Photo

Xbox One unveiled... Diminishing returns?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2013/05/20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-015-660x440.jpg

Naked!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#42 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

If they show games during E3 this will be good.

#43 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Image from Paul Thurrott via Twitter. Looks like its at least backwards compatible with VHS.

Attached Thumbnails

• paulthurrottxboxone.jpg

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#44 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Eh, thats a pretty old rumour man, and one that looks to be seriously sq
uashed if not aalready and long ago. In fact... ms didnt really say much of anything about specs... It was eerily..... Nintendo like of them.

We know it has a soc with an 8 core jaguar cpu, 8Gb ddr3, 25Mb embedded ram on gpu (color me surprised, strike up one point for wii u) and 3 freaking operating systems (wtf really?).... And a power draw of less than 100 watts. barely more than 360/ps3 slim.... And thats it.

Erm:

The APU burns at up to 100W, which is actually more than the latest iterations of the Xbox 360 Slim or PS3. Moreover, transistor size has been reduced to 28nm, which means that the performance per watt will also increase relative to the 45nm processors of the last generation. Comparisons to any existing AMD APUs in desktop PCs are rendered moot by the fact that there are an unusual number of transistors all working together in the Xbox system (around 5 billion) and, unlike the sprawl of a regular Windows desktop, they're honed and focused on very specific tasks.

The way memory is used in the new console is also fundamentally different and hard to predict. In addition to a 32MB cache of high-bandwidth embedded SRAM (versus 10MB of EDRAM in the 360), the CPU and GPU both share the same block of 8GB DDR3 memory and they do so in an interesting way, with no need to copy data that is shared between the two components. This could potentially improve performance relative to a traditional system, such as a gaming PC, that has a discrete GPU and a traditional architecture that moves data in a more convoluted manner.

So no not a power draw of 100W, that is for the APU alone which is useful to know as that does not include the Bluray drive, HDD, USB ports, Kinect, etc.

I do fear you were correct about wasting RAM though.  I would not be surprised if this time around PS4 has a much lower OS overhead than Xbox One.  PS4 seems to be focusing on games, whereas Xbox One needs a lot of stuff to be permanently in RAM to keep that fast task switching working.  What the PS4 was shown doing was much simpler and much lower overheads IMO.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#45 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Frankly the fifa and the cod game they showed did not see a bump in graphics i would have hoped for. Seems to me what 3Dude said was right, the wii u will be able to do everything the next consoles can, just to a lesser extent since it supports dx11 like effects and tessellation.

Wait, 3Dude, Routerbad and myself are actually being believed?

I think the world just ended.

I agree. Nintendo and Sony seem to be the most interested in games, Microsoft is trying to expand the userbase through massive media integration and accessibility.

Microsoft is trying to realize their dream of Windows controlling everything in your life. The Xbox TWO (LOL if that is it's name 6 years from now) will be integrated into your home I bet.

Yeah, no. You can blame shrewd business practice on EPIC's part. They just finished porting UE3 to Wii U, there is no reason to port UE4, especially considering it has basically the exact same feature set sans the workflow, when they can let someone else do it, which will most likely be happening.

I think it will be REALLY funny if it comes out that Retro or Nintendo or any developer gets Unreal 4 up and running, and shows a game looking better then what EPIC has shown. I want that so bad. LOL.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#46 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

Agreed- unless we start seeing holograms or even 3d type stuff, the graphics are fine on Wii U.  IMO, if somebody is getting all riled up over graphics and clock speed, they need to get a life.

I personally don't care about graphics. So either I have to bring a microscope out to see the little changes in graphics, or nothing has changed at all. I don't follow console specs either, but I would imagine that all 3 are roughly the same. Each with their ups and downs. 

As for the console itself, it looks cool. So does the controller, slightly reminds me of the OUYA controller for some reason. But none of the games interested me. Just a bunch of currently confirmed EA, Ubisoft, and Activision games we all knew were gonna be released on it. Microsoft has never interested me because most of their first party games are just shooters. Plus One will probably have the same 3rd party support at the PS4, give or take a small amount of games. All Microsoft needs to sell me on a One is Banjo Threeie. Or some other big game that's not a shooter.

I'm not on board with the "pay to play used games" idea, even though it is better than no used games at all. But there's the thing. Considering most used games retail for about $5-$10 less (if they're a recent release, older releases vary), Microsoft could very well make this the price range for playing used games. Making the idea of playing something used, practically pointless. With the exception of out of print games. Shame to see it's not offering backwards compatibility. As if I were to get a One, I'd like to try some of the games I missed out on the 360. Seems that Nintendo is the only one with backwards compatibility this gen. Great to see that DRM isn't required. But I wouldn't be surprised if EA or other devs include it in their games.

Annoying to see that EA is making a partnership with Microsoft, after unjustifiably breaking their tie with Nintendo. Just goes to show that EA will always go for the "popular bro gamer" consoles. I'm not saying all gamers that game on those consoles are like that, but a large amount of them are. I'd love to see EA's reaction if the One has bad launch sales (probably not, due to it's popularity), and continues to support it. Just to show their hypocrisy and bias against Nintendo.

#47 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Just makes me love my Wii U more, honestly I'm not worried about Xbox One cos' it looks horrible and hardly even seems like a gaming device and PS4 I'm considering getting so.

