• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 abluehaze

abluehaze

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

I've been wanting to get a new "toy" because I'm tired of the current consoles.  I'm considering getting either a Vita or a Wii U.  It seems like Nintendo might be in serious trouble though because the Wii U isn't selling and they've made some serious errors with the Wii U (like the name).  It seems a lot of consumers don't even realize that the Wii U is a new system that requires new games etc.  

Would like to hear from people that currently have a Wii U and if you regret the purchase or not.  

Edited by abluehaze, 26 April 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#2 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

POPULAR

Im enjoying Injustice and NFS on my Wii U and will enjoy it even more once Mario Kart 8 comes out so...

Spoiler

Edited by VGCrasher, 26 April 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#3 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Spoiler

Nuff said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by routerbad, 26 April 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Absolutely not. There are bumps in the road, not denying that, but with any piece of technology whether it's a phone, game console, laptop... nothings perfect. The Wii U update that just arrived last night it superb and speeds up the OS while adding some much needed features and changes.

The catalog of games, while slow in the beginning of the year is ramping up and I've currently got more games then I can handle... and I have more on my wishlist. The unique features of MiiVerse, Off TV & asymmetric gameplay is just some of the things I love about the Wii U.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I do regret buying it at launch, just a few weeks ago a target ad offered it with a free game,  plus all my problems haven't been fixed until todays update.

Other than that, just owning the console for Pikmin 3 makes me happy as hell

794144.png?13383682

#6 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

I hardly regret owning a WiiU. Yeah, its in a rough patch, but that's gonna change. Quite a few games coming out in the next few months, and then you still got those Christmas heavy-hitters and unannounced titles.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#7 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

I must admit there were a couple times when the thought entered my mind... I'm not a huge fan of games like NFSMW or Monster Hunter (my parents wouldn't let me get them anyway ._.), so I only have 3 games for the system: Ninty Land, NSMBU and LEGO City: Undercover. But now that we're getting news of some epic 1st party games coming up, I'm very excited. You might want to wait a couple months if you're a mostly 1st party person like me, but if the lineup as of now interests you, go for it! :)

Edited by MatrixChicken, 26 April 2013 - 08:35 AM.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#8 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

No I don't regret it. I love it.

#9 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

No, because I don't own one. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#10 patchboston

patchboston

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

I absolutely love my Wii U! This is coming from someone who grew up in the "golden age of gaming" and has high expectations. With that said, now would be a perfect time to buy! the market is starting to see some new games being released that are only going to pull more people in towards purchasing a Wii u, Nintendo is starting to realize they made several mistakes with branding and updates (this new update is a god-send, btw), and you can find great deals on used systems or even new systems! Buy it.

As I was playing NintendoLand the other day I started to appreciate the game a little more than I had back during release. I will admit, it was a pack-in and I didn't even plan to play it, but now I'm really getting into it! Invite a friend over and play Battle Quest and I guarantee that you will have a blast!

Not to mention, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart, all of the other Nintendo IP...it's going to gain momentum and then you'll be wondering why you didn't pick up a console sooner! 

#11 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

So you're worried about the Wii U's sales, but not the Vita's (which has been out for a year now and still selling rather poorly)? The only choice I regret is purchasing my Vita. My Wii U sees daily usage thanks to Monster Hunter.

#12 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Bought it on launch day, no regrets. 

Love the new pad. Enjoying the games, especially the discounted classic titles.

Ignore the Naysayers. 

#13 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

I do regret buying it at launch

Yeah me too. I sometimes wish I had just waited until April to buy it when all the games and the console itself are much cheaper, there are more games to choose from, and the console's issues are all pretty much fixed.

So I would say it is worth buying now.

#14 abluehaze

abluehaze

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I absolutely love my Wii U! This is coming from someone who grew up in the "golden age of gaming" and has high expectations. With that said, now would be a perfect time to buy! the market is starting to see some new games being released that are only going to pull more people in towards purchasing a Wii u, Nintendo is starting to realize they made several mistakes with branding and updates (this new update is a god-send, btw), and you can find great deals on used systems or even new systems! Buy it.

As I was playing NintendoLand the other day I started to appreciate the game a little more than I had back during release. I will admit, it was a pack-in and I didn't even plan to play it, but now I'm really getting into it! Invite a friend over and play Battle Quest and I guarantee that you will have a blast!

Not to mention, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart, all of the other Nintendo IP...it's going to gain momentum and then you'll be wondering why you didn't pick up a console sooner! 

What do you consider to be the "golden age of gaming"?  I grew up in a older generation of gaming too so I'm curious if we grew up playing the same games.  

