• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

By the end of the Gamecube Nintendo find itself with a failed console, two massively rich competitors and dwindling fanbase of it's core titles. It can't compete on specs or cash so what does it do next.

Firstly it releases a console based on it's previous on the under power specs of the GC with an innovative controller. No HD, no DVD, no new tech. It's aim at a whole new audience and is built around multiplayers. Cheap to build you can still sell it at a low price while making a big profit, especially with all those peripheral sales multiplayer brings.

Secondly, you now have a giant installed base of people who know your titles and have your equipment but they are getting more sophisticated in their gaming taste. So you design a console which is compatible with their old console but more powerful in order to cater for this. You add a few family friendly gimmicks, off screen play and TVii. You start at a high price point while their is no next gen competition maintain profit and when they launch you can drop the price. You don't sell as many overall but you do build a wide ranging fan base hooked on your key titles.

Thirdly, You are ready to launch a proper next gen console. No need for Blu-ray, or even a disc drive, just a pure efficient online machine.

Maybe?

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

So you are saying the Wii U is not a proper next gen console? -_-

Edited by Sorceror12, 23 February 2013 - 05:45 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

What is your point OP ?

#4 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Just no.
If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#5 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

So you are saying the Wii U is not a proper next gen console? -_-

I'm saying it won't be as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox 720.

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Errr we don't know that yet, so I wouldn't assume if I were you.

#7 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

It's not a criticism. In terms of the Stats (which I know are not the end all/be all) it isn't as power as the PS4 and I don't think it a big leap to say that on paper the XBox 720 will be more powerful.

That's doesn't mean I saying the Wii U won't be close but that Nintendo have once again (righty IMO) not started a power war.

#8 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Yes we do. Judging by the specs announced by Sony last Wednesday the PS4 is certainly on paper far more powerful then the Wii U. Whether Microsoft's mew console is remains to be seen but considering its rumoured to be using similar hardware to the PS4 it may well be too.

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

atm i see no reason besides instal base for games not to come to the wiiu. even down the line, we should see more games when more people get this console, if nintendo would advertise..., i really dont see games being that good where the wiiu couldnt handle them. i know the pc versons could outperform console vers but i doubt that the orbis vers will be so great that they couldnt make a port. i understand it has 8gigs of ram compared to the 2 gigs, i think, of that of the wiiu, but cryterion was able to use pc gfx on it. i think by the time the games get to the point where they take the full power of the orbis, nintendo will be about the unveil a new consol.

#10 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

atm i see no reason besides instal base for games not to come to the wiiu. even down the line, we should see more games when more people get this console, if nintendo would advertise..., i really dont see games being that good where the wiiu couldnt handle them. i know the pc versons could outperform console vers but i doubt that the orbis vers will be so great that they couldnt make a port. i understand it has 8gigs of ram compared to the 2 gigs, i think, of that of the wiiu, but cryterion was able to use pc gfx on it. i think by the time the games get to the point where they take the full power of the orbis, nintendo will be about the unveil a new consol.

Its not called the Orbis. Its already been officially confirmed it will be called the PS4. I think you're mistaken if you think that games on the PS4 will easily be ported to the Wii U and will look even near as good. Not to mention as I keep on saying its not just about the games but the whole game playing experience in which Nintendo and the Wii U are sorely lacking in several areas.

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Its not called the Orbis. Its already been officially confirmed it will be called the PS4. I think you're mistaken if you think that games on the PS4 will easily be ported to the Wii U and will look even near as good. Not to mention as I keep on saying its not just about the games but the whole game playing experience in which Nintendo and the Wii U are sorely lacking in several areas.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Games will be co-developed, not ported (unless ported from PC version) for Wii U and PS4, that said, Wii U can and will be able to handle the same level of graphical fidelity that PS4 can at this point. Perhaps later in the generation we'll see differences, but asserting that PS4 will absolutely blow away the Wii U on a visual level does not line up with everything we've seen or know about graphics processing.

#12 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

By the end of the Gamecube Nintendo find itself with a failed console, two massively rich competitors and dwindling fanbase of it's core titles. It can't compete on specs or cash so what does it do next.

Firstly it releases a console based on it's previous on the under power specs of the GC with an innovative controller. No HD, no DVD, no new tech. It's aim at a whole new audience and is built around multiplayers. Cheap to build you can still sell it at a low price while making a big profit, especially with all those peripheral sales multiplayer brings.

