• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MetaMS

MetaMS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Now i was just thinking, what if Nintendo made an MMO like game for the Wii U. I mean it's the perfect time do do so isn't it? They said that they have just vastly improved their online services as well. It's would also be a good time to show a new IP wouldn't it. I don't remember any new IP's being shown during the Wii era as well so it would help them a lot.

I for one would really like to see Nintendo's take on the MMO genre and im sure a lot of people here would as well. It would have a large detailed world as well as a large variety of characters and NPC's as well. Nintendo is well known for their amazing characters and gameplay elements as well so the game would be deep in terms of story as well as gameplay.

So what do you think? Should or shouldn't Nintendo make and MMO game for the Wii U or not?

#2 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

It would be an all or nothing project. An MMO would take a lot of development time and it would require Nintendo to give the game long term support until the end of the WiiU's lifespan. If they could do it and do it well, Nintendo could probably make an awesome MMO. I'd really like to see one, but I don't know if Nintendo is willing to jump into the MMO scene.

#3 AWB

AWB

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

I don't think so. It just wouldn't seem like something Nintendo could do.
Game History: PC, GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS.
Buying Soon: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 3D, Animal Crossing 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Mario 3D.

#4 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

It seems like Animal Crossing was a halfway-house attempt at a Nintendo MMO, before the tech was really feasible for the console market. I could see a new MMO on this level - a Pokemon-like world based on collecting, trading, socializing, and "flair"-like display of your personal creations. I can't see them pulling off anything on the level of WoW... but I admit that the idea excites me. Nintendo's art style seems well suited to a WoW-like persistent-world RPG.

#5 AWB

AWB

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

It seems like Animal Crossing was a halfway-house attempt at a Nintendo MMO, before the tech was really feasible for the console market. I could see a new MMO on this level - a Pokemon-like world based on collecting, trading, socializing, and "flair"-like display of your personal creations. I can't see them pulling off anything on the level of WoW... but I admit that the idea excites me. Nintendo's art style seems well suited to a WoW-like persistent-world RPG.

I wonder how Nintendo could improve Animal Crossing in terms of the social aspect...?

Edited by AWB, 16 June 2011 - 08:19 AM.

Game History: PC, GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS.
Buying Soon: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 3D, Animal Crossing 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Mario 3D.

#6 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

If they did, I would probably buy it. But will they, probably not!!!!!
Posted Image

#7 DaPimpJ

DaPimpJ

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

Maybe one like cartoon network universe but with Nintendo characters?

#8 AWB

AWB

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:23 AM

I wonder if Nintendo did a MMO, if it would attract any WoW or other MMO game players.

#9 bsgpro

bsgpro

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Call of Duty andMonster Hunter Tri

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

I would love to see a Pokemon MMO. If it had a 3d environment too.

:D
Don't push it I am smarter than you.

#10 kiwi_kewn

kiwi_kewn

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

I think how all of you are saying "An mmo with nintneo characters" would honestly just be smash brothers, but as an mmo O.o anyone wonder if that could be a slight posibility? maybe not your general mmo. but maybe the new smash brothers could be mmo-esque. how I see it. if nintendo tries to make an mmo. they should either do an entirely new series. or something with mii's. i know the mii idea wouldn't be the best. but I think it would be decent. a mii mmo. with little mini games to level up~

#11 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

No, they won't. Nintendo has too little characters. And what, are we going to be able to edit the characters? Like I said, not going to happen although a interesting thought.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#12 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, it wouldn't really be possible I guess. Although I wouldn't be completely opposed to Nintendo making just an MMO in general, but I'd rather they just brought us a fresh RPG experience.

#13 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

Nintendo may not have that many individual characters, but they've got a ton of different species and races under their belt, each of which could be customized to varying degrees (especially if you consider the possibility of adding clothes to them). How do Nintendo themselves make particularly important members of a species stand out? They give them unique clothes (or sometimes clothes, period), stick a feather in their hair, put facial markings on them, make them a different or rare colour, etc. We've got lots of generic Koopas, Goombas, and Toads. But we've also got unforgettable individuals like Toadsworth, Goombella, and Boshi.

