Photo

Can we please stop necro-ing and feeding troll/doom & gloom threads?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Well, in the whole time I've stayed in the forums (I was here since last year but only registered recently) there were threads that specified doubt, fear, uncertainty and plain pessimism of the Wii U. Normally this would be okay since most new consoles have doom and gloom topics. However, I would like to point out what routerbad said to some effect: "Most of these posts are written by the same person hence you can't distinguish whether these are troll or serious posts." I mean, it would be okay to respond and reason to some of this if they seem logical but the amount of doom posts here written by this dude who posts under the banner of "djlewe" have dirtied the forums and making it impossible to tell whether the others are trolling or are genuinely serious. For example, there was this guy who posted a topic pertaining to his questions about Wii U ports and of course, our forum instincts kicked in and almost tore him apart since the line between plain questions and trolling has been blurred. Worst of all, we keep on reviving these threads with new activity approximately once a week or so. Now I don't know what this Djlewe's motives are whether or not he was trolling or kinda improper due to his broken english but I can just say: Don't feed the trolls. Look how many posts with same topic this guy has. Now let's enjoy the Wii U!! Summers up for you guys and sadly, over for me. TL;DR- Don't revive "troll" posts.

Edited by PopiPenguin, 01 June 2013 - 11:12 AM.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

The only way to attempt to tell a troll from a non-troll is through post count. So then we could only allow people with decent post counts to write doom and gloom threads. This is kind of unfair. I think we need to be careful not to blow up at people but at the same time, tell them the exact subject has already been covered.

I don't think there is much staff can do without taking away our freedom to vocalize negativity of the Wii U though.

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

You do realize you just fed a troll with this topic right? They want attention, you gave them it! *Claps* Well done!

Its obvious to spot the trolls from the serious posts, but people are just to gullible to see the difference. You can't really stop people from replying to trolls unless you tell them before hand to not reply.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

You do realize you just fed a troll with this topic right? They want attention, you gave them it! *Claps* Well done!

Are you calling me a troll?

#5 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Are you calling me a troll?

No? i didn't even say a troll replied, i said he fed some. Trolls sometimes don't even reply, they just watch arguments and laugh.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#6 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

My idea would to boycott any thread where the d00mslammers post d00m at. Let them argue alone.

Signature_DK.png

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

I don't think you guys are understanding what is going on though. There is one side with constructive criticism of the Wii U, which is often mistaken for doom and gloom because people can't seem to wrap their head around that someone could constructively criticize the Wii U. Then there is this other side, with people such as routerbad and 3Dude, which try to clear things up about the Wii U for people who constructively criticize it. Without the so-called doom and gloom threads, people like routerbad and 3Dude might have less frustration and an easier day, but they also wouldn't have anything to post about.

And the reason why I know this stuff, is because I was a constructive criticizer for awhile. Back then, nobody made rules such as if you had a low number of posts and made a lot of doom and gloom threads, that you were a troll. They just told you to shut up as soon as they got tired of it. I won't speak badly of the doom and gloom people until I see real proof that they are a troll, nor am I speaking badly of 3Dude or routerbad who we need with the positive messages to balance things out.

Going back to the topic though, if you can't tell my message by now, it's I don't think much needs done.

#8 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't think you guys are understanding what is going on though. There is one side with constructive criticism of the Wii U, which is often mistaken for doom and gloom because people can't seem to wrap their head around that someone could constructively criticize the Wii U. Then there is this other side, with people such as routerbad and 3Dude, which try to clear things up about the Wii U for people who constructively criticize it. Without the so-called doom and gloom threads, people like routerbad and 3Dude might have less frustration and an easier day, but they also wouldn't have anything to post about.

And the reason why I know this stuff, is because I was a constructive criticizer for awhile. Back then, nobody made rules such as if you had a low number of posts and made a lot of doom and gloom threads, that you were a troll. They just told you to shut up as soon as they got tired of it. I won't speak badly of the doom and gloom people until I see real proof that they are a troll, nor am I speaking badly of 3Dude or routerbad who we need with the positive messages to balance things out.

Going back to the topic though, if you can't tell my message by now, it's I don't think much needs done.

Criticism is okay. But having dozens of threads on the same topic is not. The mods need to sanction and merge more of these d00m threads. They run rampant.

