• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hrasda

hrasda

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

So the unreal engine 4 won't support the wii U (http://www.noshitshu...4-for-the-wiiu/) but is it that big of a deal? What do you think?

#2 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

So the unreal engine 4 won't support the wii U (http://www.noshitshu...4-for-the-wiiu/) but is it that big of a deal? What do you think?

I'd say this is a pretty big deal. Lots of games run on Unreal 3, and not getting Unreal 4 could mean missing out on a lot of games. It's ridiculous, really, that they're not even attempting to bring it over.

#3 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

man we already have a thread about 9 pages long on this. yesterday i was furious now my GAF(give a fork) meter is empty. the reality sad as it is is when you buy a nintendo home console you are gonna be in for a rough 3rd party ride. Wii U is gonna get more support than Wii did... so i guess thats a win???

also crazy i talked to mark rein on twitter asking if Wii U would be able to run the samartian demo(unreal 3.9).... he denied that unreal 3.9 even exist. he basically said its only unreal 3 and unreal 4. so i asked him what was the purpose of the samaritan demo which i never got a reply back from him which is not surprising.

#4 ProjectX3dsman

ProjectX3dsman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

"We all know that the WiiU has some disappointing hardware, in fact the hardware is worse then the current generation consoles (Xbox 360 and Playstation 3)" I stopped reading at that statement, because it is untrue. So if they are giving misinformation as fact why should I read and believe their articles?

I also realize by reading this that this comes from an old source, and the source was an interview with Mark Rein where he said. "I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U...if a customer decides they want to PORT an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they COULD. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform."- Mark Rein. All he was saying is that Unreal 4 is not intended for the Wii U, while Unreal 3 is. He also says that it is possible for Unreal 4 game to be ported to the Wii U.

http://www.videogame...wii_u_epic.html

#5 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

Another member who mysteriously joins and instantly posts a negative piece of news almost the moment it comes out  <_<

Edited by Penguin101, 30 March 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#6 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

Another member who mysteriously joins and instantly posts a negative piece of news almost the moment it comes out  <_<

lol

**A Wild Negative Nancy Appeared**

#7 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

I mean your average consumer doesn't look at a console and say "oh wow this doesnt support unreal 4??????? im not buying this." they don't even know what it is. Besides, most devs are probably going to port their games to wiiu when it starts picking up more games

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

You guys do realize mark rein has reconfirmed ur4 can be brought to wii u right?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

When I first got the ps3, there were only a few games and I was pretty worried, but of course, it picked up and now competes very well with the 360. I don't think Nintendo will have all the "mature, hard core" 3rd party games, but the way Nintendo fans are so fanatic about supporting ANYTHING first party, the Wii U should be fine. Look at the wii, sold like hotcakes. heck, look at angry birds. who thought a silly game like that would be so popular?

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

http://mynintendonew...if-they-wanted/ Crisis averted, everybody. Go back to your everyday lives.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#11 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

http://mynintendonew...if-they-wanted/ Crisis averted, everybody. Go back to your everyday lives.

A bit too late, the crisis already spawned several threads. :P

#12 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

"We all know that the WiiU has some disappointing hardware, in fact the hardware is worse then the current generation consoles (Xbox 360 and Playstation 3)" I stopped reading at that statement, because it is untrue. So if they are giving misinformation as fact why should I read and believe their articles?

I also realize by reading this that this comes from an old source, and the source was an interview with Mark Rein where he said. "I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U...if a customer decides they want to PORT an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they COULD. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform."- Mark Rein. All he was saying is that Unreal 4 is not intended for the Wii U, while Unreal 3 is. He also says that it is possible for Unreal 4 game to be ported to the Wii U.

http://www.videogame...wii_u_epic.html

Let's just put it this way, The Wii U is currently out and when UE4 was being developed they weren't sure if they would specifically have it running on Wii u, so EPIC decided not to bother since the wii didn't have very good support. But as of now Mark is in a tough spot because the wii u IS appealing to all types of gamers,  and he just isn't a big Nintendo fan . So he masked his opinion in these press releases by saying UE4 is for "true next gen" which makes him look like a five year old . LOL 

Signature_Fox.png

#13 Ashurii

Ashurii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

The "true" next gen system slap bugged me. All next gen means is it is the next gen of systems. Means nothing on power or shiz. 

