Photo

Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That Wii U Is Underpowered And Says...

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

From what i have seen the Wiiu is leaps ahead of the much older systems, i'm not just on about graphics which clearly are better but game play methods. People tend to forget the control pad is not just a touch screen, it has many features that can be used in games to enhance the gameplay. 

Also worth a mention is the software the machine runs,although in it's early days things like Miiverse offer another way of adding a new angle to games.

So although the graphics are better than ps360 they do not make the reason the console was designed as powerful as it is - gameplay!

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#22 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

From what i have seen the Wiiu is leaps ahead of the much older systems, i'm not just on about graphics which clearly are better but game play methods. People tend to forget the control pad is not just a touch screen, it has many features that can be used in games to enhance the gameplay.
Also worth a mention is the software the machine runs,although in it's early days things like Miiverse offer another way of adding a new angle to games.

So although the graphics are better than ps360 they do not make the reason the console was designed as powerful as it is - gameplay!

Your wisdom is far beyond others on this forum. I hope people read your post and understand what Next Gen means.

(and no, I am not being sarcastic. I like and agree with what you said!)
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#23 Blade of Dyna

Blade of Dyna

Spear Guy

• Banned
  • 84 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby and Zelda

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Your wisdom is far beyond others on this forum. I hope people read your post and understand what Next Gen means.

(and no, I am not being sarcastic. I like and agree with what you said!)

as long as developers analyst and other non nintendo bias people see graphics above gameplay thats what Next Gen is going tomean and Nintendo needs to get with the program

it already looks like Nintendo will be surviving off their fanbase this gen since core gamers will be buying the ps4 and nextbox and casuals dont even know what the Wii U is.

#24 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Lets just hope this whole debacle can be fixed now, well at least he's acknowlaging it, that's the first step.

#25 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

as long as developers analyst and other non nintendo bias people see graphics above gameplay thats what Next Gen is going tomean and Nintendo needs to get with the program

it already looks like Nintendo will be surviving off their fanbase this gen since core gamers will be buying the ps4 and nextbox and casuals dont even know what the Wii U is.

Next Gen simply means the next system. The next device. That's all it is.

#26 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Lets just hope this whole debacle can be fixed now, well at least he's acknowlaging it, that's the first step.

Iwata is also the guy who admitted the 3ds had a bad launch and promised the Wii U wouldn't suffer the same fate as they learnt their lesson. So in realuty Iwata saying something means nithing to me at this point we want action and need to see results.

#27 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Does this mean one of Nintendo's IP's this E3 will have next gen visuals? (not that visuals mean eveything. But as I said it's the easiest way to show consumers, publishers and developers the nex gen capabilities of your console without cold hard specs)

#28 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

We know that but that isn't was the mass majority believes. Even developers are saying true next gen systems making Wii U seem irrelavent. The only people that are saying great things about this console now are Indies and pro nintendo developers like shinen multimedia. No one else is giving us any belief that they belief in the console. Even Ubisoft how has been the most supportive is being very vague in their comments about the console.

#29 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Iwata is also the guy who admitted the 3ds had a bad launch and promised the Wii U wouldn't suffer the same fate as they learnt their lesson. So in realuty Iwata saying something means nithing to me at this point we want action and need to see results.

There wasn't much he could do post 3DS Launch unless he was going to delay said launch. Not enough time to make the games we would want. I think Pikman 3 was suppose to be the big launch title but it was delayed. Which makes me mad.

But I fully understand your concern. What do I say? Don't believe him. But when the evidence is staring you in the face, and the graphics are better than what we have seen so far, don't say it's not close enough -- or dare I say it -- "next gen". Because it will be.

(and look at this in a logical point of view.

Look at this Game Play Footage of Perfect Dark Zero, launch day game. Exclusive Xbox 360.

