Photo

how was the wiiu suppost to attract core gamers again ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm guessing partly by having a reputation for creating classic titles exclusive to their machine core which anyone with more than a passing interest in games should have experienced. Also by having a unique control system which adds new unique features to ported titles.

I figure through targeting younger/causal gamers with the wii they sort to develop their own core gamer base. For example Nintendo Land being showcase and practice area for a range of their key titles.

Once the next gen race gets going they can drop the price to build a user base of gamers looking for a reliable machine which fits more easily into their life (off screen play) and attract 3rd party developers by having a plenty of users.

#22 Bonac

Bonac

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,Megaman, Metal Gear Solid

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

hardcore gamers are already on board for the ps4 nintendo shouda made the gamepad more attractive to core gamers and advertise better once again nintendo fans will have to face yet another gen of ridicule by ps and xbox players because of nintendos inability to comprehend with the current state of gaming

You know what Nintendo should really do? Take some of that money they have and teach you some English so you can actually TRY to get your opinion across properly lol...

#23 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

You know what Nintendo should really do? Take some of that money they have and teach you some English so you can actually TRY to get your opinion across properly lol...

Hey, that's not nice. Aside from punctuation and a few minor errors, nothing was really wrong with his post.

#24 Bonac

Bonac

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,Megaman, Metal Gear Solid

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hey, that's not nice. Aside from punctuation and a few minor errors, nothing was really wrong with his post.

Woah I re read what he wrote down and saw the perspective he took was really not negative or "trolly" lol... I thought he was being negative but was really trying to give some constructive criticism, my bad....

#25 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

How old is the Wii U again? Yea. We're still kinda in the launch window.
Posted Image

#26 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

They have done a terrible job. Why they show Ken Levine at E3 2011 praising the Wii U and 2 years later we aren't getting Bioshock Infinite. I am tired of misssing out on so many games that appeal to me. I am getting a PS4 for the triple AAA games and my Wii U for the ocassional good game that might come its way.

That about sums it up. Another Nintendo console which will only play 1st party titles and leave the serious gaming to the big boys (atm PS4 )

#27 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

More games some of which I'm sure will be great plus a price cut and a bundle or two will shift more wii u's. Nintendo have failed to sell the wii u at an inflated price but like the 3DS it can be saved. Nintendo needed a higher spec to bring back core gamers though and Nintendo went cheap on the wii u spec so that isn't really going to happen. A shame but that was Nintendo's decision. However the fact the wii u is very cheap to make means they can sell at a lower price.

#28 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

By getting 2 year old games on their console, of course!

794144.png?13383682

#29 nesdan321

nesdan321

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Remember when Ps3 and 360 came out how slow they were and how sub par the games looked it took both of those consoles their entire lifespan to to utilize their capabilities to max potential. Wii U is the same thing. Nintendo pushed it out so we could have a new Christmas console so of course everything wasn't ironed out. Trust me you will see major improvements in Wii U come end of year. When we get all our updates and the system is running more to its potential. But your not going to see the amazing things from this console until mid to end life.

#30 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

The ps3 has taken a while to get the best of but many early 360 titles are quite impressive and the wii u shares much more in common with the 360 than ps3. Rogue Squadron was a launch game on gamecube and still perhaps the most impressive title on gamecube and wii. Wii u is using the same basic cpu architecture as gamecube just faster and the graphics hardware is off the shelf so to speak. The wii u is the snes to the 360's megadrive. A similar level of performance overall but each design has its own strengths. Anyway wii u games will improve I'm sure but part of that improvement will be writing games to the strengths of the wii u. which is basically games that don't need as much cpu resources, typicall driving games that push a lot of graphic data but don't require complex a.i., physics engines etc.

The wii u is still hugely more powerful than wii and Nintendo did some amazing things with the wii so no need to worried about the future, it just won't be technically capable of doing the same games that push the PS4 and Xbox 720 hardware but it will be capable of doing enhanced versions of PS3 and 360 games and offering uniqure playability options thanks to the gamepad.

#31 Bunkei

Bunkei

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

I still think it's a bit premature to assume that the Wii U will not be technically capable in handling multi-platform games designed for the next gen consoles.  We will need to wait until late this year to really answer that question.

#32 Alii

Alii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • NNID:zangoose
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing / Kirby / Pokemon

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Too soon to judge,

Come back next year.

small_zpsfe204a57.jpg

#33 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

I still think it's a bit premature to assume that the Wii U will not be technically capable in handling multi-platform games designed for the next gen consoles.  We will need to wait until late this year to really answer that question.

