#1 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

Mike Capps doesn't seem to think that there is a point in releasing next gen consoles. He seems to think phones will start eating into the home console market the same way they have the handheld one.

“If you look at the ridiculous acceleration of iPhone hardware and technology, trying to find a sweet spot for tech to make your mobile game… I mean, what would your mobile game look like in 2015?” Capps added in the interview with IndustryGamers. “Who knows how fast that’s going to operate, but you can bet it’s going to be faster than an Xbox 360.”
Capps, whose gaming company is well known for the Xbox 360′s exclusive Gears of War franchise, reiterated that the current state of industry will need to “deal with iPhone 8.” That smartphone device, he says, “will probably plug into your TV, or better yet, wirelessly connect to your television set to give you that big screen gaming experience with good sound.
“So really, what’s the point of those next-gen consoles?” he argued.

Source: http://www.industryg...t-gen-consoles/
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

Mike Capps doesn't seem to think that there is a point in releasing next gen consoles. He seems to think phones will start eating into the home console market the same way they have the handheld one.

Source: http://www.industryg...t-gen-consoles/

He and everyone else who claim Smart phones will overtake the gaming industry have one major flaw in their ideas: Smart phones are phones first. That means that you still need to use it as a phone. While they can game, SP's are meant to be phones plain and simple

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

I've read this somewhere before... do you check/read Kotaku?

I still think that iphones are starting to get less cool as they aren't so special anymore and Apple is just gonna keep releasing iphones, one after an other...

#4 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

He and everyone else who claim Smart phones will overtake the gaming industry have one major flaw in their ideas: Smart phones are phones first. That means that you still need to use it as a phone. While they can game, SP's are meant to be phones plain and simple

Exactly. While they have the ability to play games, there is a major difference between a device that "can" play games, and a device that is made to play games.
Posted Image

#5 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

The fool.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#6 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

I've read this somewhere before... do you check/read Kotaku?

I still think that iphones are starting to get less cool as they aren't so special anymore and Apple is just gonna keep releasing iphones, one after an other...

Maybe Kotaku reported it or maybe they also did an interview with him and he said a similar thing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

#7 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

I think its fair comment that iphones etc will erode the market share of portable consoles and to a lesser extent home consoles. Which means less money will be available for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony to fight over. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of these 3 exit the console hardware business in the next couple of years which would be bad for consumers. Microsoft has deep pockets so I think they are safe but both Sony and Nintendo are vulnerable I think. At least if Nintendo pulls out of hardware I think they would become a software publisher like Sega.

I think there is a lot resting on the success of Wii U and PS4.

#8 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

I think its fair comment that iphones etc will erode the market share of portable consoles and to a lesser extent home consoles. Which means less money will be available for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony to fight over. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of these 3 exit the console hardware business in the next couple of years which would be bad for consumers. Microsoft has deep pockets so I think they are safe but both Sony and Nintendo are vulnerable I think. At least if Nintendo pulls out of hardware I think they would become a software publisher like Sega.

I think there is a lot resting on the success of Wii U and PS4.

Erode the market share is one thing but it seems as if he is supposing that the iphone could replace console gaming. In the sense that people wouldn't buy consoles and a phone, just the phone. Play games on the phone when they're out and about (handheld) and then connect it to the TV when they're at home (console). I guess it will depend whether they can get games with beautiful visuals such as FF13 on the iPhone.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

#9 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

I can't see it happening right now, the games i have seen so far on the phones are no where near as good as consoles and handhelds. The power the phones have are not optimized for pure gaming while the latter are. I can only see people who only play cell phone game are people who do not want a deep experiences in their games.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#10 Randomite

Randomite

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Am I the only person who doesn't see what the big deal is about the iPhone and iPad? To me Apple are actually worse than Capcom and Activision for whoring out their products.

#11 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 05 September 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#12 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

If consoles are replaced by the iphone I'm going to become a PC gamer. The controlls are just too crappy to deal with. If the iphone replaced consoles that would be a very sad day for me because people I know would be playing on a system without the "soul" that a gaming system should have, I mean does the iphone have a games store? No, it's an app store. Is it a gaming device? No, it's a phone.

This.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

It's not going to happen.
Unless Apple starts making consoles, they cannot and will not exterminate the console market.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 05 September 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#15 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:40 AM

Lol, I meant now, when they're tech is lot more powerful and can compete with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

Also, I like how the Pippin has an AppleJack controller.

AppleJack, anyone?

(I will also say that google gave me many Lord of the Rings references)

AuzzieWingman.png

#16 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

I actually don't want to see apple become a gaming company though. I mean isn't Nintendo the apple of gaming? :)

#17 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:04 AM

I mean, isn't Nintendo the apple of gaming? :)

I always considered Nintendo the Walt Disney of gaming, and that's a compliment.

Edited by Waller, 07 August 2011 - 01:56 AM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#18 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

I always considered Nintendo the Disney of gaming, and that's a compliment.

Not the Disney of gaming.
The Walt Disney Of Gaming.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#19 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

Not the Disney of gaming.
The Walt Disney Of Gaming.

Ok, ok. Fixed it.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#20 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:25 AM

I think a lot of people consider Nintendo as the Walt Disney of gaming. I do.

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!