Photo

Why people say Wii U is "current gen", and why they're complete dumb_____.

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Ouya is the same eighth generation as wii u, ps4 and the xboner and is easily beaten by the dreamcast for many types of games. The generation thing is not signfiicant.

As for performance this should be judged and based on the specification and the performance of games. As specifications can vary on so many levels and developers can vary the amount of effort used to create games people can always find some way of expressing an opinion that x is better than y on some level. When the wii was launched many claimed it had comparable performance to the 360 and PS3 and there are plenty of old arguments on forums predicting the next wii game would be equal to the  360 or PS3 version. I think for about 2 years there were people predicting this until they finally accepted reality and stopped posting such comments. Same will happen with wii u I'm sure.

I've never seen one person, ever, save Iwata-san himself (who was dead wrong) make a claim that Wii would have games that look anywhere near the same as on PS360.

You are still ignoring everything that's being said and proven to you, and now you are creating fantasy arguments to support your claim again, because you are unable to level with reality yourself.

The HyperScan and the Zeebo were both included in the seventh generation along with Wii, 360 and PS3... Does anyone actually consider them to be on the same level as any of the big three? No. Generation designation doesn't matter.

Arguing that something isn't next gen because of a hardware specification is beyond ridiculous, and it shows that people are willing to rewrite the dictionary to support a flawed argument.

In the grand scheme of things, you are right, it means very little to the end customer what someone wants to call it.

#22 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

I call the Wii U current gen. How can you call something next gen when it's already released!

Maybe cuz it's ahead of its time??

#23 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

While I agree with the sentiment here, I disagree that the Wii U is ahead of its time. So far, I love it and admire it for delivering a home console to people who mostly just want to play games and not worry about TV and other random stuff. But I'd be fooling myself if I thought that it was ahead of its time. 

- Physical media forever!

#24 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

While I agree with the sentiment here, I disagree that the Wii U is ahead of its time. So far, I love it and admire it for delivering a home console to people who mostly just want to play games and not worry about TV and other random stuff. But I'd be fooling myself if I thought that it was ahead of its time. 

Ok... how come PS4 & Xbox one  next Gen then ?

#25 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Ok... how come PS4 & Xbox one  next Gen then ?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I still consider the Wii U part of the so-called 'next gen.' I just don't agree that it is ahead of its time. I guess I could say the same about the PS4 and One. There is always better technology out there and the console makers work with they have and what fits their development budgets. Some aspects of each console might be ahead of their time. For instance, the Wii's motion controls could be said to be in this category. Or The original Xbox's LIVE setup. I'm sure someone could think of other examples that will be agreed/disagreed upon.

#26 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I still consider the Wii U part of the so-called 'next gen.' I just don't agree that it is ahead of its time. I guess I could say the same about the PS4 and One. There is always better technology out there and the console makers work with they have and what fits their development budgets. Some aspects of each console might be ahead of their time. For instance, the Wii's motion controls could be said to be in this category. Or The original Xbox's LIVE setup. I'm sure someone could think of other examples that will be agreed/disagreed upon.

The Wii U is very much ahead of it's time, its the only next gen console that doesn't support blu ray playback.  :laugh:

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#27 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

The Wii U is very much ahead of it's time, its the only next gen console that doesn't support blu ray playback.  :laugh:

Not sure where you're going with that one...

#28 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Not sure where you're going with that one...

its sarcasm.. :)

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#29 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

It does offer an interactive TV service, it just isn't touted as the main focus of the console.

#30 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

its sarcasm.. :)

Gotcha ;-)

It does offer an interactive TV service, it just isn't touted as the main focus of the console.

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to play around with that much yet. I want to though. You're right that it isn't the main focus of the console, and I am very happy for that.

#31 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Gotcha ;-)

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to play around with that much yet. I want to though. You're right that it isn't the main focus of the console, and I am very happy for that.

Agreed.

#32 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

I love my Wii U regardless but yeah, it's current gen as in PS360 was last gen, full stop.

#33 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

If something is "ahead of its time", you say it is ahead of its time. Calling it next gen when it's already out sounds stupid.

