Photo

Do you think Nintendo should move to the iPhone?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

According to Bloomberg investors are clamouring for Nintendo to bring their hit franchises to the iPhone. The investors feel that Nintendo has lost touch with the current market and would be wise to bring Mario and company to Apples iPhone.

In “Super Mario 3DLand,” Nintendo Co. will make its iconic Italian plumber battle turtle-like Koopa Troopas on its 3-D player. The company instead should develop titles for Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone, investors say.

The rift highlights the dilemma President Satoru Iwata faces as consumers shun Nintendo devices to play games on iPhones, iPads and Facebook Inc.’s website. The flop of the 3DS debut prompted the company to slash prices 40 percent in Japan starting today, the first time the games developer has resorted to such a move within six months of a product’s debut.

Iwata, who’s said Nintendo will only make titles for its own products as long as he’s in charge, should scrap that strategy to avoid further alienating investors who’ve driven the stock to six-year lows, fund manager Masamitsu Ohki said. One option may be acquisitions as the past successes of the Wii and DS helped Nintendo, the world’s largest video-game maker, build a 1.05 trillion yen ($13.7 billion) war chest in cash, equivalents and short-term investments.

“Smartphones are the new battlefield for the gaming industry,” said Ohki, a fund manager at Tokyo-based Stats Investment Management Co. “Nintendo should try to either buy its way into this platform or develop something totally new.”

He declined to identify his holdings or to name any companies that Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo should consider as acquisition targets. Yasuhiro Minagawa, a spokesman at Nintendo, declined to comment beyond statements made previously by Iwata.

Ohki isn’t alone in saying Iwata should reconsider his strategy. On July 6, Nintendo shares jumped the most in almost four months after Pokemon Co., a former unit, said it’s developing a game for the iPhone and handsets running on Mountain View, California-based Google Inc.’s Android software. JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) sent a note to clients saying the move indicated Nintendo may begin making titles for products outside its proprietary hardware.

Hours later, Nintendo denied any change in strategy, and the shares surrendered gains.

“They just don’t get it,” MF Global FXA Securities Ltd. said in a sales note that day, referring to Nintendo. “Sell the stock, because a management once feted for creative out-of-box thinking have just shown how behind the times they are.”

Given the concerns over the outlook of Nintendo’s handheld and home-console business, which account for most of the company’s profit and sales, Nintendo should make better use of its more than $10 billion cash pile, investor Tetsuro Ii said.

“Nintendo should aggressively make acquisitions or increase returns to its shareholders,” said Ii, president of Tokyo-based Commons Asset Management Inc., which held 2,200 Nintendo shares as of February, according to the company’s website. “It’s management’s task to consider how to make use of the cash.”

Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#2 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

According to Bloomberg investors are clamouring for Nintendo to bring their hit franchises to the iPhone. The investors feel that Nintendo has lost touch with the current market and would be wise to bring Mario and company to Apples iPhone.

In “Super Mario 3DLand,” Nintendo Co. will make its iconic Italian plumber battle turtle-like Koopa Troopas on its 3-D player. The company instead should develop titles for Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone, investors say.

The rift highlights the dilemma President Satoru Iwata faces as consumers shun Nintendo devices to play games on iPhones, iPads and Facebook Inc.’s website. The flop of the 3DS debut prompted the company to slash prices 40 percent in Japan starting today, the first time the games developer has resorted to such a move within six months of a product’s debut.

Iwata, who’s said Nintendo will only make titles for its own products as long as he’s in charge, should scrap that strategy to avoid further alienating investors who’ve driven the stock to six-year lows, fund manager Masamitsu Ohki said. One option may be acquisitions as the past successes of the Wii and DS helped Nintendo, the world’s largest video-game maker, build a 1.05 trillion yen ($13.7 billion) war chest in cash, equivalents and short-term investments.

“Smartphones are the new battlefield for the gaming industry,” said Ohki, a fund manager at Tokyo-based Stats Investment Management Co. “Nintendo should try to either buy its way into this platform or develop something totally new.”

He declined to identify his holdings or to name any companies that Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo should consider as acquisition targets. Yasuhiro Minagawa, a spokesman at Nintendo, declined to comment beyond statements made previously by Iwata.

Ohki isn’t alone in saying Iwata should reconsider his strategy. On July 6, Nintendo shares jumped the most in almost four months after Pokemon Co., a former unit, said it’s developing a game for the iPhone and handsets running on Mountain View, California-based Google Inc.’s Android software. JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) sent a note to clients saying the move indicated Nintendo may begin making titles for products outside its proprietary hardware.

Hours later, Nintendo denied any change in strategy, and the shares surrendered gains.

“They just don’t get it,” MF Global FXA Securities Ltd. said in a sales note that day, referring to Nintendo. “Sell the stock, because a management once feted for creative out-of-box thinking have just shown how behind the times they are.”

Given the concerns over the outlook of Nintendo’s handheld and home-console business, which account for most of the company’s profit and sales, Nintendo should make better use of its more than $10 billion cash pile, investor Tetsuro Ii said.

