Photo

Was the gamecube really a failure like thousands say?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Since the Wii U is being compared to the Gamecube by alot of people including here in the Wii U forums, quotes like "The Wii U is gonna be a massive failure like the Gamecube!" "If they didn't have the gimmic they would be like the gamecube, possibly lower" Even IGN mocked it 3 days ago, "What was that game again that was same on the 360? Tony Hawk Underground for Ps2, Xbox and Gamecube?" "Nah nobody played Nintendo back then."

I know the Gamecube didn't sell well but that's only because PS2 had the upper hand because of the DVD player built in. 'You can play games, AAAAAND play DVDs!'

I mean, it had really good games and I have more GC games than any other system. Sure Sunshine wasn't the best 3D Mario game but its still fun. Not to mention the Gamecube has alot of Zelda games too. Zelda: Wind Waker, Zelda Collectors Edition including 4 games in 1 plus Wind Waker demo, Zelda: Master Quest, Zelda: Four Swords and Zelda: Twilight Princess. Soul Calibur 2 has Link which everyone got introduced to just cause Link was in the game. The Gamecube has ALL RE Titles in that time, RE 0, 1 remake, 2, 3, Code Veronica, and 4. Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Tales of Symphonia, Metal Gear Solid 1 remake, Both Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 remakes only for Gamecube, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Pikmin 1 and 2, Mario Kart Double Dash which everybody always wants a sequel every time a new MK gets announced. Mario, Luigi and Peach were playable characters in NBA Street V3 and SSX. We didn't get MK Deception's GC version until a year or so i think and has the bonus characters Shao Khan and Goro. You get what i mean it has alot of games.....Which I have still working.

So what are your though on the whole thing, do you think it was a failure or not?

Edited by Julio93, 13 April 2013 - 09:13 AM.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

I don't think it was a massive failure, but it was the Gamecube that required Nintendo to change its strategy and they came up with the Wii.

#3 Carver

Carver

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sailor Moon, MLP, Sonic, LoZ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

POPULAR

I don't see as a failure. The Gamecube is my favorite Nintendo console.

#4 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

no, on that console many great games came out such as pikmin 1 and 2 and mario sunshine, plus smash bros melee

wjapt2.jpg

#5 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

May be a failure to some, personally it's my favourite Nintendo console excluding Wii U.

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

I don't see as a failure. The Gamecube is my favorite Nintendo console.

completely almost agree, it was tied with N64 IMO, although games like X and Zelda U could make the U my favorite!

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 xZero

xZero

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • NNID:EternalZeroX

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

I think it was great SSBM, Zelda Wind Waker and Metroid Prime's were awesome

#8 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

The ONLY reason the gamecube was a failure was because it was a tiny purple box with tiny CD's with no real mature games for its first year or so, The entire console was screaming (FOR KIDS) compared to the Ps2 and Xbox, NO ONE took it seriously. (besides nintendo fans of course).

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#9 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

The Gamecube was the birthplace(well in America at least) of Animal Crossing. 

2lvmghw.png

#10 Ashurii

Ashurii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

The ONLY reason the gamecube was a failure was because it was a tiny purple box with tiny CD's with no real mature games for its first year or so, The entire console was screaming (FOR KIDS) compared to the Ps2 and Xbox, NO ONE took it seriously. (besides nintendo fans of course).

I liked the style the most out of any system Nintendo,Sony and Micro$oft

Jontron.jpg

#11 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

The Game Cube was revolutionary and should have set the standard for game console case designs... Im terribly disappointed that handles didnt catch on for every system since then :(

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 13 April 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#12 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

completely almost agree, it was tied with N64 IMO, although games like X and Zelda U could make the U my favorite!

i think the n64 had some good games but the controller was awful possibly the worst designed i've used so the gamecube wins hands down for me plus it had eternal darkness one of the coolest horror games i've played.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#13 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

The Gamecube was the birthplace(well in America at least) of Animal Crossing. 

N64 for Japan

#14 Kimtastic

Kimtastic

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • NNID:Kimtastic-ii
  • Fandom:
    Sailor Moon, Nintendo, Legend of Zelda

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

The gamecube got me into Animal Crossing as well as Harvest Moon and the Tales of series. (Though I'm no longer a fan of the series.)

But some memorable games came from it, that I admire like Windwaker and Pikmin. Most people just considered the gamecube childish. But the N64 was the same way and I adore it!

I personally thought the gamecube was one of the best Nintendo consoles ever built... I mean, design-wise. It was a cute little cube with a handle. Reminded me of a lunchbox when I first had mine. Though I wanted the indigo one since indigo is my favorite color.

Hello. I am Walrus. Please refrain from stepping on my tail or I will ram my tusks down your throat. Have a pleasant day, sir.

(:3=

#15 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

N64 for Japan

I'm pretty sure that's what (well in America at least) means.

#16 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that's what (well in America at least) means.

I'm pretty sure that (well in America at least) means he wasn't sure if it was on the N64 or not. i was mearly telling him it was :P

#17 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

I wish I could have gotten a gamecube at the time of the release, but I had to choose between PS2 and GC. The good thing is though that I can play GC games on my Wii!

#18 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think "under performed" would be a better word for it. I liked the GC a lot though. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I thought the GameCube was awesome, I hope Nintendo bring it's games to eShop, I really do.

#20 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Just because it was Nintendo's least selling home console doesn't mean it's a failure. If you want a failure look at a system like Virtual boy,Jaguar,3DO,Etc.

Signature_DK.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!