Photo

Exactly how large is the power gap between the Wii U and the PS4?

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#81 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Not nearly as large as last gen with wii to ps360.

oh, and you cant use 8 cores on one game. Look up Amdahls law.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#82 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Isn't the real question whether the gap in power is significant enough to prevent PS4/Xbox720 to Wii ports.

The Wii couldn't run full versions of COD, Fifa etc due to the power gap.

Whatever becomes the developer standard we have to hope the Wii U is capable of handling it. The Xbox 360 was the developers choice as the PS3 was a pain so much of that power was wasted.

If the cap is bridgeable and the Wii U has a installed consumer base by the time PS4 and Xbox720 are launched it'll be viable business model for 3rd party developers to port to it.

True, it doesn't reflect that the reviewers had already played to games on the other systems and would have taken into account any lack of extras.

Exactly.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#83 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Interestingly Need For Speed Most Wanted's developers has said that the Wii U version will be using the PC version's textures. Suggest that when properly ported the Wii U is more powerful than we thought.

If all other ports were done the way NFSMW U was done, every single ported title would be at this graphical level and all of the trolls would not be posting how the Wii U is weak and can't compete with event last gen yada yada. Now, there is much more room for graphical improvement beyond that when you take into consideration upcoming games using next gen engines are built from the ground up to take advantage of more modern console architecture. The reality is Wii U was getting ports from current gen games.

Wii U gets a lot of flack on it's performance / graphics currently simply because it's the 1st next gen console out on the market and thus developers didn't throw time, money and other resources to properly show vast improvements that could have been shown off. Only a select few thus far are doing Wii U justice like Criterion.

Once Nintendo releases 1st party titles and the other next gen consoles become ready to market is when we will see more noticeable improvement for the "next gen" games. Economies globally are tough, development and publishing teams have to weigh their resources, time management, and staff. The market will again enlarge with next gen gaming for Nintendo, Sony, and MS and that is when you will really see the step up across the board.

Edited by Sorceror12, 24 February 2013 - 09:48 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#84 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

If all other ports were done the way NFSMW U was done, every single ported title would be at this graphical level and all of the trolls would not be posting how the Wii U is weak and can't compete with event last gen yada yada. Now, there is much more room for graphical improvement beyond that when you take into consideration upcoming games using next gen engines and built from the ground up to take advantage of more modern console architecture. The reality is Wii U was getting ports from current gen games.

Wii U gets a lot of flack on it's performance / graphics currently simply because it's the 1st next gen console out on the market and thus developers didn't throw time, money and other resources to properly show vast improvements that could have been shown off. Only a select few thus far are doing Wii U justice like Criterion.

Once Nintendo releases 1st party titles and the other next gen consoles become ready to market is when we will see more noticeable improvement for the "next gen" games. Economies globally are tough, development and publishing teams have to weigh their resources, time management, and staff. The market will again enlarge with next gen gaming for Nintendo, Sony, and MS and that is when you will really see the step up across the board.

Well said.

#85 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm curious if since the ps4 cpu is only 1.6 ghz if that will actual make it cause less problems porting to the wii U since the clock speed between the two is closer than last gen consoles to the wiiu.

#86 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

disagree, following trends has never been their thing, and yet, many years later, here they are.
since when has following trends been the thing to do? in that case only fps with tons of dlc should be made, since cleary by the numbers thats what gamers want. a real artist creates demand, he doesnt draw/paint what other ppl draw, or sing the same lyrics as the others, or create a program that litteraly runs and looks the same as the competior, you make something new, and hope people like it. media molecule is a Pime example with lbp, and their new game tear away.
and saying they dont make the gameplaying experience easy, im not sure what you mean. if you mean that according to controls, whats hard about that? surely you dont mean the difficulty level in their games is unbearable.

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

#87 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

That's probably Nintendo's biggest wish. Another wii which means tons of money.

28gxdv8.png

#88 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Well as far as architecture goes Wii U will be fine. I am concerned about the RAM situation... Unless Nintendo knows something I don't and have some tricks up their sleeve. The lack RAM could come back to bite them in the A$$.

