Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Shopto recently lowered the price on their White Wii U console (nothing to do with Nintendo, it was the retailer deciding to cut their own profits a bit to try and make some sales).

Here's the result:

We have taken the decision to reduce the price of the Basic Wii U to test the market and assess the impact of a price change for a short period of time. This has resulted in a smaller than desired increase in sales at this stage.

Rumour is Nintendo UK will be meeting with the bigger retailers sometime soon to share some super-secret exciting stuff to get them to stay interested in the console.

Source: http://www.nintendol...oost_the_system

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#2 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

New games for Wii U... IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#3 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I fear whatever they (Nintendo) do will be too little too late.

#4 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

It`s really not that surprising.

Not only they did that when the biggest games since January haven`t yet arrived, they also cut the price on the least wanted SKU.

There were also other retailers cutting it`s price on both SKUs. Maybe they will add something to shopto comments.

It`s not a rumor that Nintendo UK will meet with retailers. They said so themselves.

#5 Luca

Luca

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

:( I love the idea of the Wii U, but the lack of games kills it. 

The only thing I use it for is Just Dance, and besides that I haven't used it since December... 

I need a good game!! :P

#6 Mensrea

Mensrea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid,Zelda ,Pikmin ,Resistance

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Nintendo be like:

Spongebob-Gif-spongebob-squarepants-2708

Edited by Mensrea, 21 March 2013 - 05:21 PM.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

#7 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Didn't expect it to sell any better really, the price was never the issue.

Its like they can't look ahead anymore, no long term plans.

They shouldn't treat a gaming console like any other electronic device 

They fall outside the norm of today's society, where everything is replaced on a yearly basis.

If it only lasted a year and for 2 months it was doing this bad, then yes, cut the price, add a game for free, try anything to get it off the shelves.

The expected life span of a console is 6 years and there's a ton of reasons to buy a Wii U in the future.

In the mean time; just let it sit there, let the library grow, let the OS improve, let more features arrive,

let its potential increase and most of all, let Nintendo do their thing.

It's nice to know they are taking the effort to confront these retailers.

I say confront because an unofficial price cut could potentially endanger Nintendo's own business plan.

It'll be hard to justify a price increase again at this point so I'm curious as to what will come of this.

#8 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Here's a word of advice that they desperately need to listen. Commercial advertisement! God, the system is not gonna sell because its made by them, they need some commercials! Build hype! Not hope!

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#9 Scooter_Johnson

Scooter_Johnson

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • NNID:Scooter_Johnson

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

well nintendo must be mad, well its there own fault from the very start

1. one uk tv ad showing just zombiu gameplay and not the console

2. nintendo didnt set a price on uk models so upto the stores themselves

3. nintendo seem to be cagey on future game releases, apps etc

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

They discounted only the white wii u.
The one that no one wants.

So it makes sense.

Nintendo isn't advertising the wii u heavily YET because they themselves know it would only draw more attention to the fact it has almost no new genes. Add to that the games that are out are not necessarily next gen worthy (sans nfs) and it makes sense that they are waiting to blitz the media.
I suspect that changes quickly post-e3.

#11 Scooter_Johnson

Scooter_Johnson

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • NNID:Scooter_Johnson

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

i have a white wii u and people do want it 

but you can pick up the deluxe set for £230

#12 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Retailers etc are really worrying about Wii U sales because the Wii sold like hot-cakes, this console is still out-selling the previous generation's HD consoles, that's with a slightly hefty price margin, completely and utterly crap marketing (everyone has to admit Nintendo dropped the ball on advertising and presentation), and virtually no first parties (Nintendo have never truly got the right launch since the gamecube).

As soon as Nintendo ejacu**te a ton of first party titles all over the place this year, they'll get millions of people lapping it up, and consoles should sell at a higher rate!

Ok that's a disgusting metaphor I apologise.

#13 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

Everything will be fine when new games come out.

If this situation is still going a year from now, then i will listen to the doom and gloom.

#14 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

This is why Nintendo are meeting with UK retailers to tell them all the cool stuff they have coming out this year to calm them the fork down. UK retailers are just panicking because the Wii U isn't a hot cake selling console like last time. Hopefully Nintendo will have some cool new IPs all coming out along with the old ones. Should calm everyone down. Plus telling retailers they actually have a proper marketing campaign will help too

Edited by Penguin101, 22 March 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#15 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

I was born and live in the UK and I can say with utmost certanty that 99% of gamers over here are soulless drones, anyone who argues this point congratulations your in the 1% of decent UK gamers. It's all CoD and bloody Fifa over here :(

#16 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Souless drones is a bit harsh. Those are the biggest titles though but there is plenty of other software that sells well. Football fans have always been exploited because they have such loyalty to their clubs. Match tickets, sky sports channels, merchandise, kit and videogames is all done in a way to maximise every penny they remove from fans. Fifa is so popular because like football kit you have to have the latest version and once the new version of Fifa is out the old version is practically worthless.

Not everyone reads every review of games to make an informed choice. Many have a busy lifestyle and simply buy updates to games they know they like.

#17 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

I was born and live in the UK and I can say with utmost certanty that 99% of gamers over here are soulless drones, anyone who argues this point congratulations your in the 1% of decent UK gamers. It's all CoD and bloody Fifa over here :(

As a fellow Uk'er I feel that's a touch harsh but their is an element of truth that those two franchise dominate the market. 

It's positive on one hand that the Video Game consoles are not just nerd fodder in the UK but a social norm for young men, but that does result in the dominance of the aforementioned titles. 

Although not on a Japanese scale there is a UK consumer base interested in more varied game experiences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!