• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Laavalamppu

Laavalamppu

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

I was wondering how much memory does Wii U game saves need? I have Basic Edition, but no games. I'm gonna buy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Nintendo Land, maybe New Super Mario Bros. U, remastered Duck Tales, and many many more. So I was just wondering if I have to buy a new SD-card, because i have one with 4GB. Is that enough? Thanks for answers!

#2 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

First off, SD cards do not work with the wii U's hard drive, you can not save wii U titles on it whatsoever, only wii mode will work with the SD card, if you were to expand your memory, I highly suggest you buy a USB drive.

Second, the NSMBU save file for me takes up 40ish MB's, nintendo land with 290ish MB. Duck tales will probably be 500 mb's, just a guess. Monster hunter 3 ultimate (from what I hear) is just a few megabytes.

It all depends on what you download, but for now, just use that 5gb until it's gone, then get a USB.

794144.png?13383682

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

http://www.youtube.c...YZ7uKGvs#t=162s

This shows how you can check the stuff on your own console.

The video also explains if you want to add a hard drive.

Just generally, the saves aren't usually over 100MB, but game updates can be upwards of 1GB.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Laavalamppu

Laavalamppu

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Ok, thanks for the info guys! I also have 12 GB USB Drive.. Maybe I'll delete all the stuff from that and use it.

#5 Scooter_Johnson

Scooter_Johnson

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • NNID:Scooter_Johnson

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

sd cards dont work as bought offical nintendo one and nothing

#6 Spinal

Spinal

Blooper

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

My Saves:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 147MB

New Super Mario Bros U: 43MB

Posted Image

#7 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Ok, thanks for the info guys! I also have 12 GB USB Drive.. Maybe I'll delete all the stuff from that and use it.

Not a bad idea, just bear in mind that Nintendo do not recommend USB sticks as they aren't always fast enough. 

If you have any problems using it you might still need to switch to a HDD later and that could be tricky as I do not believe the Wii U currently lets you plug two in at the same to move data between them.  You have to copy it back to the internal memory and THEN to the new USB drive, swapping between the two until everything has been moved. 

Its probably better to just go straight to an external HDD as soon as you run out of internal memory, rather than using a USB stick and risking the hassle of moving everything over later.

Also in my experience the Wii U downloads MUCH faster to an external HDD than it does to the internal memory.  So there is an advantage to using one even if you have plenty of space left on the internal memory.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 26 March 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#8 Laavalamppu

Laavalamppu

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well, at least for now, I will put everything not so important (Like Netflix, YouTube, PunchOut(Because it can be redownloaded for free right?)) to USB stick, and put everything impostant (game saves) to Wii U's own memory.

#9 Scooter_Johnson

Scooter_Johnson

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • NNID:Scooter_Johnson

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

could do with a topic about which hard drives work and dont work so people wont be mad about spending there hard earned money or parents money on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!