9 replies to this topic

#1 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:40 AM

10 new introduction threads per day is an awful lot. The number of intros we'll get is bound to increase in the future, but I doubt we will have ten of them per day for a sustained period of time. I expect there will be a huge rush when the Wii U releases that may last up to a week, and possibly one or more smaller rushes if any really huge announcements happen before then, so I think we can work something out with the Guides to be especially active during those times. But it will be a long time until we start seeing 10+ new intro threads per day, trust me.

It is a problem that is not worth addressing in detail at this time, but I do have a few ideas to mitigate it. One, a system may be introduced in which certain Guides get assigned to certain intro threads, as a way of sharing the work; two, I may offer special perks to the Guides to encourage them not to give up their position beyond just getting an orange name.

Do keep in mind, as this is the Internet, nothing is ever set in stone. So the rules for being a Guide are flexible and most likely will eventually change to match the forum's growth.

#3 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:54 AM

Sounds good :) I must say it's great how you actually listen to our feedback, on other forums I've been on (even in their early stages of growth) the owner(s) haven't ever been nearly as active.

#4 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:32 AM

Don't worry. I'll always be able to do it.
/blatant lie

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#5 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

10 new introduction threads per day is an awful lot. The number of intros we'll get is bound to increase in the future, but I doubt we will have ten of them per day for a sustained period of time. I expect there will be a huge rush when the Wii U releases that may last up to a week, and possibly one or more smaller rushes if any really huge announcements happen before then, so I think we can work something out with the Guides to be especially active during those times. But it will be a long time until we start seeing 10+ new intro threads per day, trust me.

It is a problem that is not worth addressing in detail at this time, but I do have a few ideas to mitigate it. One, a system may be introduced in which certain Guides get assigned to certain intro threads, as a way of sharing the work; two, I may offer special perks to the Guides to encourage them not to give up their position beyond just getting an orange name.

Do keep in mind, as this is the Internet, nothing is ever set in stone. So the rules for being a Guide are flexible and most likely will eventually change to match the forum's growth.

I'd really appreciate this.

Also, thanks for taking care of the members of this forum in the way you do.
I'm sure because of that, this forum will stay on top of other Wii U forums :)

#6 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Sounds good :D I must say it's great how you actually listen to our feedback, on other forums I've been on (even in their early stages of growth) the owner(s) haven't ever been nearly as active.

Giving my members what they want is my top priority in running this forum. So I take feedback seriously and always pay attention to it. I really see no reason it should be any other way, regardless of what stage of growth a community is at.

I was once part of a forum that the owner didn't give two damns about. I tried to make contact with him and coax him into letting go of his site and letting someone else take charge of it, but he insisted on keeping it under his own umbrella even though he officially quit activity three years ago. Lots of feedback was thrown around, with some truly great ideas for improving the site and its management, but the owner hardly responded to any of it, let alone make most of it happen. The site then deteriorated into just another "discuss everything" forum and the warm sense of community disappeared as trolls took over and I realized we were being treated like fish in a fish tank. I since left the place, but I felt bad about it because there were a few truly awesome people there.

Perhaps my experience there has shown me just how important it is for a forum to have an active leader who not only cares about his users and their opinions, but is also willing to work with them to make the site better for everyone. Wii U Forums is only the third community I've been an admin of, and the second that I've owned, so I can't really brag that I've got loads of "experience" running community after massive community. But if you can commit to it, stay active over the long term, and most importantly, treat your members like human beings and not a revenue-generating herd of cattle, it doesn't matter whether you've run X number of communities in your life. All you need is to care, commit, and have a little common sense. :D

Don't worry. I'll always be able to do it.
/blatant lie

Haha, you're free to resign at any time. :P

I'd really appreciate this.

Also, thanks for taking care of the members of this forum in the way you do.
I'm sure because of that, this forum will stay on top of other Wii U forums :D

You're very welcome. It's just what I do as my little contribution to the world. I'm glad you enjoy being a part of my community. See my reply to NinjaShock. :)

#7 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

... treat your members like human beings and not a revenue-generating herd of cattle,

That is a quote that could grow up to be famous around the world :)

But yeah, what you said does make sense. That's why of the reasons I'm only on 2 forums, so I'm sure I'm really active and that it is actually worth spending my time there. (I'm glad your the admin/owner of this forum Feld0!)

#8 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

Giving my members what they want is my top priority in running this forum. So I take feedback seriously and always pay attention to it. I really see no reason it should be any other way, regardless of what stage of growth a community is at.

I was once part of a forum that the owner didn't give two damns about. I tried to make contact with him and coax him into letting go of his site and letting someone else take charge of it, but he insisted on keeping it under his own umbrella even though he officially quit activity three years ago. Lots of feedback was thrown around, with some truly great ideas for improving the site and its management, but the owner hardly responded to any of it, let alone make most of it happen. The site then deteriorated into just another "discuss everything" forum and the warm sense of community disappeared as trolls took over and I realized we were being treated like fish in a fish tank. I since left the place, but I felt bad about it because there were a few truly awesome people there.

Perhaps my experience there has shown me just how important it is for a forum to have an active leader who not only cares about his users and their opinions, but is also willing to work with them to make the site better for everyone. Wii U Forums is only the third community I've been an admin of, and the second that I've owned, so I can't really brag that I've got loads of "experience" running community after massive community. But if you can commit to it, stay active over the long term, and most importantly, treat your members like human beings and not a revenue-generating herd of cattle, it doesn't matter whether you've run X number of communities in your life. All you need is to care, commit, and have a little common sense. ;)

For 16-year old, that's a pretty good essay. I see in your future, the 51st president of America! :(
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#9 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

For 16-year old, that's a pretty good essay. I see in your future, the 51st president of America! :P

Lol, I think he'd be 51st Canadian President not American :(

#10 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

Lol, I think he'd be 51st Canadian President not American :P

We Have Prime Ministers, not Presidents.
Anyways, I find it nice to know that here, we have an entire section dedicated to feedback to Feld0. As opposed to another site that I will not mention that took nearly 5 pages worth of complaining to get the admin in charge to take action and listen to the users

Edited by Lord N, 11 August 2011 - 07:33 AM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!