Photo

How do I use a USB keyboard on the Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 athenian200

athenian200

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I just tried plugging one in to use the Internet browser, and it didn't work. I'm wondering if it's my keyboard, or the Wii U itself.

I honestly do need a real keyboard to surf the web, so this may force me to stick with the Wii for USB Keyboard support. :/

Also, it seems a little silly to have 4 USB ports if the only thing they're going to be used for is storage devices. What's the point of that, really?

I know that it has a touchscreen keyboard on the Gamepad, and while that's an improvement over using the Wii remote as an input device, it's still not as good as a USB keyboard for me.

#2 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image
But I don't think you can, really.

#3 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Maybe eventually there will be keyboard support, the Wii didn't have it right away I don't believe it did at least.

#4 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

It's not possible at the moment I'm affraid :)

#5 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Is it really necessary anyway? Im sure it wouldn't hurt to use the gamepad.
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

Whilst using an actual physical keyboard may be easier I suspect using the touch screen keyboard on the Gamepad can't be that bad. I've not had a chance to use it yet being in the UK but if its anything like that on the iPad and other tablets then I can't really see why it's such a problem. It's something you have to and end up getting use to anyway.

#7 Hari

Hari

Cheep-Cheep

• Banned
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    you

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

im sure it will support it in the future

#8 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

touch screen is fine, it's better then having to pay for a usb keyboard.
"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction." - Shigeru Miyamoto

#9 athenian200

athenian200

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

Maybe eventually there will be keyboard support, the Wii didn't have it right away I don't believe it did at least.

Yeah, that's always a possibility. It wouldn't be that hard for them to add the capability, I mean they had it on the Wii. I think perhaps it was a oversight, surely they didn't set out to remove it. There isn't a good reason to omit such a useful feature.

Is it really necessary anyway? Im sure it wouldn't hurt to use the gamepad.

Whilst using an actual physical keyboard may be easier I suspect using the touch screen keyboard on the Gamepad can't be that bad. I've not had a chance to use it yet being in the UK but if its anything like that on the iPad and other tablets then I can't really see why it's such a problem. It's something you have to and end up getting use to anyway.

touch screen is fine, it's better then having to pay for a usb keyboard.

Let me put it this way... I hate the idea of typing on an iPad or iPhone, and that is not an uninformed opinion. I'm a touch typist that is slowed down significantly by the lack of a tactile keyboard. I have more than one MECHANICAL keyboard that I paid good money for (I'm talking $80 a keyboard)  because I do a lot of typing and it's worth it to me to have a comfortable input device.

About the only thing I can stand to use a pure iPhone or iPad for is making calls, listening to music, and watching Netflix or something. Now, note that there ARE keyboard peripherals for the iPad, and those are must for me if I'm to use one for any of those text-heavy features like chat.  But generally, If I have to type anything up, I go to my computer, or in a pinch... I'll even plug a keyboard into the original Wii so I can use the Internet browser. But I don't like typing on a touchscreen one bit.

I'm still going to use the Wii U for games, seeing as, presumably, I won't have to do much typing in them. Touchscreens have their uses, they're good for visual selection. But for a touch typist who can produce 80wpm on a real keyboard, the idea of intentionally using an interface that wastes my training and limits me to about 30wpm is unacceptable.

You can tell me it's the future, you can tell me it's cheap. You can tell me I'm stubborn for refusing to adapt, that I'm "missing out." But I will always be able to type circles around everyone who relies on a touchscreen for a keyboard, and you'll pry my Model M clones out of my cold, dead hands. :)

As for the Wii U... I will play any games or use any features on it that don't require me to actually type something out. I mean, it's a game console, and I mostly intended to play games on it anyway. But I will simply rely on my computer, an original Wii, or any other device that DOES allow a keyboard to do typing tasks.

#10 longsh0t

longsh0t

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

The touchscreen serves its purpose but it can be a pain sometimes. I guess it all depends on how active someone is on the Nintendo Network forums. Personally, I'd buy an external/wireless keyboard in a heartbeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!