Photo

Retro Studios's Game will be announcing real soon.

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Why are expectations so high for retro's game?

What game have they made since metroid 1 that has been better than the games we get from the likes of crytek?

I think they're competent, and the amount of new hires gives me a bit of hope for a good game, but I don't think they're the best company ever who make the best games ever like the rest of the Wii U fanbase seem to think judging from the Internet.

Well think of it this way.. They revived the Metroid series and innovated it in arguable the best games in the series. Although they've only made four games, (and helped out on Mario Kart 7) none of them have been a misstep. Great company.

#42 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

Well think of it this way.. They revived the Metroid series and innovated it in arguable the best games in the series. Although they've only made four games, (and helped out on Mario Kart 7) none of them have been a misstep. Great company.

They did nothing for donkey kong though.

While it's true nothing they've done has been mediocre, I think it's prudent to reign in my expectations of them.

If they were doing a series I loved, like Star Fox for instance, I'd be even more critical of them.

I'll wait to see/play the game until I say it's going to be or is good.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#43 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

They did nothing for donkey kong though.

While it's true nothing they've done has been mediocre, I think it's prudent to reign in my expectations of them.
If they were doing a series I loved, like Star Fox for instance, I'd be even more critical of them.
I'll wait to see/play the game until I say it's going to be or is good.

That's okay, just like it's okay for us to have our expectations set.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#44 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

That's okay, just like it's okay for us to have our expectations set.

Yeah it's okay.

I hope it's a good game, so I don't have to listen to "it" when it's released.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#45 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Why are expectations so high for retro's game?
What game have they made since metroid 1 that has been better than the games we get from the likes of crytek?

I think they're competent, and the amount of new hires gives me a bit of hope for a good game, but I don't think they're the best company ever who make the best games ever like the rest of the Wii U fanbase seem to think judging from the Internet.

Totally agree with you on this Sir. I think retro are great developers but we I think the overhype isn't necessary. Like all the Wii U fans are saying is wait for Retro they are going to show you that Wii U is next gen... What if they don't? What if they show a game that's well stylised and well designed game. But is It going to blow away Sony's the last of us? I'm not to sure.

#46 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Totally agree with you on this Sir. I think retro are great developers but we I think the overhype isn't necessary. Like all the Wii U fans are saying is wait for Retro they are going to show you that Wii U is next gen... What if they don't? What if they show a game that's well stylised and well designed game. But is It going to blow away Sony's the last of us? I'm not to sure.

The Last of Us is the best of last generation. According to my theory, which holds true for every generation usually, about a year after launch is when developers can start releasing games truly made for next gen. So, I expect to see graphics better than anything we have seen thus far. Which, btw, AC3 also pushed the limits of last Gen. And that game, with identical graphics, was on Wii U.

So ... We'll see.

#47 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

TBH I don't think it's MP4. Metroid, sure, but the trilogy ended.
No sig.

#48 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

The Last of Us is the best of last generation. According to my theory, which holds true for every generation usually, about a year after launch is when developers can start releasing games truly made for next gen. So, I expect to see graphics better than anything we have seen thus far. Which, btw, AC3 also pushed the limits of last Gen. And that game, with identical graphics, was on Wii U.

So ... We'll see.

Percepption is reality for a lot of gamers. I know they get a lot of hate but they are just reacting to what they SEE. If they don't see graphics that surpass the best of what PS3 will offer at E3 forget PS4 than the wii u underpowered last gen stigma will continue. So yes we shall see

#49 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Percepption is reality for a lot of gamers. I know they get a lot of hate but they are just reacting to what they SEE. If they don't see graphics that surpass the best of what PS3 will offer at E3 forget PS4 than the wii u underpowered last gen stigma will continue. So yes we shall see

I know what some people are doing. They go by what they SEE. I saw the same with the Xbox 360 when everyone said Perfect Dark Zero looked "last generation". Then Gears of Wars came out a year later, and perception changed.

Again, this is not denying anything you or anyone is saying. I use logic on what has happened in the past, while most gamers go by what they see. Neither way is wrong.

