#1 dustinb12

dustinb12

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    CM Punk, Zelda, Mario, Batman, ECW

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

ive been looking over old posts for an answer and really can't find the ones i need so here goes..

im starting to download lots of VC titles for my wii u and im looking to back up the purchases, i have a 500 GB Toshiba HD, not powered. just usb cable coming out

1. will it work with my wii u

2. will it cause problems

3. does it have to be left plugged in at all times (i don't like this much)

4. are the games just copied to it, or are they moved to it and run off of it 

5. are the games backed up automatically or do i have to tell the wii u to do it

thanks from a Nintendo Power/tech knowledge deprived fellow

Save the Deku trees!

#2 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

ive been looking over old posts for an answer and really can't find the ones i need so here goes..

im starting to download lots of VC titles for my wii u and im looking to back up the purchases, i have a 500 GB Toshiba HD, not powered. just usb cable coming out

5. are the games backed up automatically or do i have to tell the wii u to do it

buy a  usb y splitter to be sure, then it should

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

Yes it'll work.

No.

Yes.

They run off it.

There is no backing up. Games and other data will just be stored there, like it would normally store them in system memory. The hard drive is locked to your console.

A y-cable would be wise.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

You can only be guaranteed compatibility if it's on Nintendo's list.  I tried using my PNY usb drive and it kept freezing during data transfers, but my WD MyBook external hdd works fine.  

What is a Y Cable??

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

USB3-y-cable.jpg

A Y - cable is designed to connect to two USB ports at the same time, in order to increase the voltage sent to the device. You want to make sure you get one that has the right B-side connector.

1. It will work with your Wii U, but if it's not powered it will most likely need a Y cable

2. Not really, the system will function as normally

3. It doesn't need to be plugged it all the time. But it can't be plugged in or removed when the Wii U is on. Also game saves default to saving to the external, so whenever you start a new game you have to move the game save to internal memory (not hard to do)

4. the games run directly off of it, at least as far as I can tell. Way better than how the first Wii does it.

5. there games are not backed up. it is possible to connect a second external drive and copy (not move) the games however.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 dustinb12

dustinb12

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

thanks gang. it makes since now. evidently this is why the 3DS came with an sd card. i appreciate the help but one more question:

if the hd goes bad, do i lose my games?

Save the Deku trees!

#7 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

thanks gang. it makes since now. evidently this is why the 3DS came with an sd card. i appreciate the help but one more question:

if the hd goes bad, do i lose my games?

I think you still have the ability to download the games again, but only using the console on which they were originally purchased

Would a Y cable be able to replace the A/C adapter for an external HDD that normally needs one for power??

Edited by kokirii, 23 May 2013 - 04:19 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#8 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Would a Y cable be able to replace the A/C adapter for an external HDD that normally needs one for power??

No, full sized hard drives use a lot more power than laptop sized ones which come in self-powered units.

Downloads run quicker if you use an external HDD of any kind though, internal memory is slow.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#9 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

I run a usb 3.0 compatible 500GB Hitachi hdd, running off a usb 2.0 Y cable. Been working great for ages. 

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#10 OldmanWii

OldmanWii

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Here is my problem. I have a random 300GB Samsung SATA HDD plugged into a Thermaltake BlacX Duet ST0014U Docking Station  which is externally powered and USB 2.0. 

Here is my problem: The console keeps dropping the USB storage and I have to move the connector around and power the console on and off for it to detect the HDD. Sometimes I don't even have to power the unit off. I obviously got this for more game storage and I put my son's Lego game on here and every time he wants to play it we have to go through this. 

I don't want to buy a new external drive because this one definitely meets the requirements, but there might be something I'm missing. Any input you guys may have would be greatly appreciated!!!

#11 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

it might work, the best thing to do is try your HD with your WiiU when you get it, if the HD doesn't work then just get a USB Y lead, they are only a few pounds/dollars on ebay/amazon

It might work, the best thing to do is try your HD with your WiiU when you get it, if the HD doesn't work then just get a USB Y lead, they are only a few pounds/dollars on ebay/amazon.

When you turn on your WiiU the HD will turn on as well automatically.

Here is my problem. I have a random 300GB Samsung SATA HDD plugged into a Thermaltake BlacX Duet ST0014U Docking Station  which is externally powered and USB 2.0. 

Here is my problem: The console keeps dropping the USB storage and I have to move the connector around and power the console on and off for it to detect the HDD. Sometimes I don't even have to power the unit off. I obviously got this for more game storage and I put my son's Lego game on here and every time he wants to play it we have to go through this. 

I don't want to buy a new external drive because this one definitely meets the requirements, but there might be something I'm missing. Any input you guys may have would be greatly appreciated!!!

It could be a issue with the docking station maybe, or it could be a data transfer issue, i have a docking station myself but i only use it for old HD's from my PC's, i wouldn't use a set-up like this all the time, i have one of these http://goo.gl/93IER WD passport HD's connected perminatly with a USB Y lead to my WiiU & have never had any problems.

#12 dustinb12

dustinb12

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

wow. while doing a little research on purchasing said y cable, i stumbled across Nintendo's website, i had no idea i couldn't just hook up my hd i've been using to backup pics and music from my mac. according to nintendos website, while formatting the device, everything on it would be erased. looks like i'll be buying a new one for this project. btw, how many different types of y cables are there? im confusing myself

Save the Deku trees!

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

There should be one for each usb b connector. So Microusb B (used in cellphones) Miniusb B (not so common) Microusb 3.0 B (used ln the latest hard drives) maybe usb B (used in printers) and I have a hard drive that uses usb A 3.0 (same connector on both ends)

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#14 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

In general the most common Y cable is mini usb to 2 full sized 2.0 ports.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!