Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

Recently, an employee at sony stated the Following on Project Cafe.

"We're not afraid of a little coffee stain."
What are your thoughts

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#2 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

Clearly this is a clumsy employee if he's spilled enough coffee to call this one small :P

And trust me - This isn't a stain he'll be able to get out anytime soon :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#3 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Sony have no idea what they're saying. Nintendo is clearly onto something big here, and Sony is currently struggling to make ends meet, what with the PSN outage and all. As Wertville said, this isn't a stain that they'll be washing out anytime soon. Oh no.

Btw, I wrote an article on this, too.

#4 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Of course Sony isn't concerned about a "coffee stain" because they got sewage waste being spilled on them by the innumerable amount of malcontent PSN users, who have been angry at the perceived indifference from the staff.

Edited by Biohazard, 25 April 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#5 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Just PR talk. Sony's known to be arrogant at times.
They'll be ready to launch as soon as possible if (when) the Cafe has an impact.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#6 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

It was only a matter of time before someone from Sony said something along these lines about the Wii 2. To be honest I doubt that anyone at Nintendo will really care about what this person thinks. To be honest I don't really care what she thinks.

#7 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Not surprising, nor is it an incorrect statement (albeit unnecessarily arrogant), Sony and Nintendo while both being video game manufacturers (although Sony is a much larger corporation that has it's hands in many other products as well) are not actually "direct" competitors. Sony with the PS3 never intended to capture the "casual" audience like Nintendo has with the Wii until recently (Move) and likewise Nintendo never intended to go after the "Hardcore" demographic like Sony has with the PS3.

While rumors state that Nintendo intends project cafe to target hardcore gamers much more than the Wii did it will not be as simple as just having an HD console with a 25gb disk capacity. Nintendo's horrible relationship with 3rd party developers is so well known it could be described as infamous and while they have reportedly made project cafe as friendly as possible for 3rd parties there is still a trust issue that will need to be dealt with and likely a certain amount of anger towards Nintendo for never making any effort to please 3rd party developers in the past. There's also an issue of trust toward Nintendo in the "Hardcore gamer" demographic where many gamers felt betrayed by the Wii and the fact that it offered very little for anyone that wanted more than a system with hundreds of party games and very few titles of any real quality.

That's not to say that it can't or won't be done but Sony is right to be skeptical, everyone already is from industry analysts and "experts" to gamers themselves. Fact is if rumors are true than Nintendo is entering uncharted territory for them in trying to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft for the hardcore market, something they haven't done since the battle between the original Playstation and the N64. It's only natural for people to be a little cautious about the whole thing.

#8 Ostro

Ostro

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dreamcast, Shmups

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Just PR talk. Sony's known to be arrogant at times all the time.

:D
Sony will copy all the stuff again anyways. I mean .. PSN, Trophies, Move. I'm waiting for their attempt to get a screen on the DualShock - bet they won't change their controller layout xD

#9 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

They'll probably do something incorporating the NGP with the PS4, similar to how rumors are everywhere that the 3DS can be used with project cafe.

Of course they'd still have to develop an actual controller with a screen and such if they do want to go that route because using an NGP would be one hell of an expensive controller, lol. I know they still haven't announced the price but I don't see any way that it's less than $300 for a portable that's as powerful as a PS3 and while the price will drop some by the time the 2014 time comes around if they do stick to their word on when we can expect the PS4, it still won't be down to an acceptable price for a controller, lol. I have a feeling the project cafe controller is already going to be pretty darned expensive (controllers are already much more than they should be, $60 for a dual-shock 3 or 360 controller is just pathetic).

#10 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

While rumors state that Nintendo intends project cafe to target hardcore gamers much more than the Wii did it will not be as simple as just having an HD console with a 25gb disk capacity. Nintendo's horrible relationship with 3rd party developers is so well known it could be described as infamous and while they have reportedly made project cafe as friendly as possible for 3rd parties there is still a trust issue that will need to be dealt with and likely a certain amount of anger towards Nintendo for never making any effort to please 3rd party developers in the past. There's also an issue of trust toward Nintendo in the "Hardcore gamer" demographic where many gamers felt betrayed by the Wii and the fact that it offered very little for anyone that wanted more than a system with hundreds of party games and very few titles of any real quality.

One thing I'm getting tired of hearing is that the Wii lacks any quality hardcore titles. Really, it's actually got a rather respectable amount of them - well, as long as you don't define a hardcore title as a shooter with 50+ different guns, 400 online modes, and enough blood to fill a lake with.

Look at my own Wii game collection (from a few months ago).
Posted Image
There aren't even two digits' worth of casual games in there. The Wii has lots of great, deep experiences on it, but just because Nintendo doesn't market them as much doesn't mean they're not there.[/rant]

Anyhow, back to topic, I understand where you're coming from with Nintendo's unfriendliness to third-parties, but I'm absolutely confident that's about to change. Just look at the 3DS. There hasn't been a single "big" Nintendo title released for it yet, and Nintendo themselves are even doing much of the marketing for many of the 3rd-party games on it. They've also said they're deliberately planning out their software release calendar to ensure that third-parties have an honest chance at seeing Nintendo-like success on the platform.

If anything, it's a great sign that Nintendo are changing their ways, so I have high hopes.

#11 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

While I do think Nintendo is sincere about becoming more friendly to 3rd party developers I wouldn't use the 3DS as an example...sure there aren't any major Nintendo releases on it yet...but there aren't any major 3rd party releases either, lol. The 3DS has even been admitted by Nintendo as a failed launch, they released it way too soon, shouldn't have been out before this holiday when a good number of quality games were actually released for it.

And just for the record, I hate shooters. Occasionally I enjoy them but it's pretty rare to see me play one. I'm more of an action/adventure/RPG guy. Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Demon's Souls, etc...took up most of my time this console generation. Well that and sports franchises, I love me a good sports sim...even if I don't like the sport (example, I hate basketball but love basketball video games). To me, the Wii had nothing that could compare to games like those I mentioned...not that there weren't Wii titles I did enjoy, Mario Kart was a blast, as was Super Monkeyball (loved that game), No More Heroes was fun (as well as amusing) but all in all I'd place the libraries of the 360 and PS3 well ahead of the Wii. Not to mention sports franchises on the Wii are horrible, Though they should be MUCH better on Cafe...that little screen on the controller will come in handy playing sports games...will finally be able to choose a play without your opponent seeing it, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!