Photo

No E3, but chance for a better E3 Nintendo Direct?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

I know he said that there wasn`t a finished plan. NDs, yes, but maybe something more, too.
A good way to start speculating! :)

I have only seen some tidbits from Reggie`s presentation as my NDs are either presented by Iwata or Iwata and Shibata. But from what i have seen he`s more laid back. I liked it. To be honest, don`t know if you saw it, but Shibata is also a nice presenter and that part with him singing was really funny!
Nintendo Direct also has it`s good times!

So for exemple, why not put all three to presente the Nintendo Direct? Ask developers to introduce their games and even comment on what they saw from the vídeos; ask Nintendo employees to pretend being Reggie or Iwata and present a little! That would be really funny to watch! ^_^

That would be fun to watch. And in earnest, I usually read about what the ND's say, however watched one with Reggie. I will however be tuning in on what Nintendo does instead of E3.

Which, right there, that tells you some media outlets (like IGN) reports on those ND's. So for those of you who say the media ignores them. Well .. I know at least one site that doesn't!

Anyway that last comment wasn't directed at anyone specific.

From NOA`s press release: "New this year at our booth in the LACC, prior to the show opening, we'll invite a small group of media to play our games".

The media event is not a conference, but only to let them play the games in advance.

Exactly. That's why I am under the belief that Nintendo is going to announce, at least some stuff, before E3. Because why just let them play games? And not tell them before hand what games to expect?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#42 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

That would be fun to watch. And in earnest, I usually read about what the ND's say, however watched one with Reggie. I will however be tuning in on what Nintendo does instead of E3.

Which, right there, that tells you some media outlets (like IGN) reports on those ND's. So for those of you who say the media ignores them. Well .. I know at least one site that doesn't!

Anyway that last comment wasn't directed at anyone specific.

Exactly. That's why I am under the belief that Nintendo is going to announce, at least some stuff, before E3. Because why just let them play games? And not tell them before hand what games to expect?

When i mentioned the media i was reffering to more generic media, not websites like IGN.

I really have no idea what websites report about NDs, to be honest! I just watch the show and see some comments on video like the ones at IGN.

Oh, i too am expecting NDs to come before this media event. Would be weird for them to play during the morning and already started talking about it even before we see it.

Just hope they save something big for the actual day. A surprise! :)

They did mention multiple NDs, didn`t they?

#43 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

When i mentioned the media i was reffering to more generic media, not websites like IGN.
I really have no idea what websites report about NDs, to be honest! I just watch the show and see some comments on video like the ones at IGN.

Oh, i too am expecting NDs to come before this media event. Would be weird for them to play during the morning and already started talking about it even before we see it.
Just hope they save something big for the actual day. A surprise! :)
They did mention multiple NDs, didn`t they?

I'm not sure about multiple ones or not. I was expecting one long one. At this point I don't even know if Nintendo knows. I think Iwata didn't expect us to hear what was said on the earnings call when he mentioned this, which was an error. Oh well I guess lol.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#44 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

The less enthusiastic you are about your own product, less is the power to attract customers to it.

Sony, MS and Nintendo always made conferences because it`s the best way to sell their product and also to give fans a good time with big revelations. Of course, not always E3 will be great, but it`s always better than nothing.

Iwata made the decision because he had no consoles to show (his own words) and seeing as ND have such high ratings, there was no problem to not do the usual media keynote.

That's exactly it. It confirms what I was thinking. But it's not about actually being less enthusiastic, it's about not making useless efforts since they know they won't have anything to show. You gotta see the fact they're going to hold a smaller conference as a way to spend their effort more efficiently by having their own event at another time. This way, M$ and Sony will be killing each other while Nintendo will be sitting there and watching them fight to death.

Posted Image

#45 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

From the same press release:

"Beyond the news that will be communicated through Nintendo Direct videos in the run up to E3, at the show itself we're hosting two smaller events on Tuesday morning before the LACC opens instead of just our traditional one event," Nintendo said. "A media event and a partner presentation will both occur that morning," which is when the press conference would traditionally occur.