Doesn't look any better than what is one of the best of the GCN-XBX-PS2 Gen, Halo 2.

http://youtu.be/K_y3cbIV-Xg?t=1m48s

Now look, one year after Xbox 360 came out (when the PS3 was released) at Gears of Wars 1.

http://youtu.be/ugjgEisc-Cs?t=58s

And look at a Launch Day title for the PS3 (exclusive) Resistance Fall of Man

http://youtu.be/LZKqzP4xd8g?t=1m

It looks closer to the Perfect Dark Zero then it does Gears of Wars. Now look at gameplay from a one year after release PS3 exclusive.

http://youtu.be/xVfqg5aujyU?t=3m59s

As you can see, a year after launch graphics are ALWAYS better. The only time this may not be true is with the Wii, when it was recycled old gen GCN tech in a Next Gen Console called the Wii. Because technically, the best the GCN could be was done before the Wii was released. But the Wii U is not recycled tech. It's brand new, designed ground up for the Wii U. One year down the road from Launch the graphics will look better, and that is usually when gamers say it's "next gen".

Still need to be persuaded? Look at the latest PS3 exclusive that blew my mind, The Last of Us.

http://youtu.be/kbLOokeC3VU?t=1m3s

So, with your line of thinking, along with Desert Punks and everyone else, the PS3 should not be able to produce these type of graphics. I mean, at launch day in 2006 it wasn't possible. Those graphics must be on the PS4. Right?

Wrong.

So again, don't believe logic, don't believe Iwata. Just when the time comes for Nintendo to show us what Retro is doing -- who has talent from Naughty Dog -- and show us any other games that are being worked on (like Super Smash Bros U) -- please, please don't be like "Oh, um sorry that isn't next gen. Um, PS4 rules. Um, Xbox 720 blows that out of the water." Just accept that the graphics look good. And enjoy them, because as I have shown, graphics will get better and won't peak until about four to five years down the road.)

And just to edit my own reply, please understand, I believe the Xbox 720 and PS4 will be more powerful than the Wii U. Just like I have always believed, and still do with the evidence in front of me, that the PS3 -- which came out a year after the 360 -- is more powerful than the 360. Look at Halo 4.

http://youtu.be/JYTxQf9DN_0?t=3m6s

It's amazing, yes, better than Gears of Wars 1, sure. But not Blow Your Mind OMGz I'm Going 2 Diez Right Now Good. And I think most will agree with me.

And, if rumors are true that I recently heard and the Xbox 720 won't launch until next year -- a HUGE mistake for Microsoft if true -- it will probably be the most powerful console and will end up blowing the Wii U out five years down the road. That would mean the 720 has two years lead on Nintendo in terms of tech, and two years is a lot.

However, even with that said, Multiplat engine's will still run on the Wii U because they will make sure of it. Assuming said developer wants to spend the time making said engine work for power ISA, which is probably going to be a problem for Nintendo.

Edited by MorbidGod, 27 April 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#30 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

There wasn't much he could do post 3DS Launch unless he was going to delay said launch. Not enough time to make the games we would want. I think Pikman 3 was suppose to be the big launch title but it was delayed. Which makes me mad.

But I fully understand your concern. What do I say? Don't believe him. But when the evidence is staring you in the face, and the graphics are better than what we have seen so far, don't say it's not close enough -- or dare I say it -- "next gen". Because it will be.

(and look at this in a logical point of view.

Look at this Game Play Footage of Perfect Dark Zero, launch day game. Exclusive Xbox 360.

Doesn't look any better than what is one of the best of the GCN-XBX-PS2 Gen, Halo 2.

http://youtu.be/K_y3cbIV-Xg?t=1m48s

Now look, one year after Xbox 360 came out (when the PS3 was released) at Gears of Wars 1.

http://youtu.be/ugjgEisc-Cs?t=58s

And look at a Launch Day title for the PS3 (exclusive) Resistance Fall of Man

http://youtu.be/LZKqzP4xd8g?t=1m

It looks closer to the Perfect Dark Zero then it does Gears of Wars. Now look at gameplay from a one year after release PS3 exclusive.

http://youtu.be/xVfqg5aujyU?t=3m59s

As you can see, a year after launch graphics are ALWAYS better. The only time this may not be true is with the Wii, when it was recycled old gen GCN tech in a Next Gen Console called the Wii. Because technically, the best the GCN could be was done before the Wii was released. But the Wii U is not recycled tech. It's brand new, designed ground up for the Wii U. One year down the road from Launch the graphics will look better, and that is usually when gamers say it's "next gen".

