• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Javik

Javik

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Am I right in saying that a UK (PAL) Wii U will run Australian games? 

Are their any power considerations I have to take into account (As in terms of a voltage transformer - Had some problems with a US 3DS with this). I have basic UK adapters so it shouldn't be a problem but do I need to get a transformer?

Will i have problems with eShop and online connectivity. Can I set up a UK account and use an Ozzie credit card, or can I set up an Aussie Account on the UK Wii U.

Club Nintendo. Will UK Wii U games be compatible with my Australian Club Nintendo account. Can I register the Wii U on my account or do I have to set up a new account for UK

Cheers for any responses, looking forward to my Wii U :D

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

What I can say is that you will need to use UK eShop cards. The Aussie ones only work of the Aussie Wii U's. More or less a general currency thing.

I think UK ones can run Aussie PAL titles.

Dunno bout Club Nintendo, never really used it, the rewards are pretty crap imo.

Hi Javik, long time no type.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Reversal

Reversal

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Wii U is region-locked. So an EU WIi U won't play Australian games unfortunately.

#4 Javik

Javik

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

What I can say is that you will need to use UK eShop cards. The Aussie ones only work of the Aussie Wii U's. More or less a general currency thing.

Dunno bout Club Nintendo, never really used it, the rewards are pretty crap imo.

Hey Man

Awesome. I'll see what i can do about the actual store i set up. With my US 3DS I could set it up for any country in the Americas (including South America), so hopefully I can set up an Australian Account

Wii U is region-locked. So an EU WIi U won't play Australian games unfortunately.

Yeh, I'm pretty sure EU is PAL and Australia is PAL so there shouldnt be a problem (that i know of) to playing UK/AUS games.

#5 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

I'm pretty sure that EU and Australia are both PAL.

As for eShop connectivity, the points cards are trickier and you'll have to import UK cards.  On the other hand, you might be able to use an Australian credit card to buy points directly on the shop.  This is something I'm interested in and have not confirmed for myself (interested in importing EU console and buying points with American credit card).  

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hey Man

Awesome. I'll see what i can do about the actual store i set up. With my US 3DS I could set it up for any country in the Americas (including South America), so hopefully I can set up an Australian Account

Yeh, I'm pretty sure EU is PAL and Australia is PAL so there shouldnt be a problem (that i know of) to playing UK/AUS games.

Its not neccessarily about whether its PAL or NTSC as the console could still be and likely is region locked to UK/EU games. For example both Japan and North America are NTSC but Japanese games won't play on a US Wii U and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure that EU and Australia are both PAL.

As for eShop connectivity, the points cards are trickier and you'll have to import UK cards.  On the other hand, you might be able to use an Australian credit card to buy points directly on the shop.  This is something I'm interested in and have not confirmed for myself (interested in importing EU console and buying points with American credit card).  

Like I said above its not necessarily that both being PAL territories means that games are interchangeable.

Am I right in saying that a UK (PAL) Wii U will run Australian games? 

Are their any power considerations I have to take into account (As in terms of a voltage transformer - Had some problems with a US 3DS with this). I have basic UK adapters so it shouldn't be a problem but do I need to get a transformer?

Will i have problems with eShop and online connectivity. Can I set up a UK account and use an Ozzie credit card, or can I set up an Aussie Account on the UK Wii U.

Club Nintendo. Will UK Wii U games be compatible with my Australian Club Nintendo account. Can I register the Wii U on my account or do I have to set up a new account for UK

Cheers for any responses, looking forward to my Wii U :D

I am not sure about the voltage but its 240 here in the UK. If its different in Australia you will need a transformer.

As for e-shop connectivity I suspect a UK console will only let you setup an account on the UK and I believe EU online shops and won't give you an option for Australia. For example the US consoles only allow you to choose countries in North and South America. You will also need a UK bank or credit card or buy UK e-shop cards.

As far as I'm aware Club Nintendo is specific to each country or region. UK games will only be able to be registered on a UK account and Australian games only on an Australian account.

On top of that the warranty won't be valid in Australia and if anything goes wrong you will need to contact Nintendo UK and pay for shipping costs there and back.

To be honest its going to be more hassle then its worth.

