Photo

Exactly how large is the power gap between the Wii U and the PS4?

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#161 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image VS Posted Image

as much as i love the wii u, this is pretty telling.

This just tells me the power gap will be much closer than Wii---->PS3/360. Both look great.
Posted Image

#162 Tacomywaffles

Tacomywaffles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

This just tells me the power gap will be much closer than Wii---->PS3/360. Both look great.

very true, they both look good but there is no denying that the ps4 demo looks quite a bit better

That's not real time footage.
'nough said

It doesn't really tell much other than that a two year old Nintendo tech demo running on an old engine designed for different hardware stands up fairly well against an in engine gameplay target render running on a very high powered PC. The bird demo was more compelling visually. The Zelda tech demo was intended to show off the lighting capabilities.

how do both of you you know it's not real time? the hud if you could call it that, is present in the bottom left corner.

dont get me wrong, i too am sceptical if it is real time but i have not found any sources confirming if this is real or not, all i can say for sure is that sony has said that everything shown in the conference is running on the ps4.

#163 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

how do both of you you know it's not real time? the hud if you could call it that, is present in the bottom left corner.

dont get me wrong, i too am sceptical if it is real time but i have not found any sources confirming if this is real or not, all i can say for sure is that sony has said that everything shown in the conference is running on the ps4.

That's what they said back in 2005, and well.. we all know how that ended.

This is what they promised

This is what we got

Just because you see a HUD, it doesn't mean its real time. Hell, even Colonial Marines' trailers were pre-rendered and had lots of HUD on it.

And for a company that even lies about its third party support, you cant expect much really.

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/89809/sony-revises-list-of-third-party-ps4-developers-down-considerably/

Edited by Arkhandar, 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#164 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Both demos are clearly scripted, but Zelda is running in real-time. As far as the other? Not sure.
Posted Image

#165 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Both demos are clearly scripted, but Zelda is running in real-time. As far as the other? Not sure.

I'm pretty sure the Panta Rhei demo is running in real time as well, but not on PS4 hardware. The Zelda demo was running on target hardware back in 2011, which is not representative at all of the final hardware.

very true, they both look good but there is no denying that the ps4 demo looks quite a bit better

Adding a HUD to a target render is a very simple matter. That doesn't indicate anything other than "put a HUD on it, they'll never know"

DevKit maybe, final hardware, doubtful.

Edited by routerbad, 26 February 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#166 Tacomywaffles

Tacomywaffles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

the killzone 2 demo was indeed a target render. but killzone deliverd maybe not all the way but it did come pretty close

Edited by Tacomywaffles, 26 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#167 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

This is what we got

Just because you see a HUD, it doesn't mean its real time. Hell, even Colonial Marines' trailers were pre-rendered and had lots of HUD on it.

And for a company that even lies about its third party support, you cant expect much really.

http://www.gamrrevie...n-considerably/

NICE! Looks like they had to remove Platinum Games from that list as well.

#168 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

I want to say I'm surprised, but I'm really not. SONY lies and over-hypes all the time.

Edited by TheSparrow87, 26 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#169 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

The Zelda demo was running on target hardware back in 2011, which is not representative at all of the final hardware.

Oh yes, I'm aware. :)
Posted Image

#170 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

pretty hilarious reading these hyped ps4 articles. These guys are going nuts over the same things the wii u has over the ps360 they dismissed as irrelevant, like the huge increase in performance power that comes from having the cpu/gpu on the same substrate (mcm) or die (apu).

Its looking more and more like the ps4 is built very similarly to the wii u. Like a souped up version.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#171 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

The Wii U may miss out in terms of SOME multiplatform games, but I really don't see it being Wii level third party sujpport. The power gap has been reduced significantly, and the Wii U looks quite capable.There's no need to make such hasty judgments. Also, I like how you ASKED a question in the thread title and then proceeded by being a Negative Nancy. Why can't people just shut up and play? I thought games were about having fun, not doom and glooming other systems.