I can see Nintendo races being possible in an MMO setting, too. If you're a Koopa Troopa, for instance, you could set the colour of your shell and eyes, and trick yourself out with a variety of clothes, hats, and makeup. Perhaps you'd grow wings after leveling up enough and turn into a Paratroopa, at which point you'd be able to train a flight skill to be able to fly farther at a time.

Toads, being more human-like in form and function, could have more customizable faces, and perhaps a natural advantage in a hypothetical "intelligence" stat, at the expense of strength. Yoshis would have the gift of speed, and Shy Guys could use their small size to get into small places and be more agile.

All of these are only ideas for how a potential Mario MMO could go down. Thinking about it, a Pokemon MMO in which you play as your Mii instead of a generic Pokemon trainer sounds almost like a natural fit. Fuse a few Animal Crossing elements like real estate, furniture, and an economy into it, and I think we've got a potential showpiece for the Wii U.

Of course, this is all purely wishful thinking. :angry:

#14 Ryoni93

Ryoni93

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Final fantasy, Chrono trigger

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Did I understand this wrong, or wasn't the main idea that nintendo made a completely NEW IP with NEW characters and worlds and so on? If that would be the case, I would be happy. A mario MMO? not so much...Zelda? maybeeee...Pokemon? HELL YEAH!
Yeah my favorite zelda game is not Ocarina of Time, It's Majoras mask! Live with it!
ps. chrono trigger is the best game ever....
Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Roy

Roy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ninja Bread Man. Best. Game. Ever

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

The question is would it be set in an existing Nintendo universe? (Zelda, maybe) or would it be a whole new universe and characters. A zelda mmo where you design your character, then do quests and stuff, battle enemies and complete dungeons whilst meeting, battling and trading with other players. It would be pretty cool.

Hello, I am Roy.

Posted Image

#16 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:47 AM

They could, but they'd have to do something completely original, and be very careful that they don't do anything similar to WoW.

#17 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:07 AM

Somehow Mario and MMO don't go together for me. If they do make one it should be a new IP in my eyes and I don't see that happening.

The closest thing to an MMO we'll see would be something from Pokemon, as some1 mentioned playing with your MiiU (hopefully they'll have upgraded version of the Mii's), in similar style to Guild Wars, as in no monthly fee. You can form parties anywhere, not just in towns, but of course you have to chose which pokemon you want to bring before you leave. I'd like to see a bit more focus on some rpg elements as well, not just the pokemon leveling up but also the main character.
Players get to chose a town somewhere in the game as a starting point, their hometown, with their own house or apartment in order to save game space :P. Some of the more rare pokemon require you to be in a party ranging from 2-5 people in order to catch them, making them even more rare.
Things like pokemon attacks, pokeballs, potions n such show up on your uPad. You can use the touch screen to attack or use the mic to say which attack you want to use. Pokeballs can be thrown towards the tv like the shuriken demo and GRO weapon customisation. uPad can also become a Pokedex, hold the controller up to the screen to scan the pokemon...

Bit of a random collection of ideas but things just popped in my head when pokemon and MMo are said in the same sentence, even though im not the biggest fan, this is always where I thought the series would really shine.

#18 Kinvara

Kinvara

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

Out of all of nintendo's series pokemon or animal crossing are best suited to an MMO style game. I can't imagine them having a WOW-style game maybe something like Second Life except without the creepy.

#19 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Ratchet

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'd really like to see a Pokemon MMO, it would be one of the ones that would actually work extremely well.
Assistant Writer of Wii U Go and Vita/3DS enthusiast.

#20 Droenix

Droenix

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

I think a new IP for a Nintendo MMO would be pretty amazing, but I think Animal Crossing could work perfectly for an MMO almost. Although, if you think about it, it kind of is one already. Albeit, not in the traditioal MMO sense, where you level up and fight enemies, but in a more social kind of MMO. It'd be unique and would be a nice relaxing game for the core players and enjoyable for the casual players as well.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!