Wish people both gamers and game devs could try to get along nicer 

Edited by Ashurii, 30 March 2013 - 11:45 AM.

Jontron.jpg

#14 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

The "true" next gen system slap bugged me. All next gen means is it is the next gen of systems. Means nothing on power or shiz. 

Wish people both gamers and game devs could try to get along nicer 

Yep. If you look at games listed by generations, notice that they are released within similar years, and are the NEXT console from each company.

#15 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

My personal opinion: not a big deal, games arn't all about graphics just look at Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate I think it's beautiful even if it is a little below par, and graphics are good enough now days anyway. I don't need to see every strand of sweat run down someones forehead after exessive running, better shadows you say? BETTER SHADOWS!? Who the hell in real life goes around looking at shadows and says wow that's realistic, f**k shadows.

Edited by UnchainedGoku, 30 March 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

UnchainedGoku, on 30 Mar 2013 - 08:24, said:My personal opinion: not a big deal, games arn't all about graphics just look at Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate I think it's beautiful even if it is a little below par, and graphics are good enough now days anyway. I don't need to see every strand of sweat run down someones forehead after exessive running, better shadows you say? BETTER SHADOWS!? Who the hell in real life goes around looking at shadows and says wow that's realistic, f**k shadows.

Ha ha, its funny, because i know every new feature of ur4... And i bet if i put up a side by side of withs and withouts, no one on this forum would be able to spot them.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Ha ha, its funny, because i know every new feature of ur4... And i bet if i put up a side by side of withs and withouts, no one on this forum would be able to spot them.

Do it. Seriously, do it.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

GameCollector, on 30 Mar 2013 - 14:16, said:Do it. Seriously, do it.

Heh, the hard part is going to be finding a decent example thats not labelednor circled (A loooooot of them are circled because so many have so much trouble spotting it).

Ok challenge #1, one of these pics features a real time ur4 feature effect. (pc version only, disclaimer, like most features new to ur4, its not exclusive to ur4)

The others are dirty dirty last gen prebaked map solutions that filthy filthy consoles like the wii u (and apparantly ps4) will have to use instead (with ur4, at least).

techGuyAO.jpg

Ambient_Occlusion_800.jpg

12fig06.jpg

Bonus clue: Taking place in a fully textured environment:

hdao_AFTER.jpg
hdao_BEFORE.jpg

Edited by 3Dude, 30 March 2013 - 09:29 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

GameCollector, on 30 Mar 2013 - 14:16, said:Do it. Seriously, do it.

Heh, the hard part is going to be finding a decent example thats not labelednor circled (A loooooot of them are circled because so many have so much trouble spotting it).

Ok challenge #1, one of these pics features a real time ur4 feature effect. (pc version only, disclaimer, like most features new to ur4, its not exclusive to ur4)

The others are dirty dirty last gen prebaked map solutions that filthy filthy consoles like the wii u (and apparantly ps4) will have to use instead (with ur4, at least).

Bonus clue: Taking place in a fully textured environment:

Yeah I couldn't tell much of a difference, honestly other than the lighting and shadows.

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

routerbad, on 30 Mar 2013 - 17:01, said:Yeah I couldn't tell much of a difference, honestly other than the lighting and shadows.

I should have named certain people who arent allowed to do this.

Yeah ambient occlusion blocks ambient light that shouldnt be seen because of a curve, or a physical object blocking the light from reaching the camera.

Typically the biggest end difference is slightly darker shadows.

The hard part is figuring out which one is the one done real time a la ur4 next gen, and is thus not precomputed ambient light map.

And then the REALLY hard part is keeping a straight face when you find out the resource demand of the real time technique.

Edited by 3Dude, 30 March 2013 - 11:48 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Unreal Engine 4, WiiU, Game Engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!