“Nintendo should aggressively make acquisitions or increase returns to its shareholders,” said Ii, president of Tokyo-based Commons Asset Management Inc., which held 2,200 Nintendo shares as of February, according to the company’s website. “It’s management’s task to consider how to make use of the cash.”

If Nintendo moves to the iPhone, then I wouldn't be a gamer anymore...

Edited by brian6330, 11 August 2011 - 08:01 AM.

#3 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

No, just no.Iphone games i have seen so far have never been deep enough. I even seen ports of street fighter and devil may cry 4 on it and are no where close to the actually console versions.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#4 PK-Gaming

PK-Gaming

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ubisoft,CD Projekt,Take Two

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

It's just people want Nintendo's first partys and Miyamato
Posted Image

#5 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Splatterhouse, Sonic

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

OH **** to the ******* naw!!! Give me a list of ppl and a 2x4! It's time to do some ******* CARPENTRY!!!!

These people that know nothing of how gamers think or how the entertainment industry works need to fall off their high horse. There is no way Nintendo would move to being a crappy app producer or become a third party. Another thing that shows these ppl have no idea what they are talking about, is this quote

The flop of the 3DS debut prompted the company to slash prices 40 percent in Japan starting today, the first time the games developer has resorted to such a move within six months of a product’s debut.

Nothing in this sentence is true nor holds any merit. These guys need to look at more than money or lose their jobs altogether, the economy isn't just money, it's people. And the fact that they don't bring up any numbers to back these "what Ninty should do" claims is utter crap.

PS. I'm MIFFED!!
M-I-F-F-E-D Miffed!
Posted Image

#6 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

I heard a while ago that there was going to be a Pokemon app for iOS devices later this year. I can see Nintendo making some apps/mini-games for smartphones in the future, as more and more people are getting smartphones these days and there's money to be made there. However, I don't think that Nintendo will keep their proper games to handhelds and consoles though. Almost all smartphones lack proper buttons these days, which often leads to touchscreen buttons, which don't really work. Also, most smartphone users won't spend several hours playing a Legend of Zelda game on their phone. Smartphone games generally are only played in short bursts.

#7 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

I'm just going to say I disagree with the guy. Just saying this is not my opinion. Clearing it up.
Posted Image

#8 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

I'm just going to say I disagree with the guy. Just saying this is not my opinion. Clearing it up.

I don;t think anyone's mad at you but those guys can go suck it.
Posted Image

#9 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fandom:
    NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

This guy is an idiot :/
If they moved to the iPhone, goodbye console/handheld gaming; hello PC gaming.
No signature here....

#10 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#11 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

This guy is an idiot :/

Who? Me? Or the guy in the article?
Posted Image

#12 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

No...just no. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. At this point in time, people are majorly overvaluing the iPhone market. Yeah, apps are generally 99 cents. Because that's what they're WORTH. Most apps aren't even worth the 99 cents they're asking. I'd rather pay $40 for a game that lasts me 60+ hours (I'm looking at you, Ocarina of Time 3D) than pay $1 for something that can only get me a couple hours of gameplay over the course of a month.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

iPhone games are not the next generation.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

I dont want them to. As they have said that they will not be making games for other systems and it would just feel wierd. Plus not everbody wants to play games on phones.

#15 The One Who Wrote This

The One Who Wrote This

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Marth, Link, Samus, Zero, & Exdeath

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

I seriously don't want this to happen at all. Those incompetent ne'er-do-wells that call themselves "investors" just SICKEN me!!

#16 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

It would be a bad move on nintendo's part. Besides the games sucking once ported to the apple devices, apple products are easily hacked and most people play the apps for free.

#17 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

No...just no. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. At this point in time, people are majorly overvaluing the iPhone market. Yeah, apps are generally 99 cents. Because that's what they're WORTH. Most apps aren't even worth the 99 cents they're asking. I'd rather pay $40 for a game that lasts me 60+ hours (I'm looking at you, Ocarina of Time 3D) than pay $1 for something that can only get me a couple hours of gameplay over the course of a month.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this.
Posted Image

#18 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this.

Thanks for agreeing. :P

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#19 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

No way in hell should Nintendo move to the iphone. The PS Vita however, would be a yes. Imagine Zelda with PS3 graphics on a handheld. Do want.

If Nintendo ever did something like that (became Sega and let Sony and M$ take over gaming) it would be the end of gaming. The way they run things iPhones would eventually become "true" gaming peripherals.
Posted Image

#20 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

At first I was like "Hell, no,' but I think this is the perfect 'Opportunity' for Nintendo :D

You might think I'm suddenly crazy, but if Ninty could get away with charging a dollar for a single level of Mario 3DS, then sticking a 'Want more? BUY A 3DS!' thingy at the end, they would see HUGE sales boosts. And make a profit from the app 'Game' :P

Douby Apple would let them, though :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!