#34 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Wii U games are a type of Blu Ray discs

If something is "ahead of its time", you say it is ahead of its time. Calling it next gen when it's already out sounds stupid.

People call it that cuz they don't wanna admit that it's more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360 , and mostly haters who say that

But i don't call it next Gen, and same thing  goes for the PS4 and XBOX ONE 

Edited by Hitomi, 04 June 2013 - 05:45 AM.

#35 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

Wii U games are a type of Blu Ray discs

Ok so next year u'd call the PS4 and XBOX ONE last Gen ?

I realize that, i was poking fun at BluRay movies in general and how streaming HD movie content is growing leaps and bounds but yet people make a big deal about not being able to play back blue ray movies in the Wii U. 

#36 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

I realize that, i was poking fun at BluRay movies in general and how streaming HD movie content is growing leaps and bounds but yet people make a big deal about not being able to play back blue ray movies in the Wii U. 

Okies =)

#37 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

I've never seen one person, ever, save Iwata-san himself (who was dead wrong) make a claim that Wii would have games that look anywhere near the same as on PS360.

You are still ignoring everything that's being said and proven to you, and now you are creating fantasy arguments to support your claim again, because you are unable to level with reality yourself.

Arguing that something isn't next gen because of a hardware specification is beyond ridiculous, and it shows that people are willing to rewrite the dictionary to support a flawed argument.

In the grand scheme of things, you are right, it means very little to the end customer what someone wants to call it.

Look routerbad its clear I absolutely and utterly disagree with you so its pretty obvious nothing has been proven to me. Why on earth would you mention iwata-san in your comment in response. As it stands 100% of the evidence is on my side because the wii u simply isn't performing to the level people like you are claiming. Your argument is some golden dawn where the wii u performs to a higher level but that has yet to happen and I would say it never will at least not to any significant level beyond current performance.

Again I'm only saying something that is controversial in this environment which is a nintendo forum. Outside this forum in a multi-console environment most of what I have said is already accepted by the majority.

Why not at least wait until there is some evidence to your viewpoint available. That's real evidence based on how the wii u is performing. I'm a wii u owner and would love the wii u to be more powerful than it is but the evidence dictates it is in the same area of performance as 360 and PS3. You'll not win any argument while the wii u is still struggling to outperform 360 and PS3 because most sane people will realise that a console that can not outperform current gen consoles is hardly going to be competitive with next gen consoles that are much more powerful.

#38 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Look routerbad its clear I absolutely and utterly disagree with you so its pretty obvious nothing has been proven to me. Why on earth would you mention iwata-san in your comment in response. As it stands 100% of the evidence is on my side because the wii u simply isn't performing to the level people like you are claiming. Your argument is some golden dawn where the wii u performs to a higher level but that has yet to happen and I would say it never will at least not to any significant level beyond current performance.

Again I'm only saying something that is controversial in this environment which is a nintendo forum. Outside this forum in a multi-console environment most of what I have said is already accepted by the majority.

Why not at least wait until there is some evidence to your viewpoint available. That's real evidence based on how the wii u is performing. I'm a wii u owner and would love the wii u to be more powerful than it is but the evidence dictates it is in the same area of performance as 360 and PS3. You'll not win any argument while the wii u is still struggling to outperform 360 and PS3 because most sane people will realise that a console that can not outperform current gen consoles is hardly going to be competitive with next gen consoles that are much more powerful.

you opened a can on that one ^^ I agree with you saying that this is only controversial on a Wii U forum, anywhere else it would be considered reasonable (not saying right for the "fangirls").

I'm not a technical person when it comes to the Wii U, but I believe what I can see with my own eyes. I haven't seen or played anything on the Wii U that is obviously above the ps360 gen. "Wait till e3" i hear, "give it time" I hear, and sure, I will, but I won't really be surprised if nothing comes out that head and shoulders above the ps360. That killzone trailer is the first time I've had the "yah, THATS next gen" vibe from any of the consoles. (and no, im not a cod whore).

