27 replies to this topic

#1 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

So, I'm fairly sure most of us have seen the monolith soft trailer:

What I'm wondering is, what kind of game is it? From what I can tell, it appears to be an open world (i hope!) monster hunter-esk rpg. Everyone is saying this is going to be the best game on the console, and I feel like I'm missing something. Is there a lot more information out there about the game that I just can't find? Or is this hype coming just from the trailer? If it is, that's cool, I just have some concerns.

1. If they're trying to go for the monster hunter vibe, then it'd better be spot on. If the combat isn't perfect, all the pretty graphics in the world won't save it. Also, are they going to have the depth of complexity that monster hunter has? The weapon and armor choices, and the multitude of upgrading options have to be there for a game like monster hunter to succeed.

2. If they're NOT going for a monster hunter type of game, and it's a more traditional rpg, is it going to be open world? I know Japanese rpgs rarely do open world. Dragons Dogma is one of the few, and even then, it's a big step away from traditional jrpgs. If it is open world, will the story suffer for it? 

I guess this must seem overly paranoid, but I've never seen a game that had it all. Beautiful, Big, Open world, great combat, great story(and characters), depth and complexity. If this game can deliver on these things, 0.0 wow...I wouldn't need to buy another game for a LONG time.

What are you thoughts? If there is more info out there about this game, please do share, I couldn't seem to find much on google (admittedly I didn't spend hours)

#2 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Just think of it as a spiritual successor to Xenoblade. It ain't that hard.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#3 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

The X trailer is just an early build so i wouldn't worry about we we have seen to far till they give us some more info, hopefully we shall know more during E3.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

All it seems to be to me in a Xeno sequel.

Edited by Poison, 09 April 2013 - 05:38 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#5 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

That character at the beginning runs exactly how I do.

(I'm talking about running form) 

#6 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

i think im the only one hoping its not a xenoblade sequel lol im hoping its an original rpg.

#7 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think I'm the only one who isn't going to buy this game.

#8 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

I think I'm the only one who isn't going to buy this game.

If it's a Xenoblade sequel, I probably won't buy it either. I wasn't a fan of Xenoblade.

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

i never even play xenoblade. i want to bc people say its good. last story was recommended to be and i f**king loved it!

#10 PixelKnot

PixelKnot

Blooper

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Xenoblade sequel or not, from the looks it's shaping up to be the most promising future Wii U title so far.

Beautiful.

Edited by PixelKnot, 09 April 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#11 dvl666

dvl666

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

I've never played a Xenoblade title before but that does look great, i've only really got into rpg's over the last few years so i've missed a lot of great games but that looks right up my street.

#12 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

I don't like the look of those numbers taking over the screen with every hit. How..arcadey? And tacky it looks. Shame

#13 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

X seems to be an open world co-op (AI, Online, Local) RPG most likely to be Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

It has nothing whatsoever to do with monster hunter, the gaming media is completely incompetent. The game appears ro allow 4 player co op adventurung a la PHANTASY STAR online

aside from that the game appears to be a larger scaled xenoblade with even more emphasis placed on exploratiin and freedom of movement.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

I don't like the look of those numbers taking over the screen with every hit. How..arcadey? And tacky it looks. Shame

I totally agree, it looks like an arcade game. I agree with 3dude, it looks like a phantasy star online style, which I'll be honest, worries me a little.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

DexterousGecko, on 10 Apr 2013 - 01:48, said:I totally agree, it looks like an arcade game. I agree with 3dude, it looks like a phantasy star online style, which I'll be honest, worries me a little.

It looks like an rpg, not an arcade game. They show damage dealt the same way, all the way back to chrono trigger and before.

Same exact thing with xenoblade. Im sorry the gaming media is completely incompetent and mislead you.

Its an RPG, it plays like an rpg.

The battle system is not really real time.

You can position your character real time, and the enemy can move real time.

Characters perform normal attacks automatically according to their speed stat and if they are within range. It appears there are 2 general ranges now, fire arm and melee range.

Special attacks are accrued by leveling up, or finding legendary ones hidden in secret chests. You can organize them however you want in the hot bar seen at the bottom of the screen.

You can use them whenever you want, but they have a cool down period after being used. Leveling up the skill makes it more powerful and reduces cool down time.

Thats the basics of the battle system.

But if you watch videos of xenoblade, theyll show you exactly what kind of game to expect.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Ok wow, yah, talk about a misleading trailer! The trailer totally makes it look like a skill based real time combat system. That actually diminishes my concerns, as now I have an idea of what kind of game it is. Thanks a lot 3Dude

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

I'm not to interested myself to be fair.

#19 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

I can't wait for it but I really hope it's not a sequel but a new one. Couldn't finish the last one. The voice acting just made me laugh to much then drove me nuts. Was fun though.

#20 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

It looks to be shaping up to be the spiritual successor to Xenoblade. I haven't played it, but I'm definitely looking forward to this. It looks practically perfect from what I can tell.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!