No we already know the wii u performs to a similar level to 360 and PS3. It's not premature at all as we know its maximum memory bandwidth as fact and the body of evidence elsewhere shows the wii u performs to the same level as the curren gen models. Often wii u games have weaknesses compared to 360 and PS3 versions so its totally unrealistic to think on that basis the wii u will compare to ps4 or xbox 720. All the same stuff was said about the wii being able to match the 360 and PS3 but it never happened, if anything things got worse for wii except for Nintendo's own titles. Many later wii games were practically thrown together.

#34 Mensrea

Mensrea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid,Zelda ,Pikmin ,Resistance

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't think that was their plan at all. Their plan seemed to be to make a console that would piggyback off the Wii's huge success by adding a new control feature (touch) that would appeal to non gamers. Then they would back that up with their stable of IP's that appeal to the Nintendo fanbase. 

The problem is, the non gamers that ate up the Wii, don't really care about the Wii U. So Nintendo is in a pickle right now. 

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

#35 ArmedPrimate

ArmedPrimate

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • NNID:BringerOfBooze
  • Fandom:
    Cloud (FFVII), Master Chief (Halo)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm probably going to buy the next box and PS4 but coming from primarily playing on Sony's PS, PS2, PS3, PSP and Microsoft's Xbox and Xbox 360, I bought the Wii U because it looked pretty cool and has some games I was interested in, a big selling point on it for me was that it is basically a Wii as well. I was reluctant because the last Nintendo console I had was the Gamecube and Nintendo DS. The only thing that I don't like is the crappy selection of games, small community and apparently third party support but all I hear is developers and publishers talking horse scat about Nintendo. I hope this all gets better, right now I'm not totally happy but I'm being sucked in by Monster Hunter, I love it :)

#36 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

By giving us a mature Mario.....Nah I dunno i thinkthey were just saying that, I think their main focus should be revolving around the children like when i was little.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#37 Alii

Alii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • NNID:zangoose
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing / Kirby / Pokemon

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Good graphics,A standard pro controller,Mature games and third party support. They're working on it I guess c:

Good graphics,A standard pro controller,Mature games and third party support. They're working on it I guess c:

small_zpsfe204a57.jpg

#38 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

The Wii U is not meant to attract "Core" gamers. If it was, it wouldn't of been released with 8 year old hardware. 2 GB DDR 3 RAM? Slow CPU... Do you seriously think that the Wii U will be able to play games running Unreal 4 or id Tech 5 the way they were intended to... if at all?

The Wii U was named the "Wii U" because it was meant to attract the soccer mom and grandma that will recognize the "Wii" name and maybe, just maybe pick one up at the local Wal-Mart after she's done shopping for underwear.

I have no idea who Nintendo was thinking they are going to market this console to. The problem is that the Wii U fail's horribly at both attracting the Core AND casual markets. Core gamers laugh at the "Kiddy" Nintendo machine that is barley on level with 360 / PS3 hardware and is waiting for the 720/PS4. The casual market has no idea what the hell the Wii U even is, and they think it's just an add-on to the original Wii that is collecting dust in their living rooms.

The original Wii at least had the fitness angle... getting all the fat American’s off the couch and doing a little exercise. That is what sold 97% of the original Wii units. The Wii U... has nothing but a big, bulky, useless controller to try and sell consoles with. Oh wow, I can play a game on a little SD screen on the controller instead of looking at my 60in HD LED LCD? WOW! Sign me up.

Edited by Cyanotic, 24 March 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#39 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

Well it got me to buy one and i guess i'm a core gamer, although this time round i think i'm just going with WiiU and PC which i really didn't even think about a couple of months ago. This way i should get the best of both worlds should the WiiU end up with little 3rd party support. Also i can see the PC gaming platform has come a long way so don't see the need for PS4.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#40 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

I myself see no need for a gaming PC anymore. I like the idea of having PS4 for my general gaming needs.

I have had a Wii U since launch and besides my initial like of Zombie U it has had little use. In fact I have Monster Hunter for both Wii U and 3ds and have yet to put the disc in the Wii U.

I had high hopes for the Wii U, but it is now clear it will be the niche machine for the Nintendo titles and all the serious games will be done better and played on other consoles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!