TBH I don't think it's MP4. Metroid, sure, but the trilogy ended.

I think that's what everyone means. Another Metroid game.

However, I want them to do something original.

#50 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

That's on top of the 30 minute games talk.

His last post was him checking in to say that they were working on getting the ND's filmed and edited, and gearing up for the next couple of weeks.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the information that was leaked there was the same information that the CVG editor saw when he posted something along the lines of "what Nintendo have in store will bury me at the bottom of the list of discredited Wii U detractors"

Now that you mention it, those two might be connected!

By the way, saw that Zelda gif you mentioned. Pretty cool!

#51 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Now that you mention it, those two might be connected!

By the way, saw that Zelda gif you mentioned. Pretty cool!

Keep an eye on that thread as well, hes been coming back to it on occasion.

#52 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Keep an eye on that thread as well, hes been coming back to it on occasion.

Thanks. I`ll keep an eye once in a while.

#53 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

I am really keen for a new F-Zero game and I think Retro would be perfect for it. However I think that will stay as simply a dream.

#54 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

So basically it's going to get announced at E3 in 29 days. Im predicting Metroid Prime 4. 

#55 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

So basically it's going to get announced at E3 in 29 days. Im predicting Metroid Prime 4.

That's the most likely choice.

#56 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

That's the most likely choice.

It may be Metroid, but I doubt it would be Prime. Still could end up being a new IP

#57 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

It may be Metroid, but I doubt it would be Prime. Still could end up being a new IP

I want a new IP ^_^

#58 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Looks like they've locked the 100YOG thread on IGN boards.  It ended with another long post from 100YOG.  I would like to point out that this could all very well be someone trolling, but he went into detail where it mattered, and if what he's said does end up being the case, it will be a monster e3 for Nintendo.

#59 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

People really need to quit ridding Prime's wiimote. The first one was really damn good, but the games tended to go down in quality with each sequel. It's obvious that Retro was running low on ideas by the time Prime 3 came out so it's better to just leave the trilogy as is and let them move on to something else. Retro doesn't need to become the 'metroid' studio. 

Personally I would rather see them take on a brand new IP of their own design and choosing as long as it's something unique and hasn't been done a million times over (FPS/TPS). People always talk crap about how Nintendo doesn't ever make anything new, so Retro could change that. If they are just picking up a different Nintendo IP though, I'd like it to be Starfox. The series has too much potential for awesomeness in HD for it to be cast aside, and I think Retro could push the art style, graphics, and scale to something truly amazing.

pNgecl.gif

#60 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Azure-Edge, on 13 May 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:People really need to quit ridding Prime's wiimote. The first one was really damn good, but the games tended to go down in quality with each sequel. It's obvious that Retro was running low on ideas by the time Prime 3 came out so it's better to just leave the trilogy as is and let them move on to something else. Retro doesn't need to become the 'metroid' studio. Personally I would rather see them take on a brand new IP of their own design and choosing as long as it's something unique and hasn't been done a million times over (FPS/TPS). People always talk crap about how Nintendo doesn't ever make anything new, so Retro could change that. If they are just picking up a different Nintendo IP though, I'd like it to be Starfox. The series has too much potential for awesomeness in HD for it to be cast aside, and I think Retro could push the art style, graphics, and scale to something truly amazing.

Actually the main reason for primes gradual decline with each release left the company.

Retro NEVER really had any idea what they were doing. We all know this, we all know how miyamoto called all their projects garbage, and canceled them. Then put them on metroid prime with heavy, HEAVY direction from Nintendo.

Then after prime was a success, nintendo began giving directorial duties to retros newly appointed lead director. Who began to put his vision of metroid into effect.

I didnt like it. And apparantly neither did you.

But it wasnt retro running out of ideas. It was a different person in charge of ideas. Different ideas.

Well, those guys all left. Now Retro is back to its best state. An incredibly talented group, under the immediate guidence and direction of nintendo again (metroid prime), NOT mark pacini (echoes and corruption).

Even mark pacini HIMSELF admits he brought echoes and corruption down from what nintendo had them do with prime.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!