Still need to be persuaded? Look at the latest PS3 exclusive that blew my mind, The Last of Us.

http://youtu.be/kbLOokeC3VU?t=1m3s

So, with your line of thinking, along with Desert Punks and everyone else, the PS3 should not be able to produce these type of graphics. I mean, at launch day in 2006 it wasn't possible. Those graphics must be on the PS4. Right?

Wrong.

So again, don't believe logic, don't believe Iwata. Just when the time comes for Nintendo to show us what Retro is doing -- who has talent from Naughty Dog -- and show us any other games that are being worked on (like Super Smash Bros U) -- please, please don't be like "Oh, um sorry that isn't next gen. Um, PS4 rules. Um, Xbox 720 blows that out of the water." Just accept that the graphics look good. And enjoy them, because as I have shown, graphics will get better and won't peak until about four to five years down the road.)

And just to edit my own reply, please understand, I believe the Xbox 720 and PS4 will be more powerful than the Wii U. Just like I have always believed, and still do with the evidence in front of me, that the PS3 -- which came out a year after the 360 -- is more powerful than the 360. Look at Halo 4.

http://youtu.be/JYTxQf9DN_0?t=3m6s

It's amazing, yes, better than Gears of Wars 1, sure. But not Blow Your Mind OMGz I'm Going 2 Diez Right Now Good. And I think most will agree with me.

And, if rumors are true that I recently heard and the Xbox 720 won't launch until next year -- a HUGE mistake for Microsoft if true -- it will probably be the most powerful console and will end up blowing the Wii U out five years down the road. That would mean the 720 has two years lead on Nintendo in terms of tech, and two years is a lot.

However, even with that said, Multiplat engine's will still run on the Wii U because they will make sure of it. Assuming said developer wants to spend the time making said engine work for power ISA, which is probably going to be a problem for Nintendo.

Those things are to be assumed. All people have been saying is they haven't seen anything greatly beyond PS360. You can't hate on them for what their eyes are seeing. I have a Wii U and look forward to great graphical games coming to the system. All people are saying is as of right NOW they don't see anything that puts it in another league. Its getting Native 720P titles running at 30FPS for the most part. I'm on record saying I have no idea what the Wii U is going to be able to achieve on a technical level. But the next two months are gonna solve pieces to that puzzle. Its gonna be fun time. Meltdowns are gonna happen on both sides of the fence.

#31 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Those things are to be assumed. All people have been saying is they haven't seen anything greatly beyond PS360. You can't hate on them for what their eyes are seeing. have a Wii U and look forward to great graphical games coming to the system. All people are saying is as of right NOW they don't see anything that puts it in another league. Its getting Native 720P titles running at 30FPS for the most part. I'm on record saying I have no idea what the Wii U is going to be able to achieve on a technical level. But the next two months are gonna solve pieces to that puzzle. Its gonna be fun time. Meltdowns are gonna happen on both sides of the fence.

You can't say I hate you, Desert Punk or anyone. Well, you can say it, but there is no evidence because it ain't so.

I don't blame you for what you say and believe. I just base my view off logic, but that's how my brain works. Most people give someone a chance and when they are burned they run away in anger and don't trust said person again. It happens and I am guilty of that too.

In the case of Nintendo, they have promised more and failed. They made mistakes. We only differ on where those mistakes were made.