#39 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Meh, switching subjects again?  What is it with you and straw men?  Where do I start?  Well, for starters, there isn't a single game, not one, that is "struggling to match PS3 performance".  It, isnt happening.  

Exactly 0% of the "evidence" is on your side.  Look, we've put evidence all over this site to the contrary, 90% of it (I can make up statistics too ;)) is in your quoted comment box.  You try and claim that the hardware that we see in the photographs clearly suggests its lack of "powah" then when you are summarily proven wrong, you go with "the games aren't performing like you are saying".  Make up your mind.

The Wii U performs at a higher level than any 7th generation device.  Simply put, it is more powerful.  Your ridiculous claims that somehow a port from a 7th generation device, using the same engine as a 7th generation device, running code as it would on a 7th generation device (CPU centric), and in some cases only using two of the available cores and still achieving either the same results or better is "evidence" that "Wii U is running on last century hardware" and that "Wii U is equivalent to a current gen system" have been put down time and time again.

I've explained also why you disregard every....single....comment that proves you wrong because you are unwilling to read what people who know more about hardware systems than you say and because you are unwilling to disregard your own confirmation bias.  Simply put, as I have said to you before, Wii U could put out the most technically advanced game engine of all time and you would still claim it is otherwise.

Also as I've said, Nintendo's own launch title proves you wrong instantaneously because it is pulling off effects that are either impossible or were impractical on last generation hardware.  You refuse to listen, or do any research, preferring to prop up straw men to cover your heine.

So you have current, commercially available evidence to take into account and you won't.  Software sells hardware, but software doesn't dictate how powerful the hardware is on its own.  The performance of the system, just the 50% that we know of the system, can be derived very simply.  Just 50% of the Wii U's GPU is more powerful than any of the last gen systems.  Period.  Until we know more about what the other half is used for that much is left up to speculation.  What you can take to the bank is that it is being used.  Now this is just raw performance.  This isnt even mentioning the fact that the logic is much more modern and capable of every single trick that any of the other next gen systems will be capable of, albeit to varying degrees.

What there has not been any evidence of is the Wii U being in even the same ballpark as PS3 or 360.  That's pure fanboyism and confirmation bias.  Everyone knows that you don't judge systems based on ports from different hardware.  PS3 had troubles running RE:R, does that mean that the 3DS is a more powerful system?  Not a chance.

I can point out the "evidence" you keep overlooking as many times as you are backward enough to post ridiculous fallacies on this board.  I've pointed it out multiple times, you are unwilling to read and comprehend.  I'm sure you'll say in some other thread today that there is no "evidence" that the Wii U is more powerful than the HD twins again.  It's bound to happen, you've fallen into a state of psychosis.  You don't even realize what your fingers are doing its drilled so far into your brain.

I mentioned Iwata-San because he did, in fact, make an idiotic statement about the Wii.  You suggested that everyone made similar statements, but no one else has.  No one is saying that the Wii U is as powerful as the PS4, but you'll try and accuse us of that later today as well, because that's what you've become known for.  Weak straw men and idiotic logic that you think supports your argument, but only makes you look foolish.

you opened a can on that one ^^ I agree with you saying that this is only controversial on a Wii U forum, anywhere else it would be considered reasonable (not saying right for the "fangirls").

I'm not a technical person when it comes to the Wii U, but I believe what I can see with my own eyes. I haven't seen or played anything on the Wii U that is obviously above the ps360 gen. "Wait till e3" i hear, "give it time" I hear, and sure, I will, but I won't really be surprised if nothing comes out that head and shoulders above the ps360. That killzone trailer is the first time I've had the "yah, THATS next gen" vibe from any of the consoles. (and no, im not a cod whore).

Killzone looks like a last gen game with more RAM for higher res textures.  That is all.  And see my comment RE: NintendoLand.  It is actually doing things that are simply technically unachievable on PS360, because the PS360 hardware does not support the effects.

Edited by routerbad, 05 June 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#40 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Am I allowed to post this?

mc3o1e.jpg

ZOMG STAHP DYS ANIMAL CROOLTY SUM ONE CALL PETA PLIZZ.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!