From NOA`s press release: "New this year at our booth in the LACC, prior to the show opening, we'll invite a small group of media to play our games".

The media event is not a conference, but only to let them play the games in advance.

#46 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm not sure about multiple ones or not. I was expecting one long one. At this point I don't even know if Nintendo knows. I think Iwata didn't expect us to hear what was said on the earnings call when he mentioned this, which was an error. Oh well I guess lol.

From routerbad`s post: "Beyond the news that will be communicated through Nintendo Direct videos in the run up to E3". There will be multiple NDs afterall.

That's exactly it. It confirms what I was thinking. But it's not about actually being less enthusiastic, it's about not making useless efforts since they know they won't have anything to show. You gotta see the fact they're going to hold a smaller conference as a way to spend their effort more efficiently by having their own event at another time. This way, M$ and Sony will be killing each other while Nintendo will be sitting there and watching them fight to death.

They always had conferences for just games. I don`t think that`s a big point now. And in terms of spending, they are still going to rent the place for the partners meeting and the media event.

From the same press release:

If you read Iwata`s comments, he also says that the media event is just to let this small group play games before the actual show begins.

#47 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

From routerbad`s post: "Beyond the news that will be communicated through Nintendo Direct videos in the run up to E3". There will be multiple NDs afterall.

They always had conferences for just games. I don`t think that`s a big point now. And in terms of spending, they are still going to rent the place for the partners meeting and the media event.

If you read Iwata`s comments, he also says that the media event is just to let this small group play games before the actual show begins.

I still expect a healthy amount of pomp and circumstance at the media gathering, along with live broadcasting to get media reactions.

#48 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

I still expect a healthy amount of pomp and circumstance at the media gathering, along with live broadcasting to get media reactions.

But it seems that is not the point. If it was, why cancel the E3 conference anyway?

Not that they can`t show vídeos of that - some sites will probably show - but, unless something changes, news will only come in the form of NDs (only thing confirmed so far).

#49 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

But it seems that is not the point. If it was, why cancel the E3 conference anyway?

Not that they can`t show vídeos of that - some sites will probably show - but, unless something changes, news will only come in the form of NDs (only thing confirmed so far).

I guess I'm reading "media presentation" differently than you are, because my take away was that it would be a livestreamed event, and that they didn't really "cancel" but repurposed their event strategy, rather than one event for both, two events.  One to drive home the message they want to make to investors, and one to showcase what they are offering.  I'm hoping Nintendo livestreams the media event, only time will tell.

#50 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Show me at least 107.5 Wii U games and I'm good ;)

#51 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

I guess I'm reading "media presentation" differently than you are, because my take away was that it would be a livestreamed event, and that they didn't really "cancel" but repurposed their event strategy, rather than one event for both, two events.  One to drive home the message they want to make to investors, and one to showcase what they are offering.  I'm hoping Nintendo livestreams the media event, only time will tell.

I wouldn`t mind them broadcasting the usual E3 conference, but this year, it`s not part of their plans. I`m curious to see if they will add anything to the NDs.

#52 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

I wouldn`t mind them broadcasting the usual E3 conference, but this year, it`s not part of their plans. I`m curious to see if they will add anything to the NDs.

The traditional, combined focus presentation is not in their plans, but the Media presentation will hopefully be broadcast.  We only know that the investor event will not be.

#53 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

The traditional, combined focus presentation is not in their plans, but the Media presentation will hopefully be broadcast.  We only know that the investor event will not be.

From Iwata himself: "We decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past."

If they intended to broadcast it there wouldn`t be so much talk about it. In the end, it would just be your normal presentation.

In sum, there won`t be a broadcast because Nintendo will not use that venue to give the news, so no reason to broadcast it like the usual conference. All that they would show would be people playing the games.

#54 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

From Iwata himself: "We decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past."

If they intended to broadcast it there wouldn`t be so much talk about it. In the end, it would just be your normal presentation.

In sum, there won`t be a broadcast because Nintendo will not use that venue to give the news, so no reason to broadcast it like the usual conference. All that they would show would be people playing the games.

