• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:13 AM

A long time ago, I stumbled onto this mind-blowing video (pun intended) over on TED. It's a demonstration of a headset that...you guessed it, can read your mind. Probably not the first of its kind; but according to the video, what makes this one different is that 1) it works, and 2) it's relatively affordable, compared to other headsets with a similar concept.

Both of those are things Nintendo looks for when choosing new technologies to use in new systems. I wouldn't say what they show in the video is still mature enough to use in a commercial product by the time the Wii 2 rolls around, but mind control's definitely coming along faster than most people think; and I think it's quite possible the tech will mature in time for the Wii 2's successor.

So, here's the video. What do you think?

#2 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:51 AM

Awesome video! Great tech, but as you've already stated it's not mature enough for Nintendo to use in it's next home console.
While this is possible, I still think it is far too expensive for Nintendo to implement into the Wii's successor. Nintendo first goes for cost before innovation. A great example is the 3DS, the 3D technology the 3DS uses has been around for quite awhile however back then it was too expensive for Nintendo to adapt it into their next piece of hardware, but as the years have gone by, it's gotten cheaper and now the 3DS is coming out in three months! I think it'll be the same for the Wii.
Posted Image

#3 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

I am certain that this technology will mature in 2 years, which is the most likely time for the Wii 2. I mean, 2 years ago, I'm not even sure if it existed XD
This is the only thing I can think of that would 'Re-Revolutionize' the industry (Nintendo did say something like that, right?), so if this tech isn't mature enough by the time the Wii 2 rolls around, the Wii 2 will probably be held back a bit ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#4 Revolution

Revolution

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

I am certain that this technology will mature in 2 years, which is the most likely time for the Wii 2. I mean, 2 years ago, I'm not even sure if it existed XD
This is the only thing I can think of that would 'Re-Revolutionize' the industry (Nintendo did say something like that, right?), so if this tech isn't mature enough by the time the Wii 2 rolls around, the Wii 2 will probably be held back a bit ;)

Well, it is probably being developed allready, so they can't take new technologies now.

#5 Shnuk

Shnuk

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Gamecube, 3DS, Wii and Mario,

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

I don't think mind control will be available. and are we suggesting completely replacing the controller? because i'm against gaming on my touvh screen iPod touch and that at least has a screen ;) i don't know if I'll be able to handle this...

Hey, I'm Jordan. I don't feel like I have a witty comment that won't sound really forced so I'm just going to have this sort of lame looking.
This is as exciting as it's goin to get:
My Name is Jordan and I come from Canada.

#6 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

I definitely see mind control as a possibility but any suggestions what the implications would be for gameplay?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#7 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

No. It's too expensive ATM. Plus, it would get kind of boring, don't you think? It would also be extremely difficult to market.

#8 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

I don't see how mind control even if it became a affordable concept by time Wii's successor is launched would be a meaningful addition to gameplay.

#9 dannyboy

dannyboy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Fandom:
    all nintendo characters

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

if nintendo did introduce it into the wii 2 that would be soo cool. it could beat xbox kinect but how well would it work and how like would it be a small screen in front of your eyes which acts a a screen maybe it lets you see the game from the characters point of view and it could be as if you are the character. ;)
http://amazing-nintendo.blogspot.com/
my new blog all about Nintendo so go and have a look though its not just as good as here but go for a look and sign up to the forum if you want

#10 SonofMrPeanut

SonofMrPeanut

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

One thing struck my mind during the theoretical wheelchair application: Someone can finally do a 100% accurate Professor Xavier costume at Comic Con. ;)

I know that in some games I feel like I'm tricking the system by mashing a button, waggling a remote or something else. Ideally playing with the mind would allow developers to utilize this additional mental investment on the player's part with an added level of challenge. Of course, I'd see the best setup being a traditional controller/mouse/etc., but the mind would be assigned to areas where the other control schemes would feel limited and, in turn, a lesser experience. One of those areas would not be chat, however, since at the moment I'd expect mental commands to work no better than voice commands. :D
"Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins." - Ricardo Montalban, Freakazoid!

Posted Image

#11 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Trek, Fringe, NCIS, yoshis, fantasy

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

The phrase "mind control" usually evokes a picture of someone's mind being manipulated in some way. But I had seen the video before, so I guessed what this was about.

Ehh... it seems a bit too slow to me. ;)
Not to mention, the different states of mind someone can have would make it pointless to set a neatly defined algorithm for each individual. Meaning, if you're not in the same mood as the previous time you played, you'd need to reset the thing. No, please; thank you.

These are my dragon persona Darren's parents. Or Darrents, if you will.
Posted Image

#12 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

I have seen videos showing mind control, and it is impressive, but I don't think it'll be ready for video games for a few years yet. It's the sort of thing I can see being introduced as an addition to the Wii 2 after it's been out for a while, a bit like Xbox Kinect. I also don't know what developers will think of it. I'm no expert, but designing games for mind control must be a lot harder than designing games that use buttons, or motion control.

#13 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

Interesting idea, AMAC, that Nintendo could bring mind control to the Wii 2 afterwards. It definitely won't be the first time they introduced a major new hardware addition to an existing console - Super FX (2) on the SNES, Nintendo 64DD on the N64, and Wii MotionPlus on the Wii.

You're probably right in that designing games to work with mind control would be a wicked programming challenge. However, I'm sure there are some talented developers out there that are up to the task.

#14 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but earlier this week on the gadget show, there was a challenge that involved mind control. Even though it was a reasonably straightforward task, it required huge amounts of concentration. It made me think that mind control wouldn't work with video games, as I don't think many gamers would want to have to focus that much on games. It could also be really easy to lose focus. I also think that some people would really struggle to use mind control.

With all the latest rumours that have emerged over the last couple of days about the Wii 2, nothing has been said about mind control. Most reports have claimed that Nintendo will be trying to appeal to hardcore gamers. If this is true, I think that it is unlikely that Nintendo would include mind control, as many people would see this as a gimmick.

A final thought on mind control, is that tabloids *cough* The Sun *cough* would probably come out with some big story, claiming that it causes headaches and isn't safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!