Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

What a stupid comparison. Yet let me explain, it even might convince you why in my humble the new look of Zelda is better than the tech-demo.

To do so, I have to travel back in Time, back to 1993. I was 14 years old and played the hell out of the original 8-bit Legend of Zelda and just started with the Snes version. They both were beautifull games and I loved them to death. But suddenly there was Philips and their CDi. Compared to the Snes and Megadrive the games looked like actual cartoons. I could not effort to buy such a system (looking back, gladly so), neither did I have access to the internet and so I had to do it with instore demo-pods.

None of the stores actually showcased the Zelda games but as a reference I had to do with some of the other games which looked awesome. Little did I know that most had terrible gameplay. Yet by the looks of the Zelda boxes I envisioned an adventure in a cartoonesque world where interactive film would deliver the ultimate Zelda experience. As history turns out, the cd-i games were really bad yet they awakened my wish for a believable Zelda game with an artstyle that would inspire my senses and made me believe I was part of its world.

Just as back then, the New Zelda could have opted for a realistic approach, yet it wouldn't stand out from most other adventure games if it did (fable, dragonage, elderscrolls), but worse, it would not toy with your senses and inspire you.

Yesterday, when I saw Hyrule field, I directy started to image what could be after those hills, and what creatures would live there, looking at the film really captured me into its own world, just surrealistic enough to stand out, but the colors, style and advanced animation finally delivered what that CDi project promissed my mind back in 1993.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#2 Ladic

Ladic

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

CDi zelda never looked good, I remember they always had the infomercials for the CDi back then, and the games looked terrible even by 1993 standards

#3 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

CDi zelda never looked good, I remember they always had the infomercials for the CDi back then, and the games looked terrible even by 1993 standards

As I wrote, I only saw the stills. My imagenation combined with some cd-i footage from other games did the rest.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!