#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

Descriptions suggest Wii U project

original.jpg

What's Retro Studios working on? That question has been common since development of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze began to wrap up towards the close of 2013, while it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the talented studio will have begun work on its next major endeavour while DK's adventure was still in its latter stages. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nintendo with an outstanding track record with its games, it's not unreasonable to expect that the studio's next project will be an important release.

It seems the Texas-based company is beginning to ramp up on its current efforts, with five recent job postings appearing; though they've been on Nintendo's recruitment site for a short while, we stumbled across these due to them all being uploaded to respected industry website Gamasutra over the past few days, suggesting the company is taking its recruitment effort further afield. There are five high-profile roles currently being advertised, with the high level descriptions below.

While the descriptions generally steer clear of specifics — listed platforms are 3DS / Wii U for four of the roles, with 3DS / Wii U / Wii in one — there are some elements that point to a home console project. The FX Artist entry states "next-gen shader technical expertise preferred", while incorporating varying styles to "produce FX with a strong and appropriate sense of timing, color and drama". The Gameplay Engineer role necessitates "prior experience working on game-play systems for AAA video games".

Senior Tools Engineer

Senior level engineer responsible for driving the development, maintenance and support of proprietary Windows PC applications and libraries necessary for the creation of Retro Studios’ games.

AI Engineer

Individual contributor that develops, writes and debugs code for video game software and tools with a specific focus on AI programming for enemies & bosses and various other game-play systems as required.

FX Artist

Retro Studios is looking for a Visual Effects Artist

Tools Engineer

Individual contributor that designs, implements, tests and maintains tools for a broad range of functions

Gameplay Engineer

Individual contributor that develops, writes and debugs code for video game software and tools with a specific focus on gameplay programming for player, camera, gimmicks and various other game-play systems as required.

Thoughts on what Retro Studios is producing are only speculation at this point, though we'd hope that Nintendo is entrusting one of its best teams with a major project. What would you like Retro Studios to be developing? Let us know, as always, in the comments below.

Metroid Prime 4?

An AI Engineer is NOT I repeat NOT hired for platformers so DK is OUT!

Also does not fit Starfox. I suspect Metroid.

Edited by Ryudo, 15 September 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

'Tools Engineer

Individual contributor that designs, implements, tests and maintains tools for a broad range of functions'

This is pretty huge. Looks like they are building a new proprietary game engine for the wii u. Probably greatly expanding upon whatever groundwork they laid for tropical freeze, or even scrapping it entirely to create the new 'Retro engine U'.

The kong hair physics that rivals tressfx was actually done ground up by a retro studios engineer. Hiring more guys for this can only lead to greatness.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

ywX7WIi.jpg

Or Raven Blade confirmed back in development!

UvthUBa.gif

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

ywX7WIi.jpg

UvthUBa.gif

Thats such a weird picture in so many cool ways.

1. It uses the Halo 4 gui visor, as this is from one of the the former retro studios employee who worked on Halo 4.
2. It looks SOOOOOOO Metroid prime because... Its from one of the former retro studios emplyees.
3. Its the Ishimura from dead space.

Now just imagine this turning into a game XD.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

If there`s a Metroid game like that, it would become the best selling Metroid game ever!

From the comments above - about the job descriptions - it seems that Retro is preparing something big, and i like it! B)

#6 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

ywX7WIi.jpg

What is that screen-cap from? One of the primes? /neverplayed.

Anyways I would love for them to bring back Raven Blade but enhance it. It would've been great back then, gut just seems generic now a days. And a new metroid. I'm not going to say prime 4. Prime was a trilogy and honestly they should do something new.

Stupid Snowmads!

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Anyways I would love for them to bring back Raven Blade but enhance it. It would've been great back then, gut just seems generic now a days. And a new metroid. I'm not going to say prime 4. Prime was a trilogy and honestly they should do something new.

This is a 2d artwork from a formr retro studios member, who was working on/finished working on halo 4 at the time, and the picture is of the hallways of the ishimura from Dead Space.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Prime 3 ended with a sorta cliffhanger. A ship Chasing Samus. So story is not over.

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Metroid Prime 4?

An AI Engineer is NOT I repeat NOT hired for platformers so DK is OUT!
Also does not fit Starfox. I suspect Metroid.

lol, that's a lie.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

lol, that's a lie.

bNDkUCJ.gif

I'll take the word of a person who worked on AAA games over a racist pleb. Good day to you 1RwJdnn.gif

Edited by Ryudo, 19 August 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

bNDkUCJ.gif
I'll take the word of a person who worked on AAA games over a racist pleb. Good day to you 1RwJdnn.gif

Do you even know what AI is?

It's giving an npc a set of instructions, check credits in any mario game, see ai programmer in it.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

believe it when I see it

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

Platformers use enemies that inhabit a small space and may attack or just move within that space. That's very basic stuff for programming and they have those guys there already. Enemies in platformers are static and pass a point they attack you. It's always a small window. Something like that well you don't hire a civil engineer to build a dog house.

In order to make these hires it's a full on 3D game and in order to fill a position like this is more likely along the lines of a 3D moving game. First person or third person. 3dude and my friend also had a point in that this is also enhancing if not making a new engine to enhance a future title. You don't enhance or make a new engine without making a new game unless you're a lazy dumb developer. Thing  is at Nintendo when a tool is updated EVERYONE gets it. That does not happen at Square..lol at Luminous Engine sitting in a corner barely on FFXV at all. However for Nintendo it's the practice they always use. New tool new game everyone is given this new tool.

Edited by Ryudo, 19 August 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#14 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

Do you even know what AI is?

It's giving an npc a set of instructions, check credits in any mario game, see ai programmer in it.

AI programmers in Mario games have the easiest jobs doe. 

Code only needs to say: "go forward until you hit wall, turn, go forward until you hit wall.

Or, for a red turtle; "go forward until you hit wall or an edge, turn, go forward until you hit wall or an edge."

I could do it, after learning how to code of course. I've made better AI in Scratch.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

AI programmers in Mario games have the easiest jobs doe. 
Code only needs to say: "go forward until you hit wall, turn, go forward until you hit wall.
Or, for a red turtle; "go forward until you hit wall or an edge, turn, go forward until you hit wall or an edge."
I could do it, after learning how to code of course. I've made better AI in Scratch.

Yeah.

but they still need to program that though, so nothing is confirmed.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

Yeah.

but they still need to program that though, so nothing is confirmed.

They need to program it, sure. I'm just pretty sure that anyone could program that, and they don't need to hire an AI programmer just for that. Hell, the texture artist could probably do that.

bi5tzqg.gif

#17 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

They need to program it, sure. I'm just pretty sure that anyone could program that, and they don't need to hire an AI programmer just for that. Hell, the texture artist could probably do that.

I disagree.

Programming is difficult in many different ways.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#18 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:02 AM

I disagree.

Programming is difficult in many different ways.

Ok, I guess we have different opinions. 

I also guess you want another DK game instead of an awesome Metroid game :P

bi5tzqg.gif

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

Ok, I guess we have different opinions. 

I also guess you want another DK game instead of an awesome Metroid game :P

I don't like the dk series, haven't bought one since wii, didn't like it.

This isn't about what I want, this is about what I know.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#20 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:09 AM

I don't like the dk series, haven't bought one since wii, didn't like it.

This isn't about what I want, this is about what I know.

figma-Samus-Aran-Figure1-800x800.jpg

pls i need dis

maxresdefault.jpg

bi5tzqg.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!