is nintendo being cheap?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

ok is nintendo being cheap? we saw it with the Wii and it worked in their favor but not mine. i think they could have put just a little more horsepower into the Wii. I understand in reference to the competition nintendo is only a gaming company. microsoft and sony are global electronic companies and they have a higher budget i would think? but seriously the fact that the WiiU wont be able to play dvds to me is ludicrous. they say oh people have dvd players already so they dont need one in a console. every person i know that has a PS3 and 360 use their dvd player included. seriously how much could it cost to include this feature in the Wii U? also even though we dont have offical specs on WiiU. do you guys feel from what we think we know that nintendo has put enough tech into the WiiU for a console launching in 2012?

#2 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:45 AM

It dosnt bother me it has no dvd player inside. I dont think there being cheap. As with the power no one will now till we c a real game. I just remember seeing perfect dark on 360 wen it first come out and i didnt think much to it. But wen i saw a wii demo at eb games. I was very VERY disapointed !!!

#3 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:02 AM

Nintendo aren't really being cheap. I mean most people who will be buying the Wii U will have HD TVs (to take advantage of the console) and I'm sure those people would've upgraded from video to DVD ages ago. I buy my gaming consoles to play games, the most important thing for me is that the games look good and play well.

#4 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:12 AM

To be honest, the lack of a DVD player on the Wii U doesn't bother me. If I get one, I'll be getting it to play games one. From what we've seen so far, the Wii U has plenty of tech to provide gamers with a great gaming experience. Most people have a DVD player, so while some people may be disappointed that the Wii U doesn't include one, I don't see it having a big effect on sales.

#5 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

Like AMAC, I buy game consoles to play games. I already have a DVD player built in to my TV, plus two DVD players elsewhere. My PS3 has Blu ray covered (family hasn't been able to afford a dedicated Blu ray player yet). As for power, if that Zelda tech demo is any indication, we should be fine.
Posted Image

#6 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

just so you guys aren't confused. i dont have a problem with the exclusion of dvd playback it just seems weird. the frecking ps2 could play dvds 2 gens ago. nintedno says licensing fees would be too much. it just seems weird... just wondering what you guys thought

Edited by TRON, 15 August 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#7 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:18 AM

just so you guys aren't confused. i dont have a problem with the exclusion of dvd playback it just seems weird. the frecking ps2 could play dvds 2 gens ago. nintedno says licensing fees would be too much. it just seems weird... just wondering what you guys thought

It's not weird at all, I don't know why you'd think that. With the PS2 it was just one of those convenient slap-on features that consoles sometimes have - and I'm sure it didn't cost Sony much since they're already an electronics company, for Nintendo it's a different matter.

#8 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

I simply don't care. As long as the with Wii U stays affordable I'll be satisfied with it. DVD and/or Blu-Ray playback isn't really necessary for a Game Console. It would just make it more expensive.

Edited by Arkhandar, 15 August 2011 - 02:33 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#9 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:19 AM

I don't want it to be able to play DVDs as that will take away from development time that could be used for other stuff and it takes up space in the hardware that could be utilized by other things.

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Honestly, are people still fussing about something as stupid as this? Most people HAVE a DVD player already. It's an unnecessary expense. I actually applaud Nintendo for not putting a DVD player in it, and keeping the cost of the GAMING SYSTEM that I buy for GAMING down. If you don't have a DVD player, go and shell out $20 for one at walmart, ya cheapie...

tl;dr: Get over it. No DVD Player = Cheaper System. Chances are you have a DVD player already.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#11 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

it's true that the current trend seems to be devices that can "do it all" - and that makes sense to me. It feels clunky to have to fire up a desktop computer when my ipad can really do most of what I want on a regular basis. I think that Nintendo is right about the cost/benefit not being in their favor (with features such as DVD playback), but the perceived lack of functionality could really hurt them if they don't completely fill the niche of what their product CAN do. When you have products on the market that can functionally serve as total media hubs, it's starting to look clunky to have a console that just "console"s. I think that Nintendo will have to take full advantage of web/bluetooth/streaming functionality with this console... because people have just come to expect a lot of options from their electronic devices.

#12 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

Nintendo has a netflix channel, so that counts for something. Instead of physical DVDs, they did the future of streaming. But my TV sucks, so I watch all my movies on my computer.
It's true, nintendo would have to pay for the licensing fees, but it's only a gaming company.

Edited by Pyro, 15 August 2011 - 08:31 AM.

#13 Neoxon

Neoxon

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Eh, many people already have a DVD player, so it's no big deal. Besides, if it means a lower price tag, then I don't see the problem.

#14 Metroid

Metroid

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

I'm playing games on my home console. If Wii U doesn't doesn't have a built-in DVD Player to watch media with, it won't really bother me. When I buy the Wii U, I just want to play on it. If I need a DVD Player, I'd go and buy one.

But that's only me. Stuff like that isn't really a much of a problem for me. But it would make many gamers happy to have a that feature. And the Wii U price would also increase.

Edited by Metroid, 15 August 2011 - 01:47 PM.

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'm playing games on my home console. If Wii U doesn't doesn't have a built-in DVD Player to watch media with, it won't really bother me. I bought the Wii U to play with. If I need a DVD Player, I'd go and buy one.

But that's only me. Stuff like that isn't really a much of a problem for me. But it would make many gamers happy to have a that feature. And the Wii U price would also increase.

That's really just the whole problem with this. If it had a DVD player, it'd make the price rise unecessarily. (fail spelling, I know. >.<)

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#16 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

That's really just the whole problem with this. If it had a DVD player, it'd make the price rise unecessarily. (fail spelling, I know. >.<)

True. The Wii U will probably be expensive enough with the controller. The last thing Nintendo would want to do would be to make it more expensive unnecessarily.

#17 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

I'm playing games on my home console. If Wii U doesn't doesn't have a built-in DVD Player to watch media with, it won't really bother me. I bought the Wii U to play with. If I need a DVD Player, I'd go and buy one.

You bought the Wii U already! It's in stores! I gotta go to Game Stop!
Posted Image

#18 Metroid

Metroid

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

You bought the Wii U already! It's in stores! I gotta go to Game Stop!

Fix'd my message :P
But I know you were joking. And how I've typed, I would also think that I've bought the Wii U. :laugh:
Sorry people, but I haven't bought the Wii U... yet.

#19 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

To be honest, the lack of a DVD player on the Wii U doesn't bother me. If I get one, I'll be getting it to play games one. From what we've seen so far, the Wii U has plenty of tech to provide gamers with a great gaming experience. Most people have a DVD player, so while some people may be disappointed that the Wii U doesn't include one, I don't see it having a big effect on sales.

This. Do you really JUST care for the DVD player? Then buy a separate one. Problem solved.

I'm playing games on my home console. If Wii U doesn't doesn't have a built-in DVD Player to watch media with, it won't really bother me. When I buy the Wii U, I just want to play on it. If I need a DVD Player, I'd go and buy one.

Fixed.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#20 kaioslive09

kaioslive09

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything nintendo related

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

WiiU+no DVD BlueRayPlayBack=PWN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!