Glenka

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • NNID:Glenka
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, PKMN, SSBM, MH3, Yu-Gi-Oh

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

I remember when i bought a freeloader to my Wii because of the region lock that's on it. I do have a PAL-system and i'm interested in buying games for NTSC-U and NTSC-J.

Does anyone know if/when it will be a Freeloader for the Wii U system too?

I tried googling for it and found nothing. Might be a stupid question, but there's no chance for the old Freeloader to work on the Wii U? It shouldn't work, but hopefully someone tried and succeded  :rolleyes:

...I don't got the disc anymore, that's why i'm asking you guys =)

#2 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

So far there isn't anything like that for the Wii U.  Modders have successfully loaded the Homebrew channel on the Wii U's Wii Mode, however, which would allow for the use of applications that ignore game regions or force them to run in a certain mode allowed by the console. But again, this only works in Wii mode, so there's still no solution for Wii U games.  I am planning to just buy a PAL Wii U because it's not clear how long it may take to see such a work-around.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

I think they patched the freeloader in system menu 3.4 or something.

You'd have to homebrew, but a system update will overwrite your modifications automatically.

Doubt a new one for Wii U will be made.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Yeah I highly doubt we will see this - Nintendo is pretty firm on region locking. 

Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#5 Glenka

Glenka

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hmm... that's too bad. There are a couple of games that i was interested in (especially Madden NFL 13). That's one of the games that will never be released in Europe.

#6 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hmm... that's too bad. There are a couple of games that i was interested in (especially Madden NFL 13). That's one of the games that will never be released in Europe.

Count your blessings that you don't have to worry about Madden 13.  The only worthwhile feature was the ability to make plays on the gamepad.  Everything else was basically Madden for the past 6 years, nothing worth $60.

#7 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

That would atleast show variety, I mean Q.U.B.E. is coming to Wii U.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#8 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

As already mentioned the freeloader for the Wii was disabled through an update and never worked after that. Its not likely there will ever be one for the Wii U.

#9 Glenka

Glenka

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Count your blessings that you don't have to worry about Madden 13.  The only worthwhile feature was the ability to make plays on the gamepad.  Everything else was basically Madden for the past 6 years, nothing worth $60.

Okej, the thing is i've never really played a NFL-game before either. I saw the trailer and it looked really interesting. I'll take your word for it that it's not worth playing  :laugh:

That would atleast show variety, I mean Q.U.B.E. is coming to Wii U.

Yeah, i've never heard of the game and went to youtube to watch some gameplay. Looked kinda cool and i like the simplicity of the game. Will check out some reviews and probably get it once it's released.

As already mentioned the freeloader for the Wii was disabled through an update and never worked after that. Its not likely there will ever be one for the Wii U.

That's too bad though. Hopefully they don't have any good titles specified to a certain region. To be honest i don't quite see the reason why they're doing like this. Okej, fine. If they release the game to another region later on i can see why. But take Madden for an example: It will sell better in the states, but there are ppl interested in purchasing the game in Asia/Europe/Australia. We will NEVER be able to buy it due to the region lock. That's some cash gone missing for Nintendo.

Am i just stupid or do anyone know the benefits of locking it to multiple regions like that? :blink:  

#10 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Okej, the thing is i've never really played a NFL-game before either. I saw the trailer and it looked really interesting. I'll take your word for it that it's not worth playing  :laugh:

Yeah, i've never heard of the game and went to youtube to watch some gameplay. Looked kinda cool and i like the simplicity of the game. Will check out some reviews and probably get it once it's released.

That's too bad though. Hopefully they don't have any good titles specified to a certain region. To be honest i don't quite see the reason why they're doing like this. Okej, fine. If they release the game to another region later on i can see why. But take Madden for an example: It will sell better in the states, but there are ppl interested in purchasing the game in Asia/Europe/Australia. We will NEVER be able to buy it due to the region lock. That's some cash gone missing for Nintendo.

Am i just stupid or do anyone know the benefits of locking it to multiple regions like that? :blink:  

Its up to the publisher to release the game in those regions.  The problem is that each country has it's own copyright laws and trademarks, and allowing distribution between regions could cause some lawsuits in the future.

#11 Glenka

Glenka

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Its up to the publisher to release the game in those regions.  The problem is that each country has it's own copyright laws and trademarks, and allowing distribution between regions could cause some lawsuits in the future.

Yeah, but the PS3 didn't have that lock on it (owned one before i sold it). I could play american games on my european PS3. Geez, idk, but it's a bit frustrating :wacko:  

#12 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

There are a number of reasons why some some companies decide to make their hardware and/or software region specific. Its not quite straight forward though. One thing is that each region or country is treated as an individual market and imports would interfere with the sales in that particular region or country. Each region or country has to answer to the parent company. Then there is content that may not be appropriate in certain areas and also the fact that their are different ratings systems. There is also licensing and publishing issues. The licensing rights for a particular game may vary between areas as may the publishing rights. The same game in some instances can be published by different companies in different areas.

As you see its quite complex and and there are several reasons. Sony for what ever reason chooses to ignore this altogether and Microsoft leaves it up to the developers and publishers, whilst Nintendo uses blanket region locking. Strangely enough up until the DSi none of Nintendo's portable consoles had region locking. Their home consoles have always done. It is annoying because I've always imported games but as I also own a PS3 and 360 its not as big of an issue to me.

That's part of it but there are other reasons too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!