I'm trying to get it across that they are still doing a conference, but it will only be targeted at the US (western market), and it will not include the investor relations information that typically accounts for 50% or more of the traditional conference, because that will be in a different conference, taking place at the same time.  Two smaller conferences is what they said, one for investors, one for media, although smaller, it should still serve as a decent enough pulpit to at least direct people where to get more news.

#55 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'm trying to get it across that they are still doing a conference, but it will only be targeted at the US (western market), and it will not include the investor relations information that typically accounts for 50% or more of the traditional conference, because that will be in a different conference, taking place at the same time.  Two smaller conferences is what they said, one for investors, one for media, although smaller, it should still serve as a decent enough pulpit to at least direct people where to get more news.

No, the media event is just to play the games and only that. If you read Iwata`s and NOA`s comments you will read exactly that.

That`s why, to me, the ND or NDs will come before the day of the events (both at the same time). Well, at least, those will show playable games that will also be at the media event.

This is exactly why there`s been so much fuss about the E3 conference cancelation.

#56 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

No, the media event is just to play the games and only that. If you read Iwata`s and NOA`s comments you will read exactly that.

That`s why, to me, the ND or NDs will come before the day of the events (both at the same time). Well, at least, those will show playable games that will also be at the media event.

This is exactly why there`s been so much fuss about the E3 conference cancelation.

There was never any indication that the media event would be closed doors, that was only mentioned for the partner event.  Which is why I think the media event will be livestreamed, and if not by Nintendo, you know the media outlets will be.

Lets hope this leads to some fascinating future revelations:

We are continuing to consider exciting new ways to bring the news of our games and information directly to the players at home during the E3 timeframe, and will have more to say about that at a later date.

#57 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

There was never any indication that the media event would be closed doors, that was only mentioned for the partner event.  Which is why I think the media event will be livestreamed, and if not by Nintendo, you know the media outlets will be.

Lets hope this leads to some fascinating future revelations:

We are continuing to consider exciting new ways to bring the news of our games and information directly to the players at home during the E3 timeframe, and will have more to say about that at a later date.

They never said they wouldn`t broadcast the media event, but they did indicate that they have chosen ND to deliver info and show the vídeos and they also said the meeting is to allow a small group of the media to play the games. Which leaves little room for it to become a place to deliver news and show stuff on vídeo.

My guess is that Nintendo or journalists there will broadcast something later, but that won`t be different than their usual E3 feed that we see every year.

Yeah, that`s the part that i am curious to see! Will they do something different at the ND or will they do something more? Really curious to know what it is!

#58 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

They never said they wouldn`t broadcast the media event, but they did indicate that they have chosen ND to deliver info and show the vídeos and they also said the meeting is to allow a small group of the media to play the games. Which leaves little room for it to become a place to deliver news and show stuff on vídeo.

My guess is that Nintendo or journalists there will broadcast something later, but that won`t be different than their usual E3 feed that we see every year.

Yeah, that`s the part that i am curious to see! Will they do something different at the ND or will they do something more? Really curious to know what it is!

I just really want to see a dramatic Retro reveal, and I think a media event where they are supposed to be there just to play some games would be the perfect place to bust out something epic.

#59 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

They did, but did they often have conferences when both their competitors showed a new console?
Posted Image

#60 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I just really want to see a dramatic Retro reveal, and I think a media event where they are supposed to be there just to play some games would be the perfect place to bust out something epic.

Exactly the point i tried to make: E3 delivers games in a great way... a BIG way. ND, no matter how great is, can`t do that. It`s like watching an action movie at home and watching at a movie theatre. E3 packs a punch, ND doesn`t!

Even if Retro shows a great game it would always have more impact if they did at E3.

They did, but did they often have conferences when both their competitors showed a new console?

As far as i can tell, no. But MS was part of E3 when Nintendo and Sony revealed Wii and PS3 at E3 in 2006. The same for Sony in 2001 (GC and Xbox), i believe.

The smaller the presence in situations like this, the worse for the one who does things without a bang.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!