Photo

Super Mario U: Open World vs. Linear

Sauper Mario U Super Mario Wii U Mario U 3D Super Mario Bros. 3D Super Mario Land U

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Super Mario U: Open World vs. Linear (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mario's first 3D game on Wii U be open world (SM64 or Sunshine) or Linear (Galaxy or 3D Land)?

1. Linear (Galaxy or 3D Land) (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

2. Open World-ish (SM64 or Sunshine) (30 votes [78.95%])

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

3. Totally Open World (Skyrim or Fallout) (7 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

Which style would be the best for Mario's Wii U/HD debut?

My personal preference would be in the open world style of Sunshine but with slightly larger levels and a hub world probably double the size. Nintendo's mario games look absolutely amazing and exploration is one of the best parts of their games, however, the exploration was extremely limited in Galaxy, it was a little better in 3D land but still not great. I would love to see something more along the lines of Sunshine.

On a side note I would also love HD remakes of both SM64 and Sunshine.

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Despite Mario Galaxy being good, I would prefer open world.

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

Better in 3D land? it was worse, you literally had to go from point A to point B
Galaxy you had a choice to go the hungry luma way or normal way... less linear
Galaxy 2 same as galaxy 1
Super mario sunshine was more open world, you had the main town to walk around to get to different areas and could even do stuff there. then the worlds were more open
Super mario 64 you could do whatever the hell you want, want to get the last star in the world first? Sure go ahead!, Want to kill the boss asap and skip the stars before the boss! go ahead he's over in that cave.

Galaxy 1, 2 and 3D land are Good games, but they're crap COMPARED  to sunsine and super mario 64 due to it being point A to point B. I Don't have high hopes for this game due to it being developed by the same people who made galaxy 1, 2 and 3D land. It's going to be another linear game, 

I have no idea how mario can work in a COMPLETELY Open world, It could, but my brain isn't working right now :s

Edited by Chrop, 11 May 2013 - 04:29 AM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

It's a platformer.
Keep it Linear.

Better in 3D land? it was worse, you literally had to go from point A to point B

Galaxy 1, 2 and 3D land are Good games, but they're crap COMPARED  to sunsine and super mario 64 due to it being point A to point B. I Don't have high hopes for this game due to it being developed by the same people who made galaxy 1, 2 and 3D land. It's going to be another linear game,

That's because 3dland wasn't a 3D mario game, it was 2D with stereoscopic elements.

I wouldn't call them crap compared to anything.

Galaxy wasn't a to b, it was a to b or c in most levels, sm64 was a to b inside levels.

The hubs are what you're talking about.

If you have enough stars galaxy is pretty open.

Edited by Nollog, 11 May 2013 - 04:40 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

voted open. mostly because all the recent ones are linear. a true open world mario... i can see it but i dont think it would be as good. granit the galaxies were good games, but i dont want to repeat that playstyle. and did like being able to  o whatever you want.

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

I hate the linear mario games, I think galaxy 1 and 2 are some of the worst games nintendo has made. Try ruined mario for me. If they do make a game in the world style of 64, like a 3D Mario should be, then I might consider buying it. Galaxy had a bunch of tiny linear levels, I would like it to be like 64, with maybe 30 HUGE levels and a Massive hub world (maybe toad town and surrounding areas, and the worlds are special locations within the mushroom kingdom) But I don't have high hopes for the new game, considering the same team that made the galaxies is also making this one :(

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

I want a total open world.... Where I can go and do everything put that 25GB to good use.

#8 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

As much as I love the galaxies, I would go with totally open world... I 100% HATED Super mario 3D land with all it's linear crap.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#9 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

A game is more enjoyed when you can make your own choices. I'd say go back to Sunshine style.

2lvmghw.png

#10 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

open world, all days a week!

28gxdv8.png

#11 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

That's because 3dland wasn't a 3D mario game, it was 2D with stereoscopic elements.

I wouldn't call them crap compared to anything.

