Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Come one!  Come all!  Come to the MH3U help thread! 

If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask them here.  Hopefully, I or someone else can answer your question.  But before we get to any of that, I’m gonna drop a whole bunch of knowledge on you.  There is a lot here but it's almost all basic game mechanics.  Now a couple of things I say might come off harsh, but that’s because I’m adamant about something (see the Multiplayer section).  There will also be times where I say, “generally,” or, “in most cases.”  These mean exactly what they sound like.  Not all the time, but most of the time.  There might be some things that I meant to check in the game and edit, but forgot to.  In the online section, “everyone welcome” got changed to “anyone is welcome” in the new game.  There might be some other name errors and if you see one let me know.  Everything here is something I’ve seen too many rookies misunderstand or mistakes about.

This information is not comprehensive, there’s still plenty I won’t talk about, but the topics covered will include:
Basic Mechanics
Armor
Weapons
Singleplayer
Multiplayer
The Charm System

Newcomers should definitely read everything, but the most important things are probably Multiplayer and the Charm System.

Veterans, you need to read the Charm System too.

Also, I recommend the following sites for more information:
http://monsterhunter...ter_Hunter_Wiki
http://mh3-ultimate.com/
http://www.capcom-un...-and-3-ultimate

The first is the general MH wiki.  The second is more dedicated to MH3U.  The last is Capcom’s official MH3 and MH3U forum.  These are sites where I typically mine information.

One more good place is here:
http://www.capcom-un...3-ultimate-demo

This guy’s videos explain a lot, albeit a little fast.  He also shows things in practice.

Couple more bits of information.  When asking questions, do try to show some humility and have a willingness to learn.  Many times I have tried to help people and got a response of, “Shut the **** up you elitist jerk! I know what I’m doing!”  Trust me, they had no freaking clue what they were doing.  As a result, me and many other veterans tend not to help people unless they ask for help and don’t act like their the greatest hunter ever.  Otherwise, we end up wasting our time

Also, there are couple things that aren’t in the game on release and require updates for them.  Keyboard and voice chat get an update day 1, but a merging of the North American and European servers plus off tv play will come in April.  Should these things have already been there from the beginning? Yes.  But considering what the localization team and MH fanbase had to do to get these things added, you need to be a little appreciative that we have them at all, since these things weren’t originally going to be in the game.  Trust me, the fanbase caused one hell of an uproar to get the server merge and off-tv play.  We don’t want to hear “Lazy crapcom!” at this point.  We are tired and want to play the dang game.

I’m probably gonna get second place for longest post on this forum but spoilers should help keep this neat.  Now let’s Begin.

Basic Mechanics and Tips---------------------------------

Spoiler

Armor-----------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

Weapons----------------------------------------------

Spoiler

Singleplayer-----------------------------------------

Spoiler

Multiplayer------------------------------------------

Spoiler

The Charm System---------------------------------

Spoiler

Well you read everything.  This will make you a better hunter than 90% of rookies just starting out.  Here’s a reward for your reading.  Some Orchestrated music from the game and one funny video!

Music----------------------------------------

Spoiler

Edited by Lightning_Ninja, 29 June 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#2 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Great stuff! Thanks. Maybe we can ask questions with numbers. So that its clear what answers you are actually answering.

1) I played the demo for around 10 hours. Tried most weapons but found that the ranged weapons like bows and guns are a bit too slow for me right now. Same thing goes for the Big Sword.
I did best with the Double Sword and Long Sword, but somehow the Hammer really suprised me. As a beginner this weapon is quitte easy to master. Would you advice starting with the hammer too or are there any advice against it?

2) is there a defending option for the hammer, could not find any.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#3 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Question: Would you enjoy the game even if you have never played a monster hunter game before ?
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#4 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Great stuff! Thanks. Maybe we can ask questions with numbers. So that its clear what answers you are actually answering.

1) I played the demo for around 10 hours. Tried most weapons but found that the ranged weapons like bows and guns are a bit too slow for me right now. Same thing goes for the Big Sword.
I did best with the Double Sword and Long Sword, but somehow the Hammer really suprised me. As a beginner this weapon is quitte easy to master. Would you advice starting with the hammer too or are there any advice against it?

2) is there a defending option for the hammer, could not find any.

1) Most weapons are fine to start off with if you take to them.  The only ones I wouldn't recommend in the beginning are the long range weapons as they are expensive and require a better knowledge of the game to use effectively.  The main attack you should be aware of is the superpound.  Hold R to charge your hammer.  There are 3 levels of the charge attack with the supperpound being the lvl 3.  At full charge, release R without any directional input from the control stick to do the superpound.  This move is great for KO'ing monsters by smacking them in the head.  Google "hammer flowchart" for a typical hunt for a hammer user.  It's surprisingly effective to do that (minus the part about posting to youtube).

2) The hammer cannot block. Neither can the longsword, dual blades, hunting horn, switch axe, or bow.

Question: Would you enjoy the game even if you have never played a monster hunter game before ?

If you are worried about story, there's hardly any in monster hunter.  There's no plot to catch up on.  When it comes to gameplay, it depends how much time you have to invest and get better.  It plays differently from every other game I've ever played, and will feel slow and clunky at first.  Also, there's no true camera lock on.  It might sound crazy but it's for the best that there's not.  If you want to get into the series I recommend looking up how to videos and reading my initial post here.  There's a lot to learn, and it makes it hard for some people.  MH3U is probably the best game to introduce yourself to the series.  There's a fair bit more handholding in the beginning compared to others in the series.  If you do put in the time to get into the game, it will eventually hook you and be immensely satisfying taking down some of these beasts.

