• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 WarmanSteve

WarmanSteve

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hey all! I'm currently working on a research paper comparing Miiverse to more traditional social media (Such as Facebook and Twitter), and my professor is allowing me to turn to the internet to get some opinions on the subject. Do you have any thoughts on what makes Miiverse a unique experience? What it borrows from preexisting social media? Or even just what you like/dislike about it? Any thoughts at all are appreciated, and I would like to include the opinions I'm given in my paper. Thanks!

-WarmanSteve

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Miiverse is too strict. I cant even say hell without getting my post deleted.

Signature_DK.png

#3 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

POPULAR

I think one of the truly different things about Miiverse is the ability to write hand-drawn messages or even make a masterpiece. It makes for more of a personal experience seeing others that are like-minded.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think one of the truly different things about Miiverse is the ability to write hand-drawn messages or even make a masterpiece. It makes for more of a personal experience seeing others that are like-minded.

I've seen some pretty wicked cool drawings. I guess that's my favorite part even though I'm a sucky drawer.

Signature_DK.png

#5 WarmanSteve

WarmanSteve

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the censorship! That's certainly something worth noting. And yeah, the doodling system is pretty great :D

#6 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

They need to add color for the drawings, then we would see some AWESOME drawings. 

#7 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

Miiverse isn't even close to Facebook or Twitter, I swear anything you make that is the tiniest insult or offensive, your post will be taken down and I really don't appreciate that.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#8 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

You have to remember, Nintendo is a kid friendly company. They aren't like Microsoft or Sony, they actually care about protecting their kids from seeing inappropriate things. You do have to be considerate of the youth. 

I like Miiverse, I enjoy it. The people are very helpful, there's a lot of creative artistic people on there, and its easy to navigate through. I wish though they Wii U had more games, if it did, I would probably be using Miiverse more than I do right now. I wish though they'd hurry up and do the update where we can post videos. Nintendo definitely has a good thing with Miiverse. It's definitely promising and has all of the potential in the world. They just need to utilize it properly. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#9 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

There are many improvements that need to take place within Miiverse, such as messages on the screen(tv) while in game as to when we get notifications and an online friends list on the Miiverse app itself, it's annoying having to see who is online. Other things such as party chat and in-game invited are things that need to come after the spring and summer update. Some apps like the "Wii U Chat" seem so unesscessary to me, why couldn't they just make it apart of Miiverse. I truly don't see a need for a friends list. I'd rather just have it all in one application. After these things come true, then we will see Miiverse become a socially connected network.

2lvmghw.png

#10 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Facebook is a social network to connect friends together, twitter is a social network to catch up with what friends are doing, Miiverse is a social network which tells people your opinions on the specific thing in a game, not so much to connect with friends, but to connect with random people who enjoy the same games you do with a post about the game. 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

MiiVerse brings gamers together in a way that I've never seen.  Similar to twitter in that your status updates are limited in length (100 char so far) but also similar to facebook fan pages, where each game has a community where they can share their thoughts on a game or franchise, and connect with developers to receive updates, give opinions, provide feedback, etc.  It also allows community owners to connect to their fans and receive drawings, suggestions, etc for future development.

It also allows people to reach out to a game community to get tips, share information, and to see what their MiiVerse friends have accomplished (or where they've failed) in game.  Being able to use MiiVerse the app is great, seeing the integration inside a game is amazing.  A great way to provide updates from your friends without breaking immersion with beeping and popups.

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I didn't know so many talented artists even existed before MiiVerse, every community has some pure talent.

#13 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I didn't know so many talented artists even existed before MiiVerse, every community has some pure talent.

Try as I might, I am still terrible at drawing on Miiverse, though I did get quite a few likes for a Runner 2 drawing with the WiiUForums logo.

#14 WarmanSteve

WarmanSteve

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for all your replies! This should give me a good bit to say on what the Wii U community thinks about Miiverse.

#15 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

You have to remember, Nintendo is a kid friendly company. They aren't like Microsoft or Sony, they actually care about protecting their kids from seeing inappropriate things. You do have to be considerate of the youth. 

I like Miiverse, I enjoy it. The people are very helpful, there's a lot of creative artistic people on there, and its easy to navigate through. I wish though they Wii U had more games, if it did, I would probably be using Miiverse more than I do right now. I wish though they'd hurry up and do the update where we can post videos. Nintendo definitely has a good thing with Miiverse. It's definitely promising and has all of the potential in the world. They just need to utilize it properly. 

But the older gamers shouldn't have to be sheltered. We need our own miiverse.

Signature_DK.png

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

But the older gamers shouldn't have to be sheltered. We need our own miiverse.

huh?  Why?  So "adults" can muck up the community with content that doesn't belong there anyway?  They need to lower the threshold a little, but creating a separate MiiVerse simply to appeal to overgrown children who think acting "adult" means posting inappropriate content would be disastrous. 

#17 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

huh?  Why?  So "adults" can muck up the community with content that doesn't belong there anyway?  They need to lower the threshold a little, but creating a separate MiiVerse simply to appeal to overgrown children who think acting "adult" means posting inappropriate content would be disastrous. 

True. I'm starting to agree now. However it was stupid how I got a post deleted for having dog poo in it.

Signature_DK.png

#18 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

True. I'm starting to agree now. However it was stupid how I got a post deleted for having dog poo in it.

I'd rather not see turds on Miiverse.

#19 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'd rather not see turds on Miiverse.

LOL you have a point.

Signature_DK.png

#20 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Miiverse.is awesome its nintendo social site and communities for every game, grow with every update and bigger with new spring update next week

Edited by Smertrius, 21 April 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Miiverse, Facebook, social media, research paper, wii u

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!