So you're worried about the Wii U's sales, but not the Vita's (which has been out for a year now and still selling rather poorly)? The only choice I regret is purchasing my Vita. My Wii U sees daily usage thanks to Monster Hunter.

I see more potential in the Vita now that Sony is pushing really hard with indie devs.  I think indie games are the future of the gaming industry.  Also the interconnectivity between the Vita and PS4 really has me interested.  

#15 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I've been wanting to get a new "toy" because I'm tired of the current consoles.  I'm considering getting either a Vita or a Wii U.  It seems like Nintendo might be in serious trouble though because the Wii U isn't selling and they've made some serious errors with the Wii U (like the name).  It seems a lot of consumers don't even realize that the Wii U is a new system that requires new games etc.  

Would like to hear from people that currently have a Wii U and if you regret the purchase or not.  

not really because I know good games will come. although it isn't very fun yet.

Posted Imageby cerberuz

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

What do you consider to be the "golden age of gaming"?  I grew up in a older generation of gaming too so I'm curious if we grew up playing the same games.  

I see more potential in the Vita now that Sony is pushing really hard with indie devs.  I think indie games are the future of the gaming industry.  Also the interconnectivity between the Vita and PS4 really has me interested.  

Nintendo has been pushing even harder, with HTML5 support for apps on WiiU as well as a partnership with Unity, who make the most popular graphics engine for indie developers.  They've also lowered license and royalty fees, removed concept approval (something that's been around since the NES), given developers control over release dates and pricing on the eShop, and started giving away devkits on good faith that the developer will release a game to the eShop to select indie devs.

Keeping in mind this is Nintendo, it's unprecedented for them and a 180 from what development for Wii was like.

There are a number of indie games in development and on kickstarter that have Wii U as the primary console, or the only console.  Included is Road Redemption, Forgotten Memories, Guns of Icarus, and many more.

#17 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I understand and respect your opinion. However, I didn't buy a Vita for indie games. I bought it for quality titles that were promised. Unfortunately, all we've received are watered down ports and mediocre games. There is a ton of wasted potential. As for the interconnectivity between the Vita and the PS4, I doubt we'll see much use of that. Not enough people will own a PS4 and Vita together in order for Sony to fully take advantage of it.

#18 patchboston

patchboston

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think the golden age could really be the generation of games you grew up with, but the late 80's to late 90's encompasses that period when gaming offered a large variety and many great technological leaps and bounds. It was awesome :) It seemed arcades were becoming the center of interests again, the home market flourished, and there was a ton of variety in gameplay. 

I also collect arcade games and people in the arcade circles tend to think the early 80s was the golden-era, but I disagree because the market nearly died after two years and it took a long time to gain the momentum that was short-lived. Again, to each his own. If you like to read, I highly recommend checking out The Ultimate History of Video Games by Steven L. Kent. Steller book! 

Edited by patchboston, 26 April 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#19 abluehaze

abluehaze

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I think the golden age could really be the generation of games you grew up with, but the late 80's to late 90's encompasses that period when gaming offered a large variety and many great technological leaps and bounds. It was awesome :) It seemed arcades were becoming the center of interests again, the home market flourished, and there was a ton of variety in gameplay.

I also collect arcade games and people in the arcade circles tend to think the early 80s was the golden-era, but I disagree because the market nearly died after two years and it took a long time to gain the momentum that was short-lived. Again, to each his own. If you like to read, I highly recommend checking out The Ultimate History of Video Games by Steven L. Kent. Steller book!

I would say the NES era was the golden era for gaming. Most of todays games have their roots in genres that began on the NES. The NES was also the birth of the modern gaming controller which is largely unchanged even today. Anything prior to the NES was really pretty simplistic and still an experiment in controller designs and genres etc.

I'm a Nintendo fan from way back but really am concerned about the future of the Wii U and Nintendo in general. They seem totally clueless in recent years. First they release the 3DS that has 3D that no one cares about with only one analog stick to release a stupid add on second analog stick just a couple of months later. Then they have this disaster that has been the Wii U. I don't want to see Nintendo fail but a company that has made so many horrible decisions is doomed.

I guess I'm kind of answering my own question. I WANT to want a Wii U but at this point it just doesn't make any sense. At least with Sony it seems that they understand and have learned from their mistakes. The Vita appears to be a very solid nicely built device with loads of potential that could see its potential reached by indie devs getting interested in it. Not to mention that the Vita and PS4 will interact in similar ways to the Wii U but the Vita will be a standalone device on it's own unlike the Wii U gamepad.

Edited by abluehaze, 26 April 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#20 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I see more potential in the Vita now that Sony is pushing really hard with indie devs.

Nintendo is pushing really hard with indie devs as well. All you ever hear from the indie community is praise for Nintendo's efforts/approach.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!