• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

I can't possibly be the only person here who has Radiant Historia, can I?

Radiant Historia is one of Atlus's latest RPG's, and I think it should stand right up there as one of the very best games the DS has to offer. It came out around February, and I think it's an absolutely brilliant game. The battle system is super fun, the characters are very realistic and memorable, the story is a dark, gripping tale about two nations locked in war over a shrinking patch of arable land - and the central mechanic of the game, hopping between alternate realities and traveling through time, is fantastic. Did I even mention that the game's soundtrack is incredible? You've got Yoko Shimamura to thank for that.

Here's an official video that shows a lot of the awesomeness of the game (even though it says "walkthrough", it's actually a spoiler-free overview):

I really think everyone with a DS or 3DS owe it to themselves to experience Radiant Historia. It was only released in Japan and North America, but because it's region-free, it's not too difficult for all you Europeans to get your hands on it, either.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

See, now I want to play this game even more...it reminds me of Chrono Trigger. O_O

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. Thanks Feld0. ;)
Posted Image

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, games done by Atlus don't get alot of publicity, regardless of how good they are. o-O

GameZombie44.png

#5 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

I have it! The game is awesome! It's by far the best DS game IMO.

One thing, if anyone is planning to buy it, play it with headphones, the music sounds better that way.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

One thing, if anyone is planning to buy it, play it with headphones, the music sounds better that way.

I shall make note of that.

GameZombie44.png

#7 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

I actually had to chance to buy this while I was looking for the more famous ATLAS title SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked. Sadly Overclocked is going to take my money, simply because I've played 1 too many fantasy RPGs. Relative to other types, of course, because you can never get enough RPGs :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#8 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

See, now I want to play this game even more...it reminds me of Chrono Trigger. O_O

I've seen it called "the next Chrono Trigger" by many reviewers. Sadly, unlike Chrono Trigger, I have a terrible feeling that Radiant Historia is going to go down in history... as nothing. It never had much of a marketing budget, its production run was rather limited, and it just doesn't look like it'll leave behind the legacy it deserves. You may want to get your hands on it now while you still can, because I guarantee you that it's pure RPG bliss.

+1 for this. Radiant Historia takes the cake for the most incredible MIDI ever conceived on the DS's crappy hardware. Play it on a DSi or 3DS if you can, too - they have better sound cards than the DS Lite and Phat.

I actually had to chance to buy this while I was looking for the more famous ATLAS title SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked. Sadly Overclocked is going to take my money, simply because I've played 1 too many fantasy RPGs. Relative to other types, of course, because you can never get enough RPGs :P

Wertville... you should've gotten both. A choice between Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor Overclocked sounds like absolute evil - no one should have to make a choice like that. Do yourself a favour and try to get Radiant Historia ASAP, too - in the meantime, I'll have to go looking for Overclocked myself...

#9 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

I've seen it called "the next Chrono Trigger" by many reviewers. Sadly, unlike Chrono Trigger, I have a terrible feeling that Radiant Historia is going to go down in history... as nothing. It never had much of a marketing budget, its production run was rather limited, and it just doesn't look like it'll leave behind the legacy it deserves. You may want to get your hands on it now while you still can, because I guarantee you that it's pure RPG bliss.

Well, I know Chrono Trigger is really popular now...and that Square Enix needs to get their butt working on the 3rd one. <_< But if all that you're saying is true, I'll really have to pick this up soon.

GameZombie44.png

#10 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

Wertville... you should've gotten both. A choice between Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor Overclocked sounds like absolute evil - no one should have to make a choice like that. Do yourself a favour and try to get Radiant Historia ASAP, too - in the meantime, I'll have to go looking for Overclocked myself...

Sadly, I don't have the money for both... And trying to pull a Spiderman-style third choice would probably end up more like the comic than the movie; One won't survive the drop. (In a less poetic and more logical way of putting it, only one can take priority. It's like a gaming defect I have >.<)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#11 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

I can't possibly be the only person here who has Radiant Historia, can I?

Radiant Historia is one of Atlus's latest RPG's, and I think it should stand right up there as one of the very best games the DS has to offer. It came out around February, and I think it's an absolutely brilliant game. The battle system is super fun, the characters are very realistic and memorable, the story is a dark, gripping tale about two nations locked in war over a shrinking patch of arable land - and the central mechanic of the game, hopping between alternate realities and traveling through time, is fantastic. Did I even mention that the game's soundtrack is incredible? You've got Yoko Shimamura to thank for that.

Here's an official video that shows a lot of the awesomeness of the game (even though it says "walkthrough", it's actually a spoiler-free overview):

I really think everyone with a DS or 3DS owe it to themselves to experience Radiant Historia. It was only released in Japan and North America, but because it's region-free, it's not too difficult for all you Europeans to get your hands on it, either.

I might have to put this on my to-buy list for DS games. (The only other game there is tWEWY.)

I love Yoko Shimommura so I'm definitely gonna buy this, once I'm out of games and have some money to spare...

#12 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

These days, I've been getting my daily Radiant Historia fix. It's mind-numbing just how huge the game is - it definitely stretched my perception of just how much game can be crammed into a puny DS cartridge. I've put over 18 hours in, and am just starting chapter 3 on the standard timeline now.

Spoiler

Seriously, the plot development is insane. Insanely good. This game doesn't shy away from mature themes like death, betrayal, corruption, loyalty, war, racism, and lots of other good stuff (not saying that death is good, but it does add a lot to the narrative when used right; RH doesn't take place in a happy-go-lucky world where a mushroom will revive you from the dead). I'm actually very surprised it got away with an E10+ rating and not T - there are quite a few genuinely shocking moments, like...

(warning: MAJOR spoilers ahead!)
Spoiler

Out of curiousity, has anyone here actually beaten the game yet? Even though I'm more or less obsessed with RH at the moment, I'm still quite far away from the end (I have somewhere around 70 of the 236 events recorded in the White Chronicle so far - well short of even the halfway mark).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nintendo DS, Atlus, RPG, Adventure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!