routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Wtf?! You said N64, gamecube, wii, AND Wii U are all 64 bit...

What does this have to do with buses??

He's referring to a 64bit Front Side Bus, the bus (think electronic lanes of travel for data) that connects the CPU to the Northbridge and system memory. The bit rate itself refers to the interface between the CPU and Northbridge specifically, the Northbridge handles communication with system RAM and typically has two 64bit wide channels on that interface (for dual channel).

#22 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

He's referring to a 64bit Front Side Bus, the bus (think electronic lanes of travel for data) that connects the CPU to the Northbridge and system memory. The bit rate itself refers to the interface between the CPU and Northbridge specifically, the Northbridge handles communication with system RAM and typically has two 64bit wide channels on that interface (for dual channel).

What???

Sorry, I don't know jack carp crap about tech...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#23 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

There's a difference between a 64-bits bus and 64-bits instructions. Yes you can have a bigger bus and, yes, theorically, you can have 128-bits instructions. Only, we are VERY far from even getting close to the limit of 64-bits instructions and addressing.
Btw, x86 is indeed 32-bits. 64-bits is not a buzz word. Intel could easily do a pure 64-bit processor if they wanted. The current CPUs are what we call x86-64 CPUs. Why? Because they can use both 32 and 64-bits instructions. This is for compatibility with 32-bits programs of which... are very far from disappearing. Having a 64-bit CPU's main advantage is memory addressing. The theoretical limit of 64-bits memory addressing is over 1 exabyte. There's no way in hell that any hardware and software available now can even use or address that much.
For the WiiU, I can see it using a 32-bit CPU with 2GB of RAM. ARM released in 2011 a 64-bits CPU but we don't know if Nintendo went for an older chip or this recent one. It could be 64-bits. Having only 2 GB of memory doesn't mean it's stuck to 32-bits. Of course, there's no advantages but it doesn't mean 64-bits can't have less than 4GB of memory.
Some other good points. 64-bit isn't marketing, it's real stuff. ;)
P.S Didn't know about the IA64 CPU but I've heard the "IA" thing elsewhere (probably wikipedia, haha) so I believe you here ;)

Well put.

Wii u's cpu is a ppc750xx series (likely a heavily modified fx/gx, or a vmx-less entry planned after the zx, that was never publically announced.).

They are 32bit instruction cpu's with an enhanced 60x 64bit front side bus.

On an interesting note, two of the wii u's cpu cores have the same amount of cache as the ps4's jaguars cores, and one has 2x the cache.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#24 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Bits are very narrow when discussing a systems power. It's like comparing the 32-bit Playstation to the 64-bit Atari Jaguar. Just one standalone statistic doesnt make a system more powerful than another.

Signature_DK.png

#25 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

What does this have to do with buses??

Posted Image

#26 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image

Idiot.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#27 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Idiot.

Posted Image

#28 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

this was really asked !
:rolleyes:

#29 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image

I'm confused...

sfOI1m6.jpg

#30 blu gamepad

blu gamepad

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Posted Image

Clever.

#31 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

There's a difference between a 64-bits bus and 64-bits instructions. Yes you can have a bigger bus and, yes, theorically, you can have 128-bits instructions. Only, we are VERY far from even getting close to the limit of 64-bits instructions and addressing.

Btw, x86 is indeed 32-bits. 64-bits is not a buzz word. Intel could easily do a pure 64-bit processor if they wanted. The current CPUs are what we call x86-64 CPUs. Why? Because they can use both 32 and 64-bits instructions. This is for compatibility with 32-bits programs of which... are very far from disappearing. Having a 64-bit CPU's main advantage is memory addressing. The theoretical limit of 64-bits memory addressing is over 1 exabyte. There's no way in hell that any hardware and software available now can even use or address that much.

For the WiiU, I can see it using a 32-bit CPU with 2GB of RAM. ARM released in 2011 a 64-bits CPU but we don't know if Nintendo went for an older chip or this recent one. It could be 64-bits. Having only 2 GB of memory doesn't mean it's stuck to 32-bits. Of course, there's no advantages but it doesn't mean 64-bits can't have less than 4GB of memory.

Some other good points. 64-bit isn't marketing, it's real stuff. ;)

P.S Didn't know about the IA64 CPU but I've heard the "IA" thing elsewhere (probably wikipedia, haha) so I believe you here ;)

IA64 is Intel Itanium, they only really get a lot of use with purpose build blade servers, but Windows, RHEL, HPUX, Unix, Solaris, etc have IA-64 versions. So do VMWare ESX and that other hypervisor that we dare not speak of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!