Photo

Monster Hunter 3 Demo... why do i hate it?

Monster Hunter 3 demo Wii u Nintendo 3ds

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

So i got the Monster hunter 3 demo a few weeks back on the 3DS because there was this giant fanbase for it, so i thought i was going to be a good game, didn't like it

Then i heard Monster Hunter 3 helped the WiiU sell a ton more, so i thought i would check the game again seeing if i missed something out, but instead i got the Wii U Demo, hated it again

Invisible walls, long walks (sitting there holding up on the pad for a minute sometimes), worst of all the Hunt (bosses?) you would think something that small would take 5 stabs to the face and die... nope, 100 stabs? NOPE, 1000 and its finally dead, am sitting there hacking and slashing this boss over and over and over and over and over and over dodging then hit, dodging then hit. getting bored after the 200th stab... 

Need a potion? sure let me drink it then lets Celebrate the fact i drank a potion while a Yeti tried to murder me! (he literally drinks the potion then Flexes his muscles after doing so!)

ooh stuck in a snowball, lets break out of it then Celebrate the fact we broke out of the snow ball (flexing his muscles again)

is this the entire game? spamming the A and X button then 20 minutes later it dies? how is this game so blessed? am i missing something Obvious here? AM i doing the Wrong thing??? or is this the entire game and i have offended a bunch of people? 

I have tried the sword and shield guy, the claw woman and the bowman (more of a gun then a bow)

edit: Guys you do need to remember i was playing the demo, it was literally "go hunt this monster" and thats it, couldn't use a ton of items (including traps), couldn't grind for anything, couldn't change armor, nothing, just go out and kill the monster. So yes, the demo is a hack n slash n dodge.

Edited by Chrop, 12 April 2013 - 05:30 AM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

you are missing a lot. But dont worry about it, monster hunter is not for everyone.

Get dragons dogma. Its probably like 10 bucks for 360 or ps3. It has everything you like about the mh concept, with everything thats frusterating you streamlined out.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hacking and slashing? Yeah, this game isn't for you, I'm sorry. Monster Hunter takes patience and skill. Do what 3Dude has suggested. However, I would like to say that the demo is a pretty bad representation of the game. There are many things in that you can do ingame, that just aren't possible in the demo.

#4 ChrisTerror

ChrisTerror

Blooper

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • NNID:ChrisTerror

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

you are missing a lot. But dont worry about it, monster hunter is not for everyone.

Get dragons dogma. Its probably like 10 bucks for 360 or ps3. It has everything you like about the mh concept, with everything thats frusterating you streamlined out.

What he said ^...... now going back to MH :)

#5 itogi

itogi

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • NNID:Shiranko
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Okami & SSB

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Monster Hunter takes patience and skill and playing the ingame make Monster Hunter a lot better then the Demo.

5R5PY4h.jpg

#6 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Um, yeah this is not the game for you, just stick to Xenoblade since you've pointed out you wanted exploration and hack n slash.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

The wii u version has better controls, try that out.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

i really hated mh at the start but if you persist there's a lot of depth to the game most of it is if you like collecting stuff though there's very little story to it.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#9 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

The wii u version has better controls, try that out.

i played both versions

#10 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

The game is simpily not for you. As said by other members, it's a LOT more advanced than what you saw in the demo. The demo showcased the actual monster hunting, in the real game you'll be creating weapons, gathering materials for potions, weapons, shields... etc. etc. It has a LOT more depth in the actual game.

That being said, I think you should stay away from it. If you were expecting 5 hits to take out this guy:

Spoiler

Then you shouldn't get this game. Ever.

#11 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

The game is simpily not for you. As said by other members, it's a LOT more advanced than what you saw in the demo. The demo showcased the actual monster hunting, in the real game you'll be creating weapons, gathering materials for potions, weapons, shields... etc. etc. It has a LOT more depth in the actual game.

That being said, I think you should stay away from it. If you were expecting 5 hits to take out this guy:

Spoiler

Then you shouldn't get this game. Ever.

ya that thing looks like it would take a while to kill, 

Spoiler

this is what the demo got me to kill.  Thats why i said it looks like 5 stabs to the face should kill it.

#12 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

ya that thing looks like it would take a while to kill, 

Spoiler

this is what the demo got me to kill.  Thats why i said it looks like 5 stabs to the face should kill it.

That's not the standard monster you see roaming the fields. That's a monster that you fight as the objective of a quest.