#7 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

I've been looking into this a lot because I am trying to import from EU to America, but I've come across a lot of threads from Australians who import from the UK without any trouble.  I suppose that doesn't guarantee future results but I think that UK/AUS has a good track record.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#8 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

I've been looking into this a lot because I am trying to import from EU to America, but I've come across a lot of threads from Australians who import from the UK without any trouble.  I suppose that doesn't guarantee future results but I think that UK/AUS has a good track record.

Why would you want to import from the EU to the US. I can understand the other way around. In fact living here in the UK I've imported many consoles from North America but if I lived in the US I would definitely by a console locally. The US definitely gets the best deal when it comes to the console gaming experience as a whole. Having lived in the US for 12 years and having imported several consoles from there I know.

#9 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Why would you want to import from the EU to the US. I can understand the other way around. In fact living here in the UK I've imported many consoles from North America but if I lived in the US I would definitely by a console locally. The US definitely gets the best deal when it comes to the console gaming experience as a whole. Having lived in the US for 12 years and having imported several consoles from there I know.

I use video games to help practice my comprehension of foreign languages, specifically German and Spanish, and American games usually have either no foreign language support or at most Spanish/French.  

I know there are other resources for working on language comprehension but, as I see it, I'm an adult with enough responsibilities that demand my time as it is and if I'm going to play video games I want to be directing that time towards this pursuit as well as general recreation (two birds with one stone).

Edited by kokirii, 02 April 2013 - 07:32 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#10 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

The shirt is awesome, and I just ordered Wii Mote holders.  I actually like the rewards, but the good ones take more time and Nintendo purchases to get, naturally.

#11 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

How dare you betray the Great Britain! No I do it as well :),

#12 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

The shirt is awesome, and I just ordered Wii Mote holders. I actually like the rewards, but the good ones take more time and Nintendo purchases to get, naturally.

Heh im not really a collector. I've never seen anything on their that was remotely close to "I have to get it".

AuzzieWingman.png

#13 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Heh im not really a collector. I've never seen anything on their that was remotely close to "I have to get it".

fair enough.  But it is free if you buy Nintendo products.  If nothing else, you can sell it.

#14 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Well UK games work on an aus console I can confirm that.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#15 Javik

Javik

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

On top of that the warranty won't be valid in Australia and if anything goes wrong you will need to contact Nintendo UK and pay for shipping costs there and back.

To be honest its going to be more hassle then its worth.

Yeah, I've never had any problems with any Nintendo products that required the use of the warranty. Come to think of it, I've never had to utilise a warranty for any electronic devices I've owned.

The UK Wii U basic pack is a good $70 cheaper than the one in Australia. Plus I don't pay VAT so with shipping is basically 199 pounds from Amazon. Sweet deal for me! :D

#16 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I use video games to help practice my comprehension of foreign languages, specifically German and Spanish, and American games usually have either no foreign language support or at most Spanish/French.  

I know there are other resources for working on language comprehension but, as I see it, I'm an adult with enough responsibilities that demand my time as it is and if I'm going to play video games I want to be directing that time towards this pursuit as well as general recreation (two birds with one stone).

Fair enough.

Yeah, I've never had any problems with any Nintendo products that required the use of the warranty. Come to think of it, I've never had to utilise a warranty for any electronic devices I've owned.

The UK Wii U basic pack is a good $70 cheaper than the one in Australia. Plus I don't pay VAT so with shipping is basically 199 pounds from Amazon. Sweet deal for me! :D

Its a pity you couldn't take advantage of the recent HMV deal. They were selling it for £140.

#17 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, it will. They are region locked, but many countries are connected to make it simpler. PAL is used in both Australia and Europe.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#18 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

Yeah, it will. They are region locked, but many countries are connected to make it simpler. PAL is used in both Australia and Europe.

PAL has nothing to do with it.

#19 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Gamejunkie, on 04 Apr 2013 - 21:39, said:PAL has nothing to do with it.

I play European games on my Australian wii (wii u now ^_^) all the time. As long as it's PAL it seems to work.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#20 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Oh yeah, how lazy of me.

It says right on the game boxes that "For use with European/Australian Wii U consoles only". derp

But I think the eShop thing still applies. You need to use the right cards for the right region. I know on 3DS you had to pick the UK option to get Shantae, but I don't own a credit card so it was pointless effort.

AuzzieWingman.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!