Edited by Rose Red, 01 June 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#9 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Criticism is okay. But having dozens of threads on the same topic is not.

Then tell them in a polite way to be quiet.

Edited by Amnesia, 01 June 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#10 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Then tell them in a polite way to be quiet.

Doesn't work. I have asked users before in PMs to please don't and they persist. Mods need to call them out.

Signature_DK.png

#11 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Doesn't work. I have asked users before in PMs to please don't and they persist. Mods need to call them out.

I created an official specs discussion thread for the Wii U hardware forum which seemed to only work for a little while. Specs threads need merged with that. I say this because many doom and gloom threads involve system specs. So, for the sake of trying to improve the forum, I pledge my agreement of your recent two posts here.

#12 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

POPULAR

I don't think he's intentionally trying to cause fights. From my perspective, English is probably not his first language OR he's too lazy to think critically before he makes a topic. I viewed a couple of topics from him they and don't seem out of the norm. The nuisances are the people who claim that these people purposefully doing it. I've seen a couple of individuals go into threads and completely utterly derail the original purpose of the thread. If you want to call them "the Nintendo pests", people who can't find a flaw with Nintendo and are in love with them. People just have thin skin, or tend to get offended quickly. It happens. If you feel that those people are trying "troll", then report them to a moderator, and they'll lock the thread within in hour or so. He has every right to speak of his dislike of the Wii U, but it's rather difficult to comprehend  it, he doesn't elaborate clearly; he's pretty much redundant. I'm not defending the guy, but people really need to stop labeling every single thread they encounter as "d00m and gl00m", because everyone has the freedom and right to express their opinions without being attacked vehemently or belligerently. 

You don't have to view the threads, you also could choose to ignore them or put the individual on your ignore list, I don't think calling him out (specifically mentioning his name) is the right thing to do, it should of been handled privately VIA PM. 

Just to clarify once more, this guy is not being defended by me, merely just looking at both sides of the coin, instead of being fatuous.

Edited by Rod Serling, 01 June 2013 - 01:01 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#13 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

I created an official specs discussion thread for the Wii U hardware forum which seemed to only work for a little while. Specs threads need merged with that. I say this because many doom and gloom threads involve system specs. So, for the sake of trying to improve the forum, I pledge my agreement of your recent two posts here.

That's also what my idea was.

Signature_DK.png

#14 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Criticism is okay. But having dozens of threads on the same topic is not. The mods need to sanction and merge more of these d00m threads. They run rampant.

Doom threads running rampant?  I haven't seen that.

If you don't like someone, just ignore them.

#15 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Doom threads running rampant?  I haven't seen that.

If you don't like someone, just ignore them.

Maybe saying d00m was too harsh. I meant people posting the same topic or minor variations of the same topic everywhere. I'm for free speech but these critic posts are getting way to crazy and happening way to much.

Signature_DK.png

#16 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

I can report all the topics that need merged with mine if a staff member approves of this. Not for punishments but for mergings.

#17 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Merging is too much of a hassle, and annoying. You'll have conversations mixed with other conversations. I say let it slide for now, and merge them if it happens again, and then punish the offenders that continue to do it. 

EDIT: And the post below me is example of meaningless posts. 

Edited by Rod Serling, 01 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#18 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

I can report all the topics that need merged with mine if a staff member approves of this. Not for punishments but for mergings.

I approve of this message.

barack-obama-jj2.jpg

Merging is too much of a hassle, and annoying. You'll have conversations mixed with other conversations. I say let it slide for now, and merge them if it happens again, and then punish the offenders that continue to do it. 

Letting cross-posting and spamming slide will doom any site.

Edited by Rose Red, 01 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#19 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

I approve of this message.

barack-obama-jj2.jpg

Letting cross-posting and spamming slide will doom any site.

You don't get my post. I never said that merging shouldn't happen, I said that for now it shouldn't be done, but if it occurs later on, then the threads should be merged. 

#20 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

You don't get my post. I never said that merging shouldn't happen, I said that for now it shouldn't be done, but if it occurs later on, then the threads should be merged. 

It has been going on since launch. It's time they do something about this before the E3 crowd comes.

Signature_DK.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!