Besides, you cannot judge a game based on this observation.

#13 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

MH isn't for me either I wanted a wide open world and better more fluid controls.

#14 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

what i want to know is where is the lock on on the 3ds game i tried pressing L but to no avail.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#15 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

This guys videos certainly helped me, I am new to the franchise and enjoy the game.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#16 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Once again, people give up on this game because it's too hard for them. MHU isn't some hack n' slash game that requires no skill, it is as Gaymer says, requires patience and skill.

/doesn'tevenownMHU.... or a Wii U for that matter.

#17 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

So i got the Monster hunter 3 demo a few weeks back on the 3DS because there was this giant fanbase for it, so i thought i was going to be a good game, didn't like it

Then i heard Monster Hunter 3 helped the WiiU sell a ton more, so i thought i would check the game again seeing if i missed something out, but instead i got the Wii U Demo, hated it again

Invisible walls, long walks (sitting there holding up on the pad for a minute sometimes), worst of all the Hunt (bosses?) you would think something that small would take 5 stabs to the face and die... nope, 100 stabs? NOPE, 1000 and its finally dead, am sitting there hacking and slashing this boss over and over and over and over and over and over dodging then hit, dodging then hit. getting bored after the 200th stab... 

Need a potion? sure let me drink it then lets Celebrate the fact i drank a potion while a Yeti tried to murder me! (he literally drinks the potion then Flexes his muscles after doing so!)

ooh stuck in a snowball, lets break out of it then Celebrate the fact we broke out of the snow ball (flexing his muscles again)

is this the entire game? spamming the A and X button then 20 minutes later it dies? how is this game so blessed? am i missing something Obvious here? AM i doing the Wrong thing??? or is this the entire game and i have offended a bunch of people? 

I have tried the sword and shield guy, the claw woman and the bowman (more of a gun then a bow)

I believe the general consesus is that the demo isn't good for newcomers.   There are people here who didn't like the demo, but are enjoying the full game.  I recommend either borrowing the full game from a friend or renting it to see if you really like it.  I'd suggest putting in at least 5 hours before you make your decision.   This is a game where "time investment yields reward."  As such, the best the demo can do is give you a taste of the combat.  The demo cut out a lot of features also, such as forging and actually preparing for a hunt.

If you are spamming or mashing buttons, you aren't fighting correctly.  You should take some time to learn the combos and learn how to string them together.  Button mashing won't get you very far.  There is a lot to learn, and there's no quick trick to getting good, you just have to keep at it and learn all you can. 

The potion drinking thing helps drive home a point: you have to be aware of whats going on around you, and must always be thinking about what your next move will be.  Tunnel vision isn't allowed after the few hunt quests.  The lagombi (that rabbit/bear/penguin thing) is actually pretty easy to find an opening to chug a potion or sharpen your weapons.  Later monsters, you don't get that luxury if you are playing by yourself and especially if you don't have those two AI sidekicks.  For some monsters, if you want to use a potion you better be prepared to MAKE an opening, cause they don't care if your low on health.

For more help, either see the help thread (http://thewiiu.com/t...te-help-thread/) or see the video Sorceror12 posted for a far more visual beginner's guide.  If you have any questions that you can't find the answer to, ask away.

#18 RobDaCool

RobDaCool

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • NNID:RobDaCool
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Rayman

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

The Wii U demo kicked my butt so bad I had to get my 5-year-old to deleted it as I was scared :(

Wii U: RobDaCool | PSN: RobbieDaCool | 3DS: 0903-4184-6816

Twitter! | FaceBook 

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Chrop, on 09 Apr 2013 - 04:39, said:ya that thing looks like it would take a while to kill, 

Spoiler

Heh, thats A Lagombi. a rather large rabbit. A wascally wabbit.

However despite the rabbit like appearence its roughly the size and build of this guy.

blog-cai1.jpg

So uh, heres a knife, go stab him in the face five times and see if he keels over XD.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Heh, thats A Lagombi. a rather large rabbit. A wascally wabbit.

However despite the rabbit like appearence its roughly the size and build of this guy.

blog-cai1.jpg

So uh, heres a knife, go stab him in the face five times and see if he keels over XD.

A giant sword about half the size of a person hitting that bear in the face 5 times... yes thats not going to hurt it at all! :P

Edited by Chrop, 09 April 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Monster Hunter 3, demo, Wii u, Nintendo 3ds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!