#89 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Zero Escape

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Nintendo won't have a problem. They've been in the business for far too long and have excellent marketing strategies and know exactly which audiences to target. Even more so this time around with the WIi U. I know people who will literally buy the console simply to play the new Smash Bros. This says a lot about the integrity of Nintendo. I wouldn't be too worried although many of the previous statements said here are true.

Edited by Demon Lord, 24 February 2013 - 11:35 AM.

Free the pokemon!

"I cannot see the future yet... The world is still to be determined..."

#90 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

A cheaper, underpowered console that people will only buy for Nintendo exclusives -.- i know it's been this way since the snes but i still wonder how long will it be before Nintendo's ips no longer be enough to keep their consoles relevant, Nintendo seriously need to make some new ips and revive some old ones, people will soon get tired of Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

No just no... No matter if you want to thin of it or not I can easily see the Wii U being top dog. Micro$oft's nextbox is said to not to be able to play used games and Sony is always sub par with ideas and even lost to the Wii. They also say the Nextbox and PS4's graphics will only be a tad better. And to add to that the Wii U is less shovelware laden that the Wii. Im sick of these graphic hounds creating these not good ccomplaint threads. There needs to be only one thread set aside for the graphic hounds to moan about their woes because this is getting old as hell.

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

Why dont you ever post on non gloom and doom threads Gamejunkie? I really dont understand your logic here.

Signature_DK.png

#91 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm curious if since the ps4 cpu is only 1.6 ghz if that will actual make it cause less problems porting to the wii U since the clock speed between the two is closer than last gen consoles to the wiiu.

Why do you think they left out the clock speef of the CPU, but said it has 8 core's? Sony are experts on marketing and miss info. Case in point: PS2 was not that much better than Dreamcast, but everyone said so.

#92 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Well as far as architecture goes Wii U will be fine. I am concerned about the RAM situation... Unless Nintendo knows something I don't and have some tricks up their sleeve. The lack RAM could come back to bite them in the A$$.

We'll see. It could.

#93 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

As I said 10 billion times before as long as you have a solid system that doesnt require stupid season passes,day one DLC,and blocks used games or is download only you are bound to succeed. Plus there are more people than you think that can find way more fun in Mario than they could ever find in Halo. Instead of listening to Micheal Pachter listen to a well rounded source.

Signature_DK.png

#94 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Posted Image

Everybody thinks ps4 is a super wow thing... yeah right... Hopefully it will be 1080p native

Edited by Orion, 24 February 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#95 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

The gap between the wii u and ps4 is basically a generational gap. The wii u is comparable to 360/PS3 overall and the ps4 is going to perform like a top end PC does today. It's not top end PC specification mind you but being a console it will be totally optimised for gaming and the hardware can be fully utilised as every ps4 will have the same hardware. Effectively making the performance comparable.

However the wii u provides different game experiences thanks to Nintendo's brilliant game developers and the gamepad touch screen. It really is a different gaming experience.

Not all games will need ps4 performance levels anyway.

Also again while the wii u is about 360/PS3 level overall it has better gpu, more memory but inferior cpu performance. This makes its better for some games and weaker for others. So far wii u vs 360/PS3 normally results in the wii u being the weakest format most of the time. Normally the issue is its weaker on a technical level, could be reduced resolution, lower frame rate, missing graphic features, missing physics engine, more inconsistent frame rate. The idea that somehow the wii u is comparable to ps4 when it is struggling to compete with current gen consoles is ridiculous. Hopefully wii u versions of multiformat titles will become more competitive but there is no getting away from the weak wii u cpu performance.

Metacritic scores

-------------------------------wii u------ps3-------360

mass effect 3 87 93 93
batman 85 96 94
assasins creed 85 86 84
sonic transformed 78 82 82
tekken 83 82 83
fifa soccer 13 69 88 90
epic mickey 2 56 59 59
cod black ops 2 81 83 83
madden 75 83 81
nba 86 90 88
darksiders II 85 84 83
Average 79 84 84

Lol

No wonder no one takes you seriously.

It's not a generational gap by any means, but there is a difference in power.

And using old console games sloppily ported to a new gen system with totally different architecture to make your point doesn't help your credibility. Ports are rarely as good as the system(s) the game was intended for. And everyone now knows that Nintendo did not provide proper tools to launch devs. Many of them had to simply let the wii U's power crunch code not meant for it. Once they had the tools, high end PC quality games became trivial (ie: criterions nfs game, which, while a port, FAR exceeds the 360 and ps3 games).

