplay innovation awesome enough to sell the console without needing to be padded by a laundry list of non-gaming features.

I really hope they come up with something good, I have faith in them that they will because of the Wii and the 3DS but it could easily go pear shaped like the game cube, great games weren't enough then... gamecube was heavily criticised for its low data storage and inability to play dvds

You only have to go on youtube to see what I call 'Generation G', the new generation of gamers obsessed with graphics, social gaming interaction and sometimes FPSs. Wasn't Black ops the most selling game? Fastest selling? Something like that. If Nintendo is not going to compete with the social media, graphics and so on they will have to on price or people just won't think its worth it. Gaming is hardly about straight gaming sadly... :cry:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

#5 Roy

Roy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ninja Bread Man. Best. Game. Ever

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

Nintendo need to make a profit from WIi 2 (unlike ms and sony)
and seeing as the tech will most likely be improved a lot, then the price will have to go up.

Hello, I am Roy.

Posted Image

#6 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

and seeing as the tech will most likely be improved a lot, then the price will have to go up.

That's what I was afraid of.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

#7 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

That's what I was afraid of.

It really depends on what Nintendo is going for though. If they try to be on par with the power of PS4/720, then yeah it may go to $350 and up.

If they try to be just a bit more powerful, then it won't be as expensive as the rest since the hardware for PS3/360 level power has gotten way cheaper.

I'm expecting between $299 and $350.

I would rather they have games looking on the level of Uncharted 2/3 and Crysis and put the rest of the money into the online, controls and any other feature they're putting in.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#8 Goose74

Goose74

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sony

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

I would rather they have games looking on the level of Uncharted 2/3 and Crysis and put the rest of the money into the online, controls and any other feature they're putting in.

This point will be a problem. I hope that more publishers will unleash the power and won't do some lazy ports that are just horrible. This was the problem for the Gamecube and the Wii.
I don't want any watered down ports. I want the same or better Version of the game and i want to play good games like Oblivion also on a Nintendo console.

Best regards.

Goose74 ;)

#9 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

This point will be a problem. I hope that more publishers will unleash the power and won't do some lazy ports that are just horrible. This was the problem for the Gamecube and the Wii.
I don't want any watered down ports. I want the same or better Version of the game and i want to play good games like Oblivion also on a Nintendo console.

Best regards.

Goose74 ;)

If Nintendo doesn't want to get watered down ports, they'll need to have the same amount of ram as the competitors. Next gen will be less about graphics and more about how much content can be packed into the games and how many stuff can go on in the screen at one time. I expect MS and Sony to put up to 2 GB of ram into their console, 1 GB minimum. Ram isn't very expensive at this point.
You know what guys?

#10 dannyboy

dannyboy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Fandom:
    all nintendo characters

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

I would imagine the wii 2 will be more expensive than the original wii at launch if what people are suggesting about the possible new features but I doubt it will go above £300 and if it does it would have to be a pretty darn good console to make people want to pay that much
http://amazing-nintendo.blogspot.com/
my new blog all about Nintendo so go and have a look though its not just as good as here but go for a look and sign up to the forum if you want

#11 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

The Wii's successor will likely be more expensive at launch than the Wii. Like the 3DS I expect Nintendo to have a larger hardcore focus next gen and focus on getting third party support early on. Just how more expensive is anyone's guess, but in my opinion it could range from $279.99-$299.99. I don't expect it to be anymore expensive than that. Nintendo is likely going to try and keep the Wii's successor being marginally cheaper than what they expect the price of their competitors new consoles to launch. Truthfully as long as its cheaper than $400 I'm likely to be an early adapter.

#12 Bartman2

Bartman2

The Ultimate Nerd

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, LoZ, The Simpsons

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

I will still definitely buy it later, for fear that i won't have enough money.
Posted Image
Like a Boss

#13 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

I doubt it will be over the price of £400<-- if it does, we have lost the Nintendo we know and love. They are known for low prices and next generation tech.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#14 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

Feldo's prediction of $350 to $400 may end up being in the ball park. With 3DS launching at $249.99 merely eight days from now in the U.S. an odd thought came to mind to gauge how expensive Wii's successor possibly could be come it's eventual release that I didn't think of earlier. I decided out of curiosity to compare the prices of Nintendo's handhelds at launch to the corresponding consoles.

The Game Boy Advance launched in North America on June 11, 2001 at $99.99. The GameCube launched in North American on November 18, 2001 at $199.99. The original DS launched on November 21, 2004 in North America at $149.99. The Nintendo Wii of course launched in North America on November 19, 2006 at $249.99. A pattern emerges though perhaps a little shallow only going back two generation cycles, but I likely could argue to extend it to Game Boy which released in 1989 and SNES released in 1991.

The resulting figure is beyond the sort of prices I expect from Nintendo, but if this interesting pattern holds true for another generation Wii's successor could be as expensive as $349.99. I bought a PS3 at $599.99 so I more than likely would still buy Nintendo's next console at launch even if it was $349.99, but some maybe reluctant if this prediction is correct.

#15 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:28 AM

I think it will cost around $300 and maybe £270.
Posted Image

#16 Homer Fanboy

Homer Fanboy

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Fandom:
    I am a Simpsons freak!

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

It will sadly probably be pretty pricey. The rumored touchscreen remote will make the price jump. *Gulp*

#17 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Feldo's prediction of $350 to $400 may end up being in the ball park.

Called it. ;)

#18 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Called it. ;)

*Throws confetti*

Now to convince my parents... Or get a job...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#19 0003mg

0003mg

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Fandom:
    Way too many to list

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

I am thinking since the 3DS was expensive, Nintendo could be going all out with this console.

#20 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

That would be £212 to £243. I hope Nintendo won't make it more expensive in Europe as they have with the 3DS. On the topic of price, I wonder how much additional controllers will cost. With the rumoured HD touchscreen they could be very expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!