Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

The Xbox One's Kinect microphone is always listening and waiting for specific commands, Microsoft's hardware program manager John Link told Polygon today.

Microsoft revealed today that Xbox One will support commands native commands for powering the console on and off. Xbox 360 Kinect users can power off the console by using voice commands to navigate the menus, but not power on their consoles with the device.

In response to a question about whether that functionality means that Kinect is always on, Link said that Kinect is always listening, but in a limited capacity. It also helps ensure developers can count on the peripheral, he said.

"The Kinect has a variety of settings," he said. "You know, it's always available to the system, so ... you can count, as an application developer or a game developer, [that] everyone's going to have a Kinect. You always have that stream available. And then, you know, there are settings, obviously, in the console to be able to change the settings of how your Kinect is used, if you're interested."

The always-on functionality even when the console is powered down comes courtesy of "multiple power states," he said. At its lowest setting, which Microsoft refers to as "wake on voice," the peripheral is "listening" for specific commands.

The Kinect will "be just listening enough to know that, 'Hey, I heard something interesting. Somebody's probably trying to wake me up.' It sends it to the console for confirmation, and then it can really power up to that high-power state."

The Verge contacted Microsoft about potential privacy concerns of a device that's always listening — if not recording — the sound it hears. A spokesperson for Microsoft responded by saying that the privacy is a "top priority" for the company.

"The new Kinect is listening for a specific cue, like 'Xbox on,'" the spokesperson said. "We know our customers want and expect strong privacy protections to be built into our products, devices and services, and for companies to be responsible stewards of their data. Microsoft has more than 10 years of experience making privacy a top priority. Kinect for Xbox 360 was designed and built with strong privacy protections in place and the new Kinect will continue this commitment."

http://www.polygon.c...-a-top-priority

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

A little weird, but whatevs. Apparently it's not like Microsoft is gonna be stalking you. No problems with this over here.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#3 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

lol, imagine the bedroom awkwardness possibilities. I love it. I think its should have a red light where the "eye" is.

#4 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

2001_a_space_odyssey_2-1-.jpg

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Under terms and conditions, anytime you praise EA and MS, kinect will automatically send a signal back to MS servers and credit your account for one free game of mine sweeper. 

Edited by Sorceror12, 23 May 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Privacy is a top concern, but the Kinect is always listening to conversations and utilizes facial recognition.

Makes sense.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#7 8BitDisaster

8BitDisaster

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Inu-Yasha, DaH, LSOH, Mega Man, Mario

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

lol, imagine the bedroom awkwardness possibilities. I love it. I think its should have a red light where the "eye" is.

xbox-one-kinect-hal.jpg

scanty_and_kneesocks_transform_by_tdi_gw

Steam - 8BitDisaster

Tumblr - 8BitDisaster

#8 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I bet this gets hacked at some point.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#9 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

This holiday season i will be playing my pefectly powered, priced , and efficient wii u. While all the xbox fanboys deal with someone watching them over the kinect. 

Get hype everyone, the dude you pissed off in CoD is going to hack your kinect and spy on you!

Signature_Fox.png

#10 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

xbox-one-kinect-hal.jpg

wow that is freaky lol, i kinda want one just because it would creep people out so much

#11 8BitDisaster

8BitDisaster

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Inu-Yasha, DaH, LSOH, Mega Man, Mario

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

This holiday season i will be playing my pefectly powered, priced , and efficient wii u. While all the xbox fanboys deal with someone watching them over the kinect. 

Get hype everyone, the dude you revel in the beautiful sunshineed off in CoD is going to hack your kinect and spy on you!

"Looks like hes watching the price is right on his Xbox One while surfing internet explore."

"Stalker, go home."

scanty_and_kneesocks_transform_by_tdi_gw

Steam - 8BitDisaster

Tumblr - 8BitDisaster

#12 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't play that..."

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#13 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

This is just creepy, talk about big brother, do not let this love child of an Xbox 360 and a cable box in your house.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!