Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Futurama is coming to an end… Again. EW.com has revealed that Comedy Central is not renewing the series and that the episodes airing this summer on June 19 – the second half of Season 7 -- will be the final ones, with the finale airing on September 4th.

Futurama of course had has a long, strange ride. It began on FOX in 1999 and was cancelled in 2003. It then returned as four straight-to-DVD movies, which also were edited into episodes shown on Comedy Central. And then Comedy Central ordered brand new episodes, which began airing in 2010.

Given the fact that they felt the show was over when FOX cancelled it and once again when they completed the DVD movies, co-creator David X. Cohen said Comedy Central’s decision wasn’t a shock, particularly since they were surprised when the cable channel ordered 26 additional episodes two years ago after the first 26 they ordered. He tells EW, “I felt like we were already in the bonus round on these last couple of seasons, so I can’t say I was devastated by the news. It was what I had expected two years earlier. At this point I keep a suitcase by my office door so I can be cancelled at a moment’s notice.”

While the producers say they are exploring options for yet another home for Futurama, there are no serious talks occurring with another network at the moment. Co-creator Matt Groening tells EW, “We’ve been in this situation before and it’s tempting when you’re doing episodes that are as good or better than anything you’ve ever done to continue doing it. We’re catching our breath and seeing what the fans have to say. The experience of this show has been so much fun from the very beginning to now — everybody is so happy to work on this show — that it’d be a shame if we all went our separate ways… We would love to continue. We have many more stories to tell. But if we don’t, this is a really great way to go out… I think these episodes are the best ones we’ve ever done.”

Describing this as “the natural end” for Futurama, Comedy Central’s Dave Bernath says, “That’s a helluva run that few shows achieve, and especially given the fact that it came back to life, it’s really an amazing story,” he says. “I’m more thankful and feel a sense of gratitude toward the whole process — and that we found a way to keep going for 52 more episodes — than I really am even thinking about the ending. It’s a blessing that it came back and lasted so long.”

EW notes that Futurama has declined in viewers since it returned on Comedy Central, averaging 2.6 million viewers in 2010, 2.3 million in 2011, and 1.7 million in 2012. When it finishes its run on Comedy Central this summer, Futurama will have aired 140 episodes.

http://www.ign.com/a...0cbbcba3a000007

Well this is so sudden and unexpected. I thought it was doing quite well on Comedy Central, .. I'm sad to see it go again.  140 episode though is a lot, that's more than most shows see. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

I wonder what the last episode will be like.... Will Fry go back to the year 2000?

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#3 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

Sad. It had a good run, I guess.

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

I will miss that show.

Signature_DK.png

#5 PixelKnot

PixelKnot

Blooper

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Very sad to see it cancelled again.

This is still one of the best adult animated comedies ever on TV, imo.

#6 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have recorded 5 seasons on TV and i`m watching it these days from the start. To be honest, way better than the last seasons of The Simpsons.

But like everything, it also has na end. Maybe in the future we will see more movies.

#7 PixelKnot

PixelKnot

Blooper

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I've always liked Futurama more than the Simpsons in general.

#8 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Take no offense but thank god its ending. No show needs to run for so long, now if only we can do the same with the Simpsons.....

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#9 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Futurama, an interesting and funny show gets cancelled but crappy shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men and How I met your Mother which should have been cancelled years ago get to continue. This is upsetting. Especially considering there is a lack of decent comedies on TV at the moment.

On the other hand this could be seen as good news in a way. We have seen how long The Simpsons has been allowed to continue and how bad it has become so at least we can be glad that Futurama won't go the same way.

#10 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

It better come back again...

#11 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Futurama, an interesting and funny show gets cancelled but crappy shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men and How I met your Mother

Funny how most internet memes come from those shows.

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

Well this is a shame, I like Futurama more than The Simpsons.

#13 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

wait. its still going? i thought the last episode aired a while ago. wasnt the last episode the one where bender becomes all knowing and tells leela and fry their future together?

#14 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

It's funny because Futurama is the one "adult oriented" cartoon that actually tries anymore. It's humor/timing is smart, the characters have excellent personas and development, and because it takes place in a futuristic setting, it can basically go anywhere to create more plots.

I really love the show and I at least want two more seasons out of it. Matt Groening said that he WAS looking into another network if the show got cancelled on CC so there is a small glimmar of hope.

Also, Fox apparently stated that if the show went reliatevely well on Comedy Central that they might bring it back. Of course, they most likely won't seeing as how they are under the curse of Seth MacFarline.

#15 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

I've only watched this show a couple times. It's funny, but I'm not too concerned with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!