Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

POPULAR

My take on a new logo for Nintendo. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Posted Image

Logos used on products/packaging:

Posted Image

Edited by Keanu Riives, 17 February 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#2 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

I think thats a cool modernized look you know whats up :P

wjapt2.jpg

#3 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Good initiative but the oldr logo is much better. Your capital N doesn't fit the rest of the letters. The rest of the font is not too consistent, reminds me a bit like a medium ITC-Avantgarde. Font is also used for the new Rare logo.

Edited by Lupaie, 17 February 2013 - 10:54 PM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#4 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

i dont really like the font. i cant place my thumb on the exact reason but i dont. makes it feel like its more of a toy. ill go with that. try comic sans. i heard that its a really great font to use :P

#5 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Good initiative but the oldr logo is much better. Your capital N doesn't fit the rest of the letters. The rest of the font is not too consistent, reminds me a bit like a medium ITC-Avantgarde. Font is also used for the new Rare logo.

The font is actually made by me (I'm a noob at it). You're right, still has a lot of room improvement (like you stated the consistency isn't great). What i did was, I started off with Chalet NewYork as a base font and took letters from the Wii U/Miiverse/eShop/Wii U Chat/TVii/Internet Browser logos and glued them all together. I even included special characters like the Miiverse icon and the "U" icon.

Sample:
font.jpg

This is quite an achievement for me as I am 15 and still learning graphic design and typography but eventually i'll be great at it!

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

#6 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

The font is actually made by me (I'm a noob at it). You're right, still has a lot of room improvement (like you stated the consistency isn't great). What i did was, I started off with Chalet NewYork as a base font and took letters from the Wii U/Miiverse/eShop/Wii U Chat/TVii/Internet Browser logos and glued them all together. I even included special characters like the Miiverse icon and the "U" icon.

Sample:
font.jpg

This is quite an achievement for me as I am 15 and still learning graphic design and typography but eventually i'll be great at it!

the font makes it seem like its geared toward little kids imo

#7 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

I believe one of the reasons why Nintendo has kept the same font for their logo since the NES days is because it's unique and somewhat retro looking.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#8 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

i dont really like the font. i cant place my thumb on the exact reason but i dont. makes it feel like its more of a toy. ill go with that. try comic sans. i heard that its a really great font to use :P

I kinda see what you mean. It's probably because the old logo's font was more serious-looking (blocky, geometric), and the new font is more rounded.

Yes, Comic sans is amazing. I use it all the time, especially on really important design projects! Don't forget rainbow gradients and drop shadows! /s

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

#9 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Sample:
font.jpg

Good practise! Do you use Illustrator? You can easily adjust excisting fonts with that one. Try downloading ITC Avantgarde Heavy and Bold/medium. And then adjust that one. You'll see that it will have a same look but a bit more consistent. True, your newer logo is looking a bit more modern but it has less character. Try to keep that in mind.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#10 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Good practise! Do you use Illustrator? You can easily adjust excisting fonts with that one. Try downloading ITC Avantgarde Heavy and Bold/medium. And then adjust that one. You'll see that it will have a same look but a bit more consistent. True, your newer logo is looking a bit more modern but it has less character. Try to keep that in mind.

I use a program called FontCreator. I have Illustrator, so I might try that out. Define "character"?

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

#11 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

I kinda see what you mean. It's probably because the old logo's font was more serious-looking (blocky, geometric), and the new font is more rounded.

Yes, Comic sans is amazing. I use it all the time, especially on really important design projects! Don't forget rainbow gradients and drop shadows! /s

lol see i told you it was a good font. :D

#12 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

I use a program called FontCreator. I have Illustrator, so I might try that out. Define "character"?

Character: uniqueness, an own identity. Just copy only a few characters from thevoriginal and show it to someone, chances are that they will still identify it as the Nintendo logo even if you mis the N+NDO. Same cannot be said for your logo.

#13 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Character: uniqueness, an own identity. Just copy only a few characters from thevoriginal and show it to someone, chances are that they will still identify it as the Nintendo logo even if you mis the N+NDO. Same cannot be said for your logo.

Hmm.. okay. If you were to redesign the Nintendo logo, how would you do it while keeping it's character?

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

#14 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

IMO the new logo looks more retro than the old one.

Looks great, keep it up :)
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#15 Repsys7

Repsys7

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Nintendo should really own the whole red thing again, Sony has blue, Microsoft have green and red is the retro nintendo colour so they should stick with it.

#16 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Haha, the first second I actually thought they had changed their logo to that. I thought "OMG, they're DOOMED!" :)

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

I actually really like that logo dude, well done, how have you not got a job yet??????????????? HAS THE WORLD GONE CRAZY?!?!?!?!?!?

#18 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

I almost got scared because I didn't see in which subforum this was in! Nintendo shouldn't change it really.
No sig.

#19 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

The difference is very minimal.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#20 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

It's nice but I'd have to say that I prefer the current one. It's still not bad at all!

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New, Nintendo, Logo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!