#5 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

That was a really nice bit of info man.  I have a noob's question though.  Do you think it is an ok strategy to grab the game on 3DS first and grind single player for a while before getting the Wii U version and going online with my character or is it better to just go right online from the start on the Wii U?  I'm only going to get one version for now, and think that since you cannot play offscreen on Wii U that I may have more time for the 3DS version as far as grinding goes.

Edited by BobbyRiddle, 19 March 2013 - 12:27 PM.

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#6 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

That was a really nice bit of info man.  I have a noob's question though.  Do you think it is an ok strategy to grab the game on 3DS first and grind single player for a while before getting the Wii U version and going online with my character or is it better to just go right online from the start on the Wii U?  I'm only going to get one version for now, and think that since you cannot play offscreen on Wii U that I may have more time for the 3DS version as far as grinding goes.

The app that's supposed to be able to let you transfer your save files isn't out right now, and I'm not sure when it will be released.  I would recommend wii u version unless you know you will have a lot of time outside of the house to play.  However, if your new, do not go online until you have at least beaten great jaggi so you have a handle on the basics.

#7 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

The app that's supposed to be able to let you transfer your save files isn't out right now, and I'm not sure when it will be released.  I would recommend wii u version unless you know you will have a lot of time outside of the house to play.  However, if your new, do not go online until you have at least beaten great jaggi so you have a handle on the basics.

Thanks....will do.

Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#8 DANT3

DANT3

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Excellent guide, Lightning. As somebody who's going into MH3U semi-blind, this info is perfect. Keep up the good work, dude!

#9 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

I just killed the Great Jaggie and I was wondering when it's a good time to start playing online?

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#10 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I just killed the Great Jaggie and I was wondering when it's a good time to start playing online?

You're sort of ready.  The first online monster is qurupeco.  If you can do singleplayer peco with little trouble should be good to go.  Just remember what I said in the multiplayer section above.

#11 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

How do you upgrade your weapons? I'm using a bone Hammer and I would like to upgrade it?

Posted Image

#12 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

How do you upgrade your weapons? I'm using a bone Hammer and I would like to upgrade it?

Take it to the blacksmith in town. Go to weapon craft, then upgrade weapon. You'll need the right materials and amount of money to upgrade.

Posted Image

#13 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

What is the best way to make money?

Posted Image

#14 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

What is the best way to make money?

Right now, I don't think there's a best way to make money, aside from doing whatever quest has the highest payout that's available to you.  I just don't recommend selling monster parts right now.  You never know what you'll need later.

#15 Insanity_Boi

Insanity_Boi

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda Mario Metroid Mario Kart

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

I asked this question in the other thread but I shouldve asked here. I have the 3ds version right now but will be getting the Wii U version shortly. How does it work to transfer data from the 3ds to the Wii U? Also where do u download the transfer app at?

#16 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I asked this question in the other thread but I shouldve asked here. I have the 3ds version right now but will be getting the Wii U version shortly. How does it work to transfer data from the 3ds to the Wii U? Also where do u download the transfer app at?

The tranfer app is in the eshop for the 3ds.  It's a little hard to find, I think I found it in the new releases section.  FYI the wii u version doesn't need to download a seperate app as there's an option in the first menu for game transfer.  Basically you need to open both the wii u game and 3ds transfer app to do the transfer.  The menus are pretty simple to follow.

All right, I need help with something.  Is  there an indicator to tell if someone is out on a quest in multiplayer?  I've looked and looked and see no way of telling whether someone is on a quest.

Edit: As far as I can tell, there is no way to check that.  Bummer.

Edited by Lightning_Ninja, 26 March 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#17 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Is anyone else having some ugly FPS problems? (Frames per second)
Mine keeps acting kinda... well, yeah. It's really disappointing too, I feel like I've wasted my money on the wrong version. The 3DS version apparently has smoother frames, which is weird, considering the Wii U is more powerful and the Wii U version still uses SD textures for the most part.

FmEkJ2.gif

#18 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Is anyone else having some ugly FPS problems? (Frames per second)
Mine keeps acting kinda... well, yeah. It's really disappointing too, I feel like I've wasted my money on the wrong version. The 3DS version apparently has smoother frames, which is weird, considering the Wii U is more powerful and the Wii U version still uses SD textures for the most part.

The only time I notice a problem in framerate is area 5 of the deserted Island, especially when there's a lot going on.  I downloaded it on my Wii U, but I doubt that would make a difference.  Anyone alse have any problems or fixes?

#19 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

The only time I notice a problem in framerate is area 5 of the deserted Island, especially when there's a lot going on.  I downloaded it on my Wii U, but I doubt that would make a difference.  Anyone alse have any problems or fixes?

Turns out it's a problem with my TV, or at least I think so. Runs smooth on my gamepad, and I've been searching for an answer only for people to say it's a problem with certain TVs (not sure which ones)
Haven't had the chance to test it out on any other TVs.

FmEkJ2.gif

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Turns out it's a problem with my TV, or at least I think so. Runs smooth on my gamepad, and I've been searching for an answer only for people to say it's a problem with certain TVs (not sure which ones)
Haven't had the chance to test it out on any other TVs.

have you tried turning off lag inducing tv features like noise reduction, or does it have a 'gaming mode'?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!