13 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone share my thought that death in games may as well not exist at all. A lot of games are too easy with checkpoints. You die and you start off pretty much where you died. There's no real punishment for dying any more. It's no longer a thing to be feared, and it's a shame because death used to be a deterrent for sucking at a game. It made you stronger, better at playing the game. 

Remember typewriters in Resident Evil? It added strategy and the lack of checkpoints really made you appreciated survival even more, with modern Resident Evils you die and you appear just a few moments before you last died with no consequence at all. It's just sad :(

Today people may as well play a game with God Mode on

Thoughts?

#2 8BitDisaster

8BitDisaster

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Inu-Yasha, DaH, LSOH, Mega Man, Mario

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Agreed. Contra is how games should be done in a way. You have a certain number of lives..

scanty_and_kneesocks_transform_by_tdi_gw

Steam - 8BitDisaster

Tumblr - 8BitDisaster

#3 ninjalae

ninjalae

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • NNID:II.NiNJA.LaE.II
  • Fandom:
    Call of Duty, Tacos, Animal Crossing

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, people were probably upset about the lack of checkpoints/lives before; now, people will try to bring that back.

IMO there should be an option for hardcore, survival players. That should entertain them long enough until they wish they had their unlimited deaths back x)

3011114.png

Where's the tacos?

#4 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Wait, so you're saying you should have god mode on, so you can beat the game NO MATTER WHAT? What's the point?

There would be absolutely no difficulty.

#5 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

All games need to have a good checkpoint system. The original Halo has a terrible checkpoint system. Absolutely terrible.

#6 Hikaruchu

Hikaruchu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Lives originally were created for just money. The arcade game makers just wanted more cash. They wanted people to keep paying money to play the game so lives were created. 

Posted ImageMy mii QR code.

#7 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Wait, so you're saying you should have god mode on, so you can beat the game NO MATTER WHAT? What's the point?

There would be absolutely no difficulty.

With unlimited lives and checkpoints it's almost the same thing

#8 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

With unlimited lives and checkpoints it's almost the same thing

No it isn't. At all. What's the fun of the game if you can just walk around and kill everything you see without dying? RPGs would lose playability, no matter how strong you are, you would be able to defeat anything.

Goes against everything video games have established, in my opinion.

#9 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

No it isn't. At all. What's the fun of the game if you can just walk around and kill everything you see without dying? RPGs would lose playability, no matter how strong you are, you would be able to defeat anything.

Goes against everything video games have established, in my opinion.

And checkpoints render death a meaningless and pointless standard. It's almost like walking around without dying, because all death is in some games nowadays is a minor inconvenience. It's equal to someone pausing the game for a second, taking you back a few steps and allowing you to continue on, no punishment at all.

SOME games have balanced checkpoints, they don't quite frustrate you by making you play the entire game again, but at least they're far and few between. I myself prefer the system where a game allows you to save or create your own checkpoint, or use a save point. It adds strategy to a game, you almost gable with the game on you character's life on how good you are at the game. Again Resident Evil's ink ribbons allowed one to judge strategically a safe point in which to return if you died. It also added tension to boss battles and fighting even the smallest enemy. When your health was on low, it really mattered, you really did everything within your power to keep your character alive. Zombi U has a great 1 life mechanism which I find really refreshing with Survival Horror and other genres.

With games nowadays you don't care if you're low on health because "oh well I'll just pop up again just before I die and carry on, no biggie" it's insane.

Edited by Penguin101, 01 April 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#10 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

And checkpoints render death a meaningless and pointless standard. It's almost like walking around without dying, because all death is in some games nowadays is a minor inconvenience. It's equal to someone pausing the game for a second, taking you back a few steps and allowing you to continue on, no punishment at all.

SOME games have balanced checkpoints, they don't quite frustrate you by making you play the entire game again, but at least they're far and few between. I myself prefer the system where a game allows you to save or create your own checkpoint, or use a save point. It adds strategy to a game, you almost gable with the game on you character's life on how good you are at the game. Again Resident Evil's ink ribbons allowed one to judge strategically a safe point in which to return if you died. It also added tension to boss battles and fighting even the smallest enemy. When your health was on low, it really mattered, you really did everything within your power to keep your character alive. Zombi U has a great 1 life mechanism which I find really refreshing with Survival Horror and other genres.

With games nowadays you don't care if you're low on health because "oh well I'll just pop up again just before I die and carry on, no biggie" it's insane.

Alright, I agree, but not dying defeats all the tension period. Survival horror wouldn't even be a thing. There wouldn't be any purpose of even enemies, (or attacks and damage, either) because you defeat them no matter what. The enemies might as well just be standing doing nothing.

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

I like to just chill sometimes with a beer but yeah, punishment should be a part of peoples gaming diet, darn kids don't know how easy the gots it these days, darn I sound old -_-

#12 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Death in gaming used to be the cheapest and the most unfair thing. Especially those games where you had to restart the whole game because of the lack of checkpoints. I do agree that most games are too easy now though. They have to be clever now, and find new solutions. Unfortunately, death has been banalized...

Posted Image

#13 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Ahhh, the good ol' days when you had limited lives and limited continues. Ninja Gaiden 3 for NES comes to mind. Not only were your lives limited in that game, but so were your continues! Beating that sucker will put some hair on your rear for sure.

Posted Image

#14 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Demon Souls and Dark Souls make the player not want to die because you have something to lose every time you die. There is always a certain risk factor in that game that makes the player think: 

"Do I really want to risk dying, or should I just keep leveling up?" 

Maybe if more games had more of an risk factors deaths in video games would have more of an meaning. I don't think that they should just take check-points out of games though. Even Demon Souls and Dark Souls have some sort of check-point thing. I think that if there wasn't any checkpoints a lot of gamers would become really frustrated. 

Edited by Elric, 02 April 2013 - 08:13 PM.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!