Wow. If you actually saw the PS4 conference and paid attention to its abilities how could you be impressed?

Being able to pop in and watch as friend play from thousands of miles away. ... to take control of that game remotely and help. ...very cool.

Watch the Killzone game play footage. Stunning. The Vita able to stream and play PS4 games kinda steals some Wii U thunder.

I have had a Wii u since day one. I will be getting s PS4 day one also.

Seems like the Wii U is my Nintendo only system again... but that is not a bad thing.

Err I mean how could you NOT be impressed. Hehe.

I'm sorry, but none of the gameplay footage looked like it was beyond the PS3's power. And, it was all mostly run on a PC. Looking back at it, HOW COULD you be impressed?

#172 Thugbrown

Thugbrown

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Tbh this kind of reminds me of the ps3 hype over the 360 after both 2005 conferences revealed them and most people were thinking that the ps3 was going to blow the 360 away and the thrid party games were going to be better looking on that system... We all know how that turned out. This is just a wait-n-see how dev are going to take advantage of the systems they develop for and I honestly believe Wii U games will look just as amazing as ps4 but what do I know I'm not a dev .

#173 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

zelda was running in real time, but not sure if it was a PC in the back scene or an actual wii U.. because everybody played with the gamepad and changed the camera scene... remember?

Nobody allowed to change camera scenes via the ps4 controller.

As for the LUMINUS engine... it was a video from E3.. remember? Its not a game that ps4 lovers, speak about...

Edited by Orion, 27 February 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#174 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Depends upon the brand of tampons

I guess.
Bring the noise.

#175 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Tbh this kind of reminds me of the ps3 hype over the 360 after both 2005 conferences revealed them and most people were thinking that the ps3 was going to blow the 360 away and the thrid party games were going to be better looking on that system... We all know how that turned out. This is just a wait-n-see how dev are going to take advantage of the systems they develop for and I honestly believe Wii U games will look just as amazing as ps4 but what do I know I'm not a dev .

True, as others have pointed out before, diminishing returns is gonna bite em in the ass.

#176 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Its also worth pointing out that the Zelda Demo gif there is an off screen shot taken with a cell phone camera.

#177 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

They are incomparable, you can only compare them if they both had similar art styles. And I think the Wii U had way different hardware in E3 2011 than now. The actual Wii U probably can't run that demo in 1080p like the prototype Wii Us.

This is what we got

E3 2006
This is how Tiger Woods 07 will look on PS3
Posted Image

How it really looked
Posted Image

Edited by Soul, 27 February 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#178 Dusean17

Dusean17

Blooper

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Fandom:
    PATAPON | LBP | DIGIMON | ZELDA | KIRBY

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well with the confirmed specs we have confirmation that....well PS4 leaves Xbox and Wii U in the dust. Nevertheless the Wii U is awesome and that won't stop me from picking one up also the Xbox....meh no exclusives and you pay for online service so that's a no no for me personally.

PlayStationUnityampNintendoUnitySingleSi

To visit my Nintendo Channel click the link above, to visit my PlayStation Channel click here.

#179 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

They are incomparable, you can only compare them if they both had similar art styles. And I think the Wii U had way different hardware in E3 2011 than now. The actual Wii U probably can't run that demo in 1080p like the prototype Wii Us.

E3 2006
This is how Tiger Woods 07 will look on PS3
Posted Image

How it really looked
Posted Image

Actually, the wii u can do far better than the 1080p Zelda demo. And the final hardware is a good bit more powerful than the e3 2011 prototype hardware. And even the early hardware was capable of more as Epic had mentioned.

Nintendo doesn't bait and switch like Sony does. In fact, they usually under promise and over deliver.

#180 Tacomywaffles

Tacomywaffles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

i dont wanna piss on everyones parade here but you people do realize the Zelda tech demo never ran in 1080p @ 60FPS.

http://www.eurogamer...-vs-e3-nintendo

the wii u ran that demo in 720p with no AA and @ 30FPS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!