Photo

Im curious, Just how innovative is the Gamepad?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

I mean other than having it as a mini map or off-tv play, what other uses could the gamepad be used for enhancing gameplay?

Edited by VGCrasher, 20 March 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

It has motion controls, touch controls, cameras, etc.

It's pretty innovative for a controller. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 Alii

Alii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • NNID:zangoose
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing / Kirby / Pokemon

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

It is amazingly innovative,

Dev's just need a couple of years until they can really show what it's made of (If they ever do)

I can think of so much possibilities they can do ... lets see ...

Imagine we had a Kirby air ride kind of game and we could move kirby by tilting the gamepad,

In RPG's instead of having to start and etc,We could just look down and pick an item from the gamepad screen..

I can't think of many,But so much possibilities,Trust me.  

small_zpsfe204a57.jpg

#4 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

At the moment it's doesn't add a great deal to games in my opinion, but give it a little time and I think it will.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#5 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

adds some possibilities, some are just helpful, like menus u dont need to pause for. the play on the gamepad is the most usefull so far. nothing except zombieU used the gamepad for hotkeys yet, which can help PC games port over.

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

I can't wait to see how some developers use it, from what I've heard Square Enix and Straight Right are doing quite alot with it in the port of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

#7 Leo

Leo

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • NNID:Dantel
  • Fandom:
    Team Fortress, Lost Saga, Tekken

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Quick access to weapons, items, recovery items, detailed stats, a messaging terminal ,or maybe a map. Pretty much alot of thing to mention on what's innovative for the Gamepad.

24g4xnc.jpg 

"In the mountain, stillness surges up to explore its own height In the lake, movement stands still to contemplate its own depth.
Rabindranath Tagore"

#8 AsterDW

AsterDW

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Asymetric gameplay options aside I have found the things noted by Leo to be good enhancements to the games. While having quick access to menus, items, equipment, or maps may not seem like a big deal it really becomes noticeable after you have actually used these functions and features. You don't notice how nice they are until you try and go back to playing the same game without those features. I don't think I could go back to playing Batman or Darksiders without the gamepad enhancements. They really do add to the general experience.

Beyond that the ability to play multiplayer games without split screen are very welcome improvement to how we played some games before. Even something as simple as Sonic and All Stars Racing with multiplayer having two of us with effectively full screen views at the same time were great.

#9 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Interesting topic, I was thinking of posting a similar tread based around people suggestions for possible uses outside of the obvious. 

The menu/map, Split screen & Off screen play are all great in themselves but are their other ways to use the controllers features?

I could definitely see the touch screen as part of military strategy game. 

#10 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think it could potentially open up a whole new way to play RTS games on consoles. Think of something like age of empires and the game pads was a second screen that showed a zoomed in version of the overall map displayed on the TV, not to mention it would be easy just to pint and click anywhere on the map.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#11 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

It's got huge possibilities. Also its got a near field communication receiver in it which add more options. It can take gameplay into new areas that even the ps4 and xbox 720 can't do.

Examples off the top of my head would be a character that only appears on the gamepad. Perhaps you could use gamepad as a sort of fishing rod in the windwaker hd remake so when you get to the right location you look down into the gamepad screen and it shows you where the treasure is under the waves.

If you are a bit rubbish in a Mario game you could buy a Mario gold coin that you put by your gamepad to give you an extra life. To unlock new cars in Mariokart you simply buy the model of that car from a toy shop and bring it close to the gamepad and that car becomes a car  you can play in the game.

Your mii character wears the same clothes you are wearing as long as your clothes are NFC tagged. Although that would be bad if your aunt had NFC tagged clothes and your own mii suddenly appears in your aunt's clothes and everyone can see you online in your aunt's clothes.

Edited by Desert Punk, 21 March 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#12 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'd like to see it as a drawing tablet so people can customise elements of their game design. I'm useless at that sort of thing but people in the Miiverse can do amazing pictures. You could design vehicle paintwork or character clothes design. I could also be very useful as a tool for level designing.

#13 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

More innovative than the wiimote. I'll just let that sink in for a while.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#14 Alii

Alii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • NNID:zangoose
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing / Kirby / Pokemon

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Drawing would be epic on the game pad too! Omg flip note Wii U someday maybe? :D

small_zpsfe204a57.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!