• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

Fair point but not revolutionary. The only thing that is revolutionary is u can switch from tv to ur touchscreen to play

Not revolutionary?!? How is the first console controller to have a touch screen (also the first console controller to have any large screen) NOT revolutionary? It's got the quality and features of the other modern controllers, but also includes a "gimmick" that's actually good, unlike the original Wii. Seriously, the only thing I'm not liking about this system so far is the name - and I'm sure we'll all get used to that.

#22 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:04 AM

Not revolutionary?!? How is the first console controller to have a touch screen (also the first console controller to have any large screen) NOT revolutionary? It's got the quality and features of the other modern controllers, but also includes a "gimmick" that's actually good, unlike the original Wii. Seriously, the only thing I'm not liking about this system so far is the name - and I'm sure we'll all get used to that.

To be honest, I'm sure that I'd call the touchscreen revolutionary. It's a first on a console and it is innovative, but Nintendo are essentially taking something that worked well on the DS and implementing it into their new console. Don't get me wrong, I think that the touchscreen is a great idea, but I don't think it's revolutionary.

In my opinion, the Wii controller was more revolutionary, as it changed the way people play video games. Until the Wii, video games had mainly been about pressing buttons on a controller. I'd also say that being able to use the Wii U controller's screen instead of a TV screen is revolutionary, as it's the first time that console games can be played without using a TV screen.

#23 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

To be honest, I'm sure that I'd call the touchscreen revolutionary. It's a first on a console and it is innovative, but Nintendo are essentially taking something that worked well on the DS and implementing it into their new console. Don't get me wrong, I think that the touchscreen is a great idea, but I don't think it's revolutionary.

In my opinion, the Wii controller was more revolutionary, as it changed the way people play video games. Until the Wii, video games had mainly been about pressing buttons on a controller. I'd also say that being able to use the Wii U controller's screen instead of a TV screen is revolutionary, as it's the first time that console games can be played without using a TV screen.

While I agree that the Wii remote was hardly a useless gimmick, especially pointer controls, but I definitely think this controller is revolutionary. The DS screen was simply too small and insensitive, as well as limited to only one, plus it was stuck to the top screen. The WiiU's tablet, on the other hand, is large enough for a finger to use, which also allows more detailed things on the screen. The issue of sensitivity is solved as soon as Nintendo releases a pressure-sensitive stylus, which they no doubt will.

This solves two main problems with the DS' touch-screen. 1. Drawing. You can't draw properly without a pressure sensor... I'm not sure quite how much of a difference it makes, as I don't own a tablet yet, but it does make a large one. Think of how awesome your Mario Kart decal could be if you could draw it as if you were drawing on paper! 2. Aiming. While the DS' stylus could be used for aiming, as shown in games like Metroid: Prime Hunters, it created a huge issue: You lost control of half the controller. The WiiU Tablet would still have this problem... But it would be much better because you have the button inside the stylus! So rather than holding R to fire, you simply push down, leaving those buttons for less important tasks! And if it's a half decent pressure sensor, you could actually control how strongly you fire, such as using less water with FLUDD in Mario Sunshine.

Then there are two more things that the Tablet changes from the DS: Being able to have multiple Tablets/use other controllers and not being restricted by the 'Big Screen.' The first allows more detailed multiplayer gaming, the second allows special types of games, like the Wii-Sports-esque game we say in the trailer. I don't think I need to elaborate on them, as their usefulness is quite obvious :(
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#24 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

I hadn't thought of that. You mean I could use my Wii U controller as an intuos tablet?! Me wants!

There is no way its using standard Bluetooth though as it just doesn't have the bandwidth to stream video, sound and controls with minimal lag over bluetooth.

Stereo bluetooth headsets sound like crap because of the lack of bandwidth (and that's JUST audio) and Bluetooth 3 can't help either as it "cheats" by using WiFi to get the extra speed, which would mean Nintendo putting TWO WiFi chips in the Wii U (one for Internet, one for controller) which I can't see them doing as it still wouldn't guarantee low lag.

Its far more likely the Wii U will talk to the controller using some properietary protocol which would require extensive reverse engineering to get it working on PC and may require custom hardware to do so.

While I agree that the Wii remote was hardly a useless gimmick, especially pointer controls, but I definitely think this controller is revolutionary. The DS screen was simply too small and insensitive, as well as limited to only one, plus it was stuck to the top screen. The WiiU's tablet, on the other hand, is large enough for a finger to use, which also allows more detailed things on the screen. The issue of sensitivity is solved as soon as Nintendo releases a pressure-sensitive stylus, which they no doubt will.

This solves two main problems with the DS' touch-screen. 1. Drawing. You can't draw properly without a pressure sensor... I'm not sure quite how much of a difference it makes, as I don't own a tablet yet, but it does make a large one. Think of how awesome your Mario Kart decal could be if you could draw it as if you were drawing on paper! 2. Aiming. While the DS' stylus could be used for aiming, as shown in games like Metroid: Prime Hunters, it created a huge issue: You lost control of half the controller. The WiiU Tablet would still have this problem... But it would be much better because you have the button inside the stylus! So rather than holding R to fire, you simply push down, leaving those buttons for less important tasks! And if it's a half decent pressure sensor, you could actually control how strongly you fire, such as using less water with FLUDD in Mario Sunshine.

I doubt very much the Wii U controller will be any more pressure sensitive than the DS/3DS. All resisitive screens that I am aware of have a certain amount of pressure sensitivity, but its not particularly accurate. For a good pressume sensitive tablet you need a proper digitizer which I cannot see Nintendo spending the extra money just to get good pressure sensitivity.

Then again I am confused about most of your suggestions, as all of those seem to be assuming we are using the touch screen as an analog stick like Metroid on DS did. Why would we do that when we have two analog sticks right there on the pad?

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#25 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

Because aiming with a second stick sucks for Wii FPS players.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#26 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • NNID:PrinceLuna
  • Fandom:
    007, Team Fortress 2, Zelda, Ponies

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

Plus, you'll probably be able to use it with the computer Via blu-tooth.

Would just want there to be connectivity to my home network, as my 250GB external hard drive is connected to my PC, it is shared on the network. If my Wii U would be able to connect to the hard drive through the network, I won't have to by a new one for my Wii U. (Given that GameCube games will be downloadable, if they are not then there really isn't a need for extra space beyond my SD card...)
Posted Image

#27 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I doubt very much the Wii U controller will be any more pressure sensitive than the DS/3DS. All resisitive screens that I am aware of have a certain amount of pressure sensitivity, but its not particularly accurate. For a good pressume sensitive tablet you need a proper digitizer which I cannot see Nintendo spending the extra money just to get good pressure sensitivity.

Then again I am confused about most of your suggestions, as all of those seem to be assuming we are using the touch screen as an analog stick like Metroid on DS did. Why would we do that when we have two analog sticks right there on the pad?

First off, I was talking about the STYLUS being pressure-sensitive. The controller only needs to supply the context; ie. where's being pressed.

Secondly, Analog stick is one of the worst methods of aiming, beating only C pad and Keyboard. Both The Tablet, pointer and Mouse are far superior. So if you're not going to use the Tablet for controls, why not just pick up a Wii remote?

EDIT: Grammar fix :S

Edited by Wertville, 04 August 2011 - 08:01 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#28 kris1206

kris1206

Blooper

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Some 3rd parties will develop touch screen controls for the vita's connection with the ps3 as a controller so really the people who will lose out is the xbox gamers unless the kinect can be improved to be used for actual games.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!