#1 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

Now, a lot of you are probably thinking that RuneScape is a terrible game, but in my opinion it is one of the best MMO's, there's nothing like it. The quest system is amazingly fleshed out, it's not just a fetch mission, there is deep story, great writing and puzzles. The skills is also one of the things that sets it apart from so many other MMOs in my opinion and is one of the main reasons that I enjoyed the game. You also feel a sense of accomplishment when you earn items that I don't get from any other games. But the thing is I started in 2004 (haven't played the whole time) and now it's worn off on me (the initial noobish stage where you don't know what you're doing and learning all the time really pulls me in).

Even though most people say the game is crap compared to the old standards (I'd agree with that on certain aspects, the grand exchange ruined human interaction and satisfaction in finding items) I would definitely say the game is far superior in comparison to what it used to be.

Do you know of any games similar to RuneScape in the sense that it isn't just some generic game in which you do fetch quests most of the time?

#2 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

Most mmo's now a days generally use the same questing style. EVE is one of the few that differs. I've been playing World of Warcraft since its inception in 2004 and even before on beta. Its hard to recommend an MMO since all gamers are different. I grew up playing the Warcraft series in the 90's and WoW is much different for me than many other players. However...you may want to check out the new Neverwinter game...it might interest you with its d&d campaign system. It should be launching soon.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#3 Sargon

Sargon

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

I have never played RuneScape, but here are my thoughts:

If you are looking for a good story/campaign, Star Wars The Old Republic is great for that. One could argue that there isn't a lot to do outside of the main storyline, but the storyline and quests are very good. The downside is that it feels a little less like a true MMO and more like a single player game that just so happens to have other players in it.

If you want something that is completely wide open and you can just basically do what you want at any time, Ultima Online just celebrated its 15th anniversary and is still alive and well. The downside is that if you are looking for a deep quest system, you won't find that here. UO does have some very rudimentary quests, but probably nothing like what you explained from RuneScape.

EVE Online takes some of the fundamentals from UO and expands upon them with a sci-fi setting and modern graphics. It has a little more of a quest system in place, but the game is not for the faint of heart. They have made it more newbie-friendly over the years, but it is still a hardcore MMO with a lot to learn and it can be very intimidating for new players.

If you want something more along the lines of a traditional pen & paper RPG, maybe you would want to give Dungeons & Dragon Online a shot. I have never played it myself, but it sounds like the game has improved quite a bit since its initial launch.

As for Neverwinter, I have always been a fan of the Neverwinter Nights series, but I lost a great deal of hope when I saw who is developing it. The new game is being developed by Cryptic Studios, which was aquired by Perfect World, and neither of those companies have a very good reputation. I will stay away from that one at least until some reviews start coming in.

#4 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

i love World of Warcraft come to wii u, xbox 360 or 720 and ps3 or ps4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users