^_^ So me no hate you, me loves you (~.^) in a non creepy way of course lol

#32 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Does this mean one of Nintendo's IP's this E3 will have next gen visuals? (not that visuals mean eveything. But as I said it's the easiest way to show consumers, publishers and developers the nex gen capabilities of your console without cold hard specs)

I'm gonna say yes. probably. The thing is that technically speaking they will probably be next gen visuals, but remember the art style for many nintendo games are more cartoony so people will probably rip them apart for it anyway. I personally am getting pretty excited to see mariokart in HD. I loved the graphics on the wii. they weren't the best on the system, but they looked really neat (on my standard def tv at least)

#33 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Advance SP, GameBoy Micro.

Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL.

So not exactly :P.

Posted Image

#34 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

HA very true. Handhelds for Nintendo are a different story. Nintendo does a lot of revisions with their handhelds, something unique to them.

I wonder why they don't do that with the home consoles. It would be cool if every year or so they have a new design or color or something to help sell new consoles.

#35 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

You can't say I hate you, Desert Punk or anyone. Well, you can say it, but there is no evidence because it ain't so.

I don't blame you for what you say and believe. I just base my view off logic, but that's how my brain works. Most people give someone a chance and when they are burned they run away in anger and don't trust said person again. It happens and I am guilty of that too.

In the case of Nintendo, they have promised more and failed. They made mistakes. We only differ on where those mistakes were made.

^_^ So me no hate you, me loves you (~.^) in a non creepy way of course lol

i didnt mean hate as in actual hate. i just meant i guess kinda thinking they are trolls when they really are not. some people are just saying this is what i see at this time. i always will be a nintendo fan and only buy their systems. so i just want them to do well.

I'm gonna say yes. probably. The thing is that technically speaking they will probably be next gen visuals, but remember the art style for many nintendo games are more cartoony so people will probably rip them apart for it anyway. I personally am getting pretty excited to see mariokart in HD. I loved the graphics on the wii. they weren't the best on the system, but they looked really neat (on my standard def tv at least)

me also i mlooking forward to mario kart its really going to sell a lot of systems. cant even imagine the fun of online multiplayer races. man i dont see how nintendo loses the sales race this holiday season if mario kart launches in that timeframe.

#36 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

I think it was obvious that they meant next system that is a complete overhaul from the previous one.

The GBA SP was the GBA with improvements, the DSi was a DS with improvements, but none of them made a huge change to the architecture of the internal hardware itself.  A slightly better WiFi chip, slightly more RAM or a higher clock speed of the CPU, that does not count as a generation leap as its just the same design tweaked a little.

This is why the Wii was an oddball as it was really just a revision of the Gamecube due to Nintendo wanting to innovate on the control scheme rather than the internal hardware.  However make no mistake, the Wii U is again another generation, its completely different from the Wii.  Yes they included aspects of the Wii in there for backwards compatibility reasons, but its not just a Wii overclocked, its completely different hardware and thus a generational leap.

I'm not sure what to think about Iwata saying this though.  Its a silly comment as saying something isn't under-powered is a meaningless comment unless you are comparing it to something.

Its like saying a small car with an 0.8litre engine isn't under-powered.  Compared to a race car it sure is, but if I only need it to get to the local shops and back it is not.  Meaning that from Nintendos point of view then no I don't think the Wii U is under-powered, but from a gamer wanting to choose a console from PS4, Xbox Next and Wii U it most certainly is, there is no denying it.

Now what Iwata is trying to say I think, is that it IS a reasonable leap above the current generation and that it has plenty of room for making better games than the current generation, he is also factoring in the GamePad into that.  That most certainly is true too, but again its even MORE true of the PS3/Xbox Next, so it really does depend on which direction you are looking.

For me personally, I am looking forward to what Nintendo will do with the Wii U but I am somewhat let down by the console as a whole.  The OS is clunky, its still REALLY slow even after the update when you compare it to the speed we are used to on smart phones which are orders of magnitude LESS powerful than the Wii U.  Even LEGO City Undercover for how much I love it, I don't think the GamePad controls add a great deal to the game (its most useful for the map but a bit of a chore with them not having a mini map on the TV) and I would enjoy the game just as much without them, possibly more as the size and weight reduction would be more comfortable.

