72 replies to this topic

#1 WazMeister

WazMeister

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi All,

New here, wanted some nice Wii U forums to discuss games and so forth!

Baislcy I never played a Monster Hunter (MH) game before, hence this one I looked forward to on the wii U!  I expected from reading sites a game that you level up your char, get the gear and armor up your main charcter whilst fighting bosses etc etc.

After trying the demo it seems you always pick from a template of chars and then the game is very linear map areas which loads when you run only a few CM's up the snow.  Was hoping for a real good indepth game with massive boss battles, leveling and tweaking the chars we play.... along with Co-Op play (thats if MH3 will have any).

Is the Demo a true rep of the game or have  I just built m hopes up too high?

I can not see myself buying this title.. which is a same as I was so excited.  The combat feels really rigidg and not smooth enough and just smashing buttons on a boss to end the level......

#2 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

its just a demo. in the full game way better bosses and monsters, able to make your character, get armor and weapons, and all that stuff. besides, you need to play online to get the full experience of MH. also, you can do combos with weapons to do more damage and its not just mashing the same button.

Edited by Carl, 01 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

bb0.gif

#3 CLOSED

CLOSED

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

The demo for Monster Hunter was also my first time and by how the demo went, it seemed like it didn't make the game seem as good as it actually should have been.

Edited by Zallarax, 01 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

God damn the gaming media is worthless.

No, the demo is not representative of the game.

The demo simply lets you choose a high ranking armor and weapon to test the game mechanics.

Its going to be a very long time before you even SEE most of the monsters that make up those sets.

But there is no character leveling, all stat and skill customization is derived from the armor and weapon stats.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 hammers2332

hammers2332

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • NNID:hammers2332

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have never played MH before, but having played the demo and can't wait to buy the game.  I would rather pay for a challenging game that is going to take up some serious amount of my time rather than a game i am going to be able to finish in a few hours.  With the announcement about being able to play on the gamepad i am counting down the days to the UK MH launch.

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

I agree, by what the demo was it was downright terrible gameplay mixed with terrible load screens that were way to frequent and no tutorial so I had no idea what to do. I'm glad I got the demo to save me from that crap of a game. Also the graphics looked as if it had been built on the wii, not that I'm a graphics whore, it's just I was expecting a bit more from such a revered title. If they change the crappy two move combat system and the extremely linear maps and cut the loading screens down a lot I might reconsider buying it. But until then it is a definate no buy.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Absolutely hate the monster hunter games. I love the look of them and admire the amount of polish but soon as I start playing them they just don't work for me. This game also does the wii u no favours visually.

#8 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

I agree, by what the demo was it was downright terrible gameplay mixed with terrible load screens that were way to frequent and no tutorial so I had no idea what to do. I'm glad I got the demo to save me from that crap of a game. Also the graphics looked as if it had been built on the wii, not that I'm a graphics whore, it's just I was expecting a bit more from such a revered title. If they change the crappy two move combat system and the extremely linear maps and cut the loading screens down a lot I might reconsider buying it. But until then it is a definate no buy.

The game was built on the Wii, and this is a port with added content. So that's why the graphics look the way they do.

#9 WaddleDee

WaddleDee

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

This is why I ALWAYS discourage people to play demos for a future game from a series, the smarter move is to just pick up an earlier game from the same franchise to see what the game really is about.

They really ruined it for themselves with the MH demo though, Monster Hunter isn't a game you can just pick up and play if you haven't played it before, anyway. And then they further ruin it by just letting you loose in a mission like  you're instantly supposed to know what to do.

People arn't going to like your game when all they do is run around without knowing what they're doing, resulting in death by a giant monster.

#10 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

I love the MH series. If your bent on being able to level up then I guess look elsewhere. Gear is huge in this game and while I haven't played the demo, I played other versions and it is a great game that makes you think before you strike. I like the none leveling up mechanic because it makes you choose your armor/weapons more carefully and you will also be switching things up against different monsters.

Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Not wii, 3ds. Its the 3ds game. Like, the same exact game. Monster hunter has never been made ground up for a console more powerful than wii.

And most weapons have around 10-20 moves.