Galaxy wasn't a to b, it was a to b or c in most levels, sm64 was a to b inside levels.

The hubs are what you're talking about.

If you have enough stars galaxy is pretty open.

1.If you can move though the X, Y AND Z Axis though out the entire game, it's a 3D game.

2. Meh, people have different opinions.  

3. Like I just said, "Galaxy you had a choice to go the hungry luma way or normal way... less linear" start being point A, Normal way being point B and hungry Luma being point C. 

4. Thanks

5. The galaxy? or do you mean the observatory, if so i guess you're right, but you can't really do much there, gain a few 1 ups and thats about it, with sunshine you can collect shines there, do side quests etc, 

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

I meant galaxy the game.

I haven't finished 2 but in 1 if you get all the stars in the first observatory you can go to like the next 2 or 3 observatories as you wish.

I might just be using the word observatory because you said it, but in normal mario terms they'd be the worlds which have like 4 or 5 levels in it.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was 3D then, in 1-3.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I want a 3d multiplayer open world mario. Make Peach, Luigi, bowser all playable.

#14 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I want it to be open like sunshine. Isle Delfino was far more interesting than exploring a bunch of similar and disconnected worlds. I liked galaxy and 3d land, but I've got enough of linear mario for now. 

Posted Imageby cerberuz

#15 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

I meant galaxy the game.

I haven't finished 2 but in 1 if you get all the stars in the first observatory you can go to like the next 2 or 3 observatories as you wish.

I might just be using the word observatory because you said it, but in normal mario terms they'd be the worlds which have like 4 or 5 levels in it.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was 3D then, in 1-3.

No I mean the entire hub (the place rosalina is in) is called *The Comet Observatory* you go into domes to get into the different worlds. 

When I said the game is linear i mean the actual levels themselves, there is only 1 or 2 stars you are even allowed to do in each level, In super mario 64 some levels let you get Any stars in that level in any order you want.

And no, Super Mario Bros 3 was a 2D game, you can't walk in the Z axis at all, i have no idea what you're trying to talk about when you say world 1-3, that level, like the entire game, is 2d. New Super mario Bros U is a 2D game because you can only go in the X and Y axis but it has 3D graphics. Super Mario 3D Land is a 3D game because you can walk in the X, Y and Z axis and you do it quite often.

#16 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Option 3 is actually really intetesting. I'm open for a new structure.
No sig.

#17 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

It's hard for me to say.  There was really only one SM64, and Nintendo may never be able to capture that same style again.  Linear Mario games are fun and so are the openish world ones.

As long as nintendo tries and makes a good game as opposed to a formulaic mario game, I would probably enjoy it.

#18 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

I prefer mostly linear with some open world. The problem I have with too much open world, I want to do everything at once and don't know where to start. I liked SMG's style.

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

No I mean the entire hub (the place rosalina is in) is called *The Comet Observatory* you go into domes to get into the different worlds. 

When I said the game is linear i mean the actual levels themselves, there is only 1 or 2 stars you are even allowed to do in each level, In super mario 64 some levels let you get Any stars in that level in any order you want.

And no, Super Mario Bros 3 was a 2D game, you can't walk in the Z axis at all, i have no idea what you're trying to talk about when you say world 1-3, that level, like the entire game, is 2d. New Super mario Bros U is a 2D game because you can only go in the X and Y axis but it has 3D graphics. Super Mario 3D Land is a 3D game because you can walk in the X, Y and Z axis and you do it quite often.

I didn't say what you meant, I was just explaining how I was using the word "observatory".

In that level you go behind a platform to get a key. XYZ axis travelling confirmed. 3D game confirmed.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#20 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

I didn't say what you meant, I was just explaining how I was using the word "observatory".

In that level you go behind a platform to get a key. XYZ axis travelling confirmed. 3D game confirmed.

Thats not 3D... That is not the Z axis... Thats just standing behind something thats in the foreground which can also be stood on. Before i even say anything else do you even know what the Z axis is... Seriously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!