#48 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

It will be interesting to see what its launch numbers look like.  IMO, it's biggest competitor might be those still getting use out of their current system. 

Just makes me love my Wii U more, honestly I'm not worried about Xbox One cos' it looks horrible and hardly even seems like a gaming device and PS4 I'm considering getting so.

#49 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Xbox fanboy - " Well the Xbox One has 8 gigs of Ram "
Nintendo fanboy - " The Wii U only runs one OS "
Xbox fanboy - " Well we can run 3! "
Nintendo fanboy - "derp"

So if Xbox uses 2GB per OS.. that leaves 2 for games which is barely better than Wii U.
No sig.

#50 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Diminishing returns.

But still a tremendous leap.

And the poly counts seemed consistently higher than what's been shown in ps4 up to this point.

It appears that Xbox is very very easy to pull top performance from. A well thought out architecture. (As in nintendoesque).

But some business moves will dent its potential.

E3 is going to be interesting.

Nintendo has a couple games ready that they need to show soon. I'm guessing it happens right before e3.

The ps4 is ok. But the One is a threat.

With the gaikai mess and expensive/unproven ram setup, Sony may actually paint themselves into a ps3 situation again.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 21 May 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#51 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Just got done watching the reviel. I can't say anything about gfx BC I watched it on my tablet, but it seems to me that its the same as the wiius from the little if read on this thread. The interface seem pretty cool acualy tho needing a phone or tablet to do the multitasking seem annoying, but it seems to perform nicely and fluidly. I'm still unsure how the power difference between the wiiu and the other two will affect the third parties. Little worried about that but I still say that the game pad will offer the best in game play experience. Would be nice to have a bluray player and a mediaplayer. I do actually like the interface of the next Xbox tho. Would be cool if the wii u had that something like that with the game pad features. But I'm still rooting for the wiiu. Go nintendo! :)

#52 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Yuk, so why do 360 owners need to spend another shed load of dosh to upgrade? yeah the faces looked better but i don't think it will be a purchase for the masses.

Wiiu will do just fine now we have seen the Xbox one.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#53 Repsys7

Repsys7

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

Xbox One reveal just shows that Wii U has AT LEAST 2nd place sewn up.

#54 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

Xbox One reveal just shows that Wii U has AT LEAST 2nd place sewn up.

Dont underestimate Americans ^^ A lot of them will buy xbox just because it's xbox. Just like a lot of Japanese will buy Nintendo and Sony just because they're Nintendo and Sony.

#55 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Dont underestimate Americans ^^ A lot of them will buy xbox just because it's xbox. Just like a lot of Japanese will buy Nintendo and Sony just because they're Nintendo and Sony.

Unfortunately you are right.  Though Nintendo has done well for itself in the US as well when they have great software to show (3DS)

#56 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Erm:

So no not a power draw of 100W, that is for the APU alone which is useful to know as that does not include the Bluray drive, HDD, USB ports, Kinect, etc.

I do fear you were correct about wasting RAM though.  I would not be surprised if this time around PS4 has a much lower OS overhead than Xbox One.  PS4 seems to be focusing on games, whereas Xbox One needs a lot of stuff to be permanently in RAM to keep that fast task switching working.  What the PS4 was shown doing was much simpler and much lower overheads IMO.

A Lot of that could be false info. Which isnt surprising as reported info was all over the the place initially. its on a 40nm process, only ps4 has a 28nm process.

Also, the soc is all that really matters. its a system on a chip. I dont care about the vcr player, the rights remover, kinect, usb, or anything else not game related.

the process size and 3Gb of ram for the os's is confirmed by ms themselves.... So its more likely to be legit....

Then again, ms also had to clarify several specifications they had stated incorrectly themselves so.... maybe not. The dust will clear soon enough.

Edited by 3Dude, 22 May 2013 - 10:39 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#57 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

The COD footage definately looked like a couple steps above 360 graphics, and it will be in 1080p, but yea, overall the Wii U should be comparable even though its in 720p. 

#58 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

No way the xbox one is on a 40nm process for its main amd apu. The older PC amd apu's were already on a 32nm process from over a year ago and the newer jaguar based apu's are on 28nm and they will hit the market before ps4 and xbox one anyway. 28nm is not that impressive and quite low cost now. Intel are on 22nm even with a built in basic gpu.

Dirt cheap android tablet chips have moved on from 40nm to 28nm;

http://en.wikipedia....p#RK31xx_series

and they are dirt cheap often with the chips selling sub $10 in high volumes.

#59 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

No way the xbox one is on a 40nm process for its main amd apu. The older PC amd apu's were already on a 32nm process from over a year ago and the newer jaguar based apu's are on 28nm and they will hit the market before ps4 and xbox one anyway. 28nm is not that impressive and quite low cost now. Intel are on 22nm even with a built in basic gpu.

Process cost is just one part of the overall cost of a chip.

#60 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Tell that to wired and ms twitter. No, seriously it could be a mistake, the disemination of information throughout this ordeal has been horrible, and ms themselves has been the cause of many of them.

I dont really care either way, the process size is the least of this systems massive problems.

It gets crushed by ps4, like destroyed, reports of huge disparities are already coming in, and the systems are near identical architecture wise, its disgustingly gigantic, hot, ugly, and forces the worst mandatory policies in gaming history.

this things one great big screw up.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!