So we are still waiting on the games that REALLY show off the GamePad.  The first game that actually needs a good inventory system is going to really show off the GamePad IMO, everything else is a bit gimmicky.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#37 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I think it was obvious that they meant next system that is a complete overhaul from the previous one.

The GBA SP was the GBA with improvements, the DSi was a DS with improvements, but none of them made a huge change to the architecture of the internal hardware itself. A slightly better WiFi chip, slightly more RAM or a higher clock speed of the CPU, that does not count as a generation leap as its just the same design tweaked a little.

This is why the Wii was an oddball as it was really just a revision of the Gamecube due to Nintendo wanting to innovate on the control scheme rather than the internal hardware. However make no mistake, the Wii U is again another generation, its completely different from the Wii. Yes they included aspects of the Wii in there for backwards compatibility reasons, but its not just a Wii overclocked, its completely different hardware and thus a generational leap.

I'm not sure what to think about Iwata saying this though. Its a silly comment as saying something isn't under-powered is a meaningless comment unless you are comparing it to something.

Its like saying a small car with an 0.8litre engine isn't under-powered. Compared to a race car it sure is, but if I only need it to get to the local shops and back it is not. Meaning that from Nintendos point of view then no I don't think the Wii U is under-powered, but from a gamer wanting to choose a console from PS4, Xbox Next and Wii U it most certainly is, there is no denying it.

Now what Iwata is trying to say I think, is that it IS a reasonable leap above the current generation and that it has plenty of room for making better games than the current generation, he is also factoring in the GamePad into that. That most certainly is true too, but again its even MORE true of the PS3/Xbox Next, so it really does depend on which direction you are looking.

For me personally, I am looking forward to what Nintendo will do with the Wii U but I am somewhat let down by the console as a whole. The OS is clunky, its still REALLY slow even after the update when you compare it to the speed we are used to on smart phones which are orders of magnitude LESS powerful than the Wii U. Even LEGO City Undercover for how much I love it, I don't think the GamePad controls add a great deal to the game (its most useful for the map but a bit of a chore with them not having a mini map on the TV) and I would enjoy the game just as much without them, possibly more as the size and weight reduction would be more comfortable.

So we are still waiting on the games that REALLY show off the GamePad. The first game that actually needs a good inventory system is going to really show off the GamePad IMO, everything else is a bit gimmicky.

I think this post should have been on the topic about Nintendo saying they haven't shown what the GamePad can do. People are saying they shouldn't emphasize that, but judging by this post they need to.

Anyway, good post! ^_^ Had some points I haven't thought about. Different sides of the same coin.

I would like to say I think he is talking from a developer point of view. About the power.

Using your own example. Lets say all we need is to go from point a to b. Do we need a dodge viper for that, or would a mustang do? Sure, Viper is faster, but the Mustang is pretty good. Viper = PS4 and Mustang = Wii U. End result: Both can play the same engines that third parties will use for mulfiplats.

#38 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

The thing that sh1ts me is they know well in excess of a year in advance when the console will launch, so they obviously know at least another year before that the specs and details of the console, so that gives them minimum of 2 years to create games before it hits market, in that time we should have had a zelda launch title, more than one Mario and possibly a metroid or similar.

Edited by cannonshane, 27 April 2013 - 09:49 PM.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#39 Pong

Pong

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

HA very true. Handhelds for Nintendo are a different story. Nintendo does a lot of revisions with their handhelds, something unique to them.

I wonder why they don't do that with the home consoles. It would be cool if every year or so they have a new design or color or something to help sell new consoles.

PSP 1000, PSP 2000, PSP 3000, PSP GO? It's not just Nintendo.

#40 Blade of Dyna

Blade of Dyna

Spear Guy

• Banned
  • 84 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby and Zelda

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

i dont thamk iwata will change anything even after becoming ceo of noa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!