Secondly, you now have a giant installed base of people who know your titles and have your equipment but they are getting more sophisticated in their gaming taste. So you design a console which is compatible with their old console but more powerful in order to cater for this. You add a few family friendly gimmicks, off screen play and TVii. You start at a high price point while their is no next gen competition maintain profit and when they launch you can drop the price. You don't sell as many overall but you do build a wide ranging fan base hooked on your key titles.

Thirdly, You are ready to launch a proper next gen console. No need for Blu-ray, or even a disc drive, just a pure efficient online machine.

Maybe?

The Gamecube wasn't a fail system. Although it was their least best selling system it aint a fail. A failed system would be like the Atari 7800 or the Dreamcast.

The Wii U has a pretty dayum good experience with the cool controller,no season passes,and new ways to play. As I said graphics aren.t everything bro.

It's not a criticism. In terms of the Stats (which I know are not the end all/be all) it isn't as power as the PS4 and I don't think it a big leap to say that on paper the XBox 720 will be more powerful.

That's doesn't mean I saying the Wii U won't be close but that Nintendo have once again (righty IMO) not started a power war.

"Bit wars" are the biggest thing I hated about 90s gaming and the trend of buying a system soley for it's power is unfortunatly becoming a hot topic again.***SIGH***

And???

Edited by FallenSaturn, 25 February 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#13 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Gamejunkie, on 25 Feb 2013 - 14:58, said:

ok so its not called the orbis, i ddn kno tht, but i heard that the devs havnt even maxed out the ps3 yet. i could be mistaken. so i think the wii u will be just fine gfx-wise for a long while. it will be a long time before devs make games so powerfull that the wii u couldnt handle them. as for gameplay...what are you talking about? ya im sure that that small touchpad, online "help" with someone jumping into your game, and the whole multi tasking, are breakthroughs in gameplay. im going to spend 500 dallars just because of those. i might as well just sell my wii u, bc the miiverse, internet browser, touch screen with off tv play, a great eshop, motion control coulnt even stand up to the godly ps4 and its 8gig of ram glory.

Edited by Cozmo, 05 March 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yes we do. Judging by the specs announced by Sony last Wednesday the PS4 is certainly on paper far more powerful then the Wii U. Whether Microsoft's mew console is remains to be seen but considering its rumoured to be using similar hardware to the PS4 it may well be too.

We actually don't, because we don't know the performance characteristics of the Wii U by a long shot.

#15 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

I honestly not sure how long the Wii U's cycle will last, Nintendo like to keep gameplay ideas fresh and I think that Wii U has a maximum of 10 years this generation before Nintendo get bored and bring out a new gameplay method as well as updating specs (this time  the CPU will be a 6 core gekko :P). I believe Sony and Microsoft honestly want a longer generation of up to 16 or even 20 years this time around unless 4k TVs really take off anytime soon...So I reckon Nintendo could release their 9th gen console way head of the competition!

Edited by Penguin101, 04 March 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#16 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

The OP is a troll. He/she has multiple accounts posting nonsense about specs and that's it.

#17 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I honestly not sure how long the Wii U's cycle will last, Nintendo like to keep gameplay ideas fresh and I think that Wii U has a maximum of 10 years this generation before Nintendo get bored and bring out a new gameplay method as well as updating specs (this time  the CPU will be a 6 core gekko :P). I believe Sony and Microsoft honestly want a longer generation of up to 16 or even 20 years this time around unless 4k TVs really take off anytime soon...So I reckon Nintendo could release their 9th gen console way head of the competition!

Well, we do know they are already working on their next home and handheld consoles.

#18 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

no thats the generation after next. were hardware means absolutly nothing.

as for OP. GC didnt sell well but ninty stayed withen its bonds a the time so still cracked a profit. GC was able to compete with xbox (pretty much PS3/360 this gen) specwise. the wii was when nintindo fegured out that games when the race, not hardware, so they released weak hardware with a gimmick to draw people. it worked and won the hardware race and they sold the most next to publishers, but lost to the small gamebase(and revenue sony/microsoft got from 3rd party games). wii fell do to a outdated GPU(the CPU was weaker but was capable, the GPU wasnt). this time ninty kept there hardware modern so there isnt much of a hardware barrier, but relied on word of mouth to advertise, which imediatly faced fanboy bashing, but that fanboy crowed just keeps losing ground.

#19 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Sony lost tons of money selling an overpowered console. Microsoft started making profit out of the 360 only at the end of the generation. Where will these two companies find the money to make another overpowered console? There's definitely not be a huge gap between the consoles in terms of power.

Posted Image

#20 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

^^^ Were do they find the money, Well Microsoft sell millions of copies of windows and believe it or not Sony make a heap of TV's etc. 

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!