Switch axe has 18-20 if you count cancels and early finishes as moves. And way more if you count dodges.

Its not the game dude. Its you. You dont have the skills to pay the bills. THATS why the series is so 'revered'. Because it will never, EVER compromise that.

The loading screens are just monster hunter tradition though. Just imagine them taking 4x as long (they used too) At least until mh4, which is doing away with small arena areas for a more openworld style.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 mii-gamer

mii-gamer

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

i did not like the monster hunter on the wii, not sure i'll get it for the wii u

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

i did not like the monster hunter on the wii, not sure i'll get it for the wii u

Dont. You just plain dont like monster hunter. Get dragons dogma instead. Should be able to find it used for ps360 for like, 20 bucks.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Not wii, 3ds. Its the 3ds game. Like, the same exact game. Monster hunter has never been made ground up for a console more powerful than wii.And most weapons have around 10-20 moves.Switch axe has 18-20 if you count cancels and early finishes as moves. And way more if you count dodges.Its not the game dude. Its you. You dont have the skills to pay the bills. THATS why the series is so 'revered'. Because it will never, EVER compromise that.The loading screens are just monster hunter tradition though. Just imagine them taking 4x as long (they used too) At least until mh4, which is doing away with small arena areas for a more openworld style.

im not bad at video games if that's what your saying. I just thought that the combat in monster hunter is very bland, and now I know it's built for the 3DS the graphics and small areas make a lot more sense. And maybe the reason newbies are so bad at it is because their was no tutorial and I had no idea what I was doing. And if load screens are "tradition" I'm sorry but that's a really really bad tradition to have. I'm glad they will do away with them on MH4. Hopefully the demo was just a bad representation of the game, because if not i don't know how anyone would enjoy it. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#15 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

The demo just basically throws you out in the blue with one type of weapon and no tutorial  if you have played a MH game before it shouldn't be too much trouble adapting. Monster hunter isn't a game you will learn completely overnight, it takes time and requires you to slow down a little before heading out on battles.

The full version will have you start off with one very basic (and weak) weapon, than you will have to fight smaller animals and gather other various materials to fashion them up into a bigger, stronger weapon. It may sound a little boring spending the first few hours collecting various items, but once you finally defeat a large monster you get such an immense feeling of satisfaction.

MH is not for everyone but is by no means a bad game, just get past that difficultly curb and you will have a great time.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#16 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

all of you who think that MH is just a "button masher", obviously doesn't look deep enough in the game. for the gunlance, you have to be able to use the shield, gun, and lance all at the same time if you want to do your best and not get hit, which can be very difficult since you have to get very close to actually git with the gun and know when to reload. for the Long Sword, you have to create combos to do the most damage and know when to use the R combo to power up your sword, which can be hard since the monster will move, making you wait for the right time to attack. With all the potions and items you get in the demo, you might just be able to run up and just button mash, but if you don't have a lot of potions, it can be very difficult to know when to attack. 

bb0.gif

#17 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

im not bad at video games if that's what your saying. I just thought that the combat in monster hunter is very bland, and now I know it's built for the 3DS the graphics and small areas make a lot more sense. And maybe the reason newbies are so bad at it is because their was no tutorial and I had no idea what I was doing. And if load screens are "tradition" I'm sorry but that's a really really bad tradition to have. I'm glad they will do away with them on MH4. Hopefully the demo was just a bad representation of the game, because if not i don't know how anyone would enjoy it. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

3Dude is a blind as can be fanboy, there really is no point trying to talk about Monster Hunter with him.

#18 Scizor

Scizor

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Bland? Really? Bland is the typical hack n' slash people were expecting. Can you even name a game with combat similar to Monster Hunter? If you want a tutorial, just read the digital manual and try out attacks on non-boss enemies. I don't know why people expect everything to be given to them.

Edited by Scizor, 01 March 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

I played the Demo and it doesn't seem like my type of game, Monster Hunter seems like an aquired taste, not really a big fan of CapCom either.

#20 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

You're not alone. For me MH3 HD does not feel like a home console game. I was expecting a more open word experience. Instead I get loading screens every 10 seconds warping me to different small battle arenas. I deleted my demo gladly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!