• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

So it's to my understanding the gamecube was more powerfull than the ps2 but slightly under the xbox in terms of power?

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

This is correct.

The Xbox blows the PS2 when it comes to power, but it's slightly more stronger than the Gamecube.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

More proof that power means nothing for sales. It's the games!

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:08 AM

More proof that power means nothing for sales. It's the games!

hmmm, that's weird because the GAMECUBE had awesome games yet still finished last that gen. Although the PS2 library was unarguably the est of any system to date.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

The gamecube and the xbox were pretty close in terms of power. I'm pretty sure almost every game on the xbox could be run on a gamecube.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#6 DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Halo

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

I remember some better looking GameCube games than Xbox. Just my opinion.

#7 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

I think most people were turned off the cube just because of how it looked.

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

I remember some better looking GameCube games than Xbox. Just my opinion.

Xbox had one major thing going for it that the cube didnt.

A programable shader pipeline.

So, at the expense of its already bottlenecked polygon throughput, the xbox could have lighting and shading the cube just couldnt do.

This led to the then novel and enjoyable ability to have decent pc ports on a console.... Its sad to see something i enjoyed so much at one time be run into the ground so much i now actively despise it.

Typically, gamecube had larger areas, higher polycounts, and more texture layers (8 layers over the boxes 6) while the xbox had small areas slathered in normal mapping with a unified lighting and shading engine.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Correctomundo, only problem was 3rd party devs didn't like the size of the discs, and so the trouble between Nintendo and 3rd parties began

#10 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Yes some Xbox multiplats looked better due to programmable shaders that were available to 3rd party developers. GameCube's were only accessible to first party I believe.

Very nice article on GameCube's specs, they interview Factor 5 developer (They made the Rougue Squadron games): http://www.nintendow.../interview/1906

"On a technical level, GameCube is stronger than the PS2 and on par with the X-Box"

Edited by Forza Juventus, 01 March 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yes some Xbox multiplats looked better due to programmable shaders that were available to 3rd party developers. GameCube's were only accessible to first party I believe.

Very nice article on GameCube's specs, they interview Factor 5 developer (They made the Rougue Squadron games): http://www.nintendow.../interview/1906

"On a technical level, GameCube is stronger than the PS2 and on par with the X-Box"

Gamecube didn't have programmable shaders, they were all fixed function shaders.

#12 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Correctomundo, only problem was 3rd party devs didn't like the size of the discs, and so the trouble between Nintendo and 3rd parties began

The trouble between 3rd Parties and Nintendo started with the N64, but for the same reason. When they finally had good disc sizes, it was the Wii...

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#13 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

hmmm, that's weird because the GAMECUBE had awesome games yet still finished last that gen. Although the PS2 library was unarguably the est of any system to date.

But it had power. The PS3 has power, and has games, but where is it on?

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#14 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Honestly I understand the enjoyment of Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Kingdom Hearts, and other series on the PS2. But some games, like Tony Hack Pro Skater series look terrible compared to the gamecube. Honestly I thought the Gamecube was more attractive then the PS2 quite clunky. 

Stupid Snowmads!

#15 Joshua West

Joshua West

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Fire Emblem

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

The trouble between 3rd Parties and Nintendo started with the N64, but for the same reason. When they finally had good disc sizes, it was the Wii...

Technically it started with the NES with Nintendo's policies such as the neccesary quality control of the Nintendo Seal of approval or the required two year exclusivity required on NES games

#16 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Technically it started with the NES with Nintendo's policies such as the neccesary quality control of the Nintendo Seal of approval or the required two year exclusivity required on NES games

Yeah, Nintendo was never good with third parties. The reason they got away with it with the NES was because there was pretty much no other choice. They dropped a lot of those restrictions when the Genesis started to pick up some steam.

I just realized that 80's Nintendo was kinda like Microsoft in the way they control 3rd Party games for their system. The difference is that Nintendo did that to prevent another crash, while Microsoft likes money.

Edited by TheUltimateWaddleDee, 02 March 2013 - 07:44 AM.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

TheUltimateWaddleDee, on 01 Mar 2013 - 20:10, said:The trouble between 3rd Parties and Nintendo started with the N64, but for the same reason. When they finally had good disc sizes, it was the Wii...
Oh, thank's for correcting me lol, I knew it was one of them lol :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!