When watch dogs is out in wii u and ps3, go ahead. When x is out, go ahead. When the new metroid is out, go ahead.

But by all means, stop using pointless arguments to pretend to have a point.
It's becoming drivel. Scratch that. It has been drivel.

It will. Depending on which code bases used and compilers used. The architectures share philosophy.

#96 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

No just no... No matter if you want to thin of it or not I can easily see the Wii U being top dog. Micro$oft's nextbox is said to not to be able to play used games and Sony is always sub par with ideas and even lost to the Wii. They also say the Nextbox and PS4's graphics will only be a tad better. And to add to that the Wii U is less shovelware laden that the Wii. Im sick of these graphic hounds creating these not good ccomplaint threads. There needs to be only one thread set aside for the graphic hounds to moan about their woes because this is getting old as hell.
Why dont you ever post on non gloom and doom threads Gamejunkie? I really dont understand your logic here.

You obviously have no clue where I post because I post in lots of threads on lots of different topics. At the end of the day you just can't face up to the situation Nintendo is in and that they have made mistakes and have not presented a compelling and aggressive launch of the Wii U. They haven't done themselves favours by things like not including a large capacity hard drive or decently powered USB 3.0 ports. Not including multi media file playback is another one. Restricting consumers in the EU from buying online digital content rated 18 at a certain time of the day. Not tying digital content to the user ID/account instead of the console. Not having a unifying chat option with head sets. Controlling how frequently people can post on Miiverse. My logic is fine. I'm not going to paint Nintendo as company that is perfect and does everything the way it should be when they don't. I will call them out just like I would with Sony or Microsoft. I suggest if you don't like what I post then don't read it and move on because my opinions are not going to change. Unlike you I'm not going just accept things the way they are when we shouldn't have to.

As I said 10 billion times before as long as you have a solid system that doesnt require stupid season passes,day one DLC,and blocks used games or is download only you are bound to succeed. Plus there are more people than you think that can find way more fun in Mario than they could ever find in Halo. Instead of listening to Micheal Pachter listen to a well rounded source.

If you think that then you're living in the dark ages or have been living under a rock for god knows how long.

Nintendo won't have a problem. They've been in the business for far too long and have excellent marketing strategies and know exactly which audiences to target. Even more so this time around with the WIi U. I know people who will literally buy the console simply to play the new Smash Bros. This says a lot about the integrity of Nintendo. I wouldn't be too worried although many of the previous statements said here are true.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

#97 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Most impressive PS4 game graphically, Killzone, is running 1080p@30fps, and still is no match for Crysis 3 on PC at High settings. So PS4 is no beast, as they are trying to tell us!

#98 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I like to see it as the difference between the PS2 and Gamecube.
The Wii U is (hopefully) the PS2 of this generation!
Bring the noise.

#99 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Most impressive PS4 game graphically, Killzone, is running 1080p@30fps, and still is no match for Crysis 3 on PC at High settings. So PS4 is no beast, as they are trying to tell us!

comparing to killzone 3 on ps3, is not a next gen leap, it has much better textures YES, it has better lighting YES, it has some better effects YES because of the much modern gpu.. but its not A HUGE NEXT GEN leap... Dont forget to make the video 1080p... Also the scenery doesnt help much to compare it, but I notice between these 2 videos, a better depth of field (DOF) and better lighting engine with shadows in ps4.

after seeing this... I need you to consider one thing... WII U is not capable to make that game also at totally the same scale as ps4? With better DOF and better lighting?

I give u this series of walkthrough on ps3, DONT FORGET to turn the video at 1080p for full quality.... You will notice that killzone 4 is just impressive as killzone 3... with better DOF and better light engine and higher quality of textures.... Wii U proved can do that easy.. lol

Edited by Orion, 24 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#100 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

In other words the Wii U can do whatever the PS4 does but mostly they would be in 720p.

Posted Image

Everybody thinks ps4 is a super wow thing... yeah right... Hopefully it will be 1080p native

Posted Image

Hair on the first looks super stringy and stiff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!