Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

POPULAR

I wanted to make this post to let some here know why I haven't been as active on the forums recently, as among other things, I was involved in a motorcycle accident.

Three weeks ago I was cut off on the highway while riding my motorcycle to work.  In order to avoid running headlong into the car that had changed lanes with less than three feet of room in front of me, I applied the front and rear brakes too fast and too hard to recover control over the bike.

I fishtailed (rear wheel lockup), hit the kill switch and turned the bars hard to the right to lay my CBR600F4i down at an angle that would push me and the bike onto the left shoulder of the highway.  I came off underneath the bike and rolled several yards before coming to a stop.  No damage to the other vehicle.

At first I felt little pain, more frustration than anything, as my adrenaline took over.  After getting up and attempting to sit on the median dividing wall, others that had stopped for me laid me on the ground, as I had sustained some road rash and my left shoulder was completely immobilized.

EMT's and firefighters came to assess the situation, they removed sections of my jeans and my riding jacket to get access to injured areas, and prepared me for the ambulance ride to the ER.

I was diagnosed with a broken scapula and a fractured L4 vertebra.  The prognosis was positive, both required simple immobilization and rest to heal within months.  I am still dealing with back and shoulder pain, but it has improved dramatically.

To anyone considering owning and riding a motorcycle know this.  Had I not worn every piece of protective gear that day, rolling down the highway after a fall at 55MPH would have destroyed my arm, hands, and back.  I would not have had the opportunity to continue riding.  If there is any advice I can offer it is to get as much protective gear as possible and wear it ALL THE TIME.  No exceptions.  We call it ATGATT: All the Gear, All the Time.

My motorcycle was totaled because the repair costs exceeded the value of the bike, and I will be picking up my new bike today.

RIP 2005 CBR600F4i, you will be missed.

4de448716502a.jpg

Welcome to the family 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

3Gc3Kf3He5Le5Ga5F2d5ue88aca8f61511311.jpg

#2 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I did notice you were absent, a few days ago! Glad you are ok.
To be honest, if i were you, i would never ride another bike ever again. I think bikes aren`t safe enough.

#3 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well I'm glad that you didn't sustain life threatening injuries. I've been wanting a motorcycle since I was a little kid (specifically a classic with a side car). Was your wife pretty mad at you? Or was she scared?

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#4 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

wow

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#5 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Well I'm glad that you didn't sustain life threatening injuries. I've been wanting a motorcycle since I was a little kid (specifically a classic with a side car). Was your wife pretty mad at you? Or was she scared?

My wife is ultra supportive.  To give you some perspective, she's pregnant, and while this did scare her, she recognizes that motocycles can be safe if the rider is properly trained and properly geared for the experience.

She was instrumental in helping me find a replacement.

I did notice you were absent, a few days ago! Glad you are ok.
To be honest, if i were you, i would never ride another bike ever again. I think bikes aren`t safe enough.

Honestly, I would rather be knocked off a motorcycle than trapped in a car.  I wear armor that protects vital organs, at 55MPH I only sustained minor fractures and some road rash on my hand, that says a lot about the worthiness of protective equipment

#6 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm glad you're doing good. I have to say, the way you avoided that car was awesome. Would've been much worse if you didn't.

Also, those motorcycles are pretty sessy. Especially the black one.

I wish you the best. :D

#7 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'm glad you're doing good. I have to say, the way you avoided that car was awesome. Would've been much worse if you didn't.

Also, those motorcycles are pretty sessy. Especially the black one.

I wish you the best. :D

When you get training it tends to kick in when you need it most, without your even knowing it at the time lol.

I prefer the styling of the Ninja as well.

#8 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Your a lucky man. Count your blessings.

Signature_DK.png

#9 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Oh my gosh, at least ur getting better! It could have been worse so feel happy bout that! Are you gonna sue the guy that cut u off or there's too little information to press charges?

And sweet new bike :P lol
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#10 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

Dang, what a story, thanks for sharing that!

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#11 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Oh wow... Uh.. Glad you're alright man. Hope you recover well. God bless

#12 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Wow, I didn't know that.  It's a good thing you're alright.

I am considering learning to ride a motorcycle through college as they've always seemed like more versatile vehicles.  Because of this, I am always unsure, as I know without gear, a motorcycle accident can be lethal.

I've always heard of motorcycle accidents around, but I've never known someone who has gotten into one.  In Albuquerque, we have backwards laws (or laws people just choose not to follow), so almost all the bikers I see are without helmets or any protective gear.  It's a rare sight to see riders actually protected, and it's usually the people with the sleeker bikes (not the Harleys).  That's probably why the accidents here are so bad (plus the awful car drivers).

#13 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Oh my gosh, at least ur getting better! It could have been worse so feel happy bout that! Are you gonna sue the guy that cut u off or there's too little information to press charges?

And sweet new bike :P lol

The lady that cut me off stayed and accepted fault, her insurance is covering everything.

Wow, I didn't know that. It's a good thing you're alright.

I am considering learning to ride a motorcycle through college as they've always seemed like more versatile vehicles. Because of this, I am always unsure, as I know without gear, a motorcycle accident can be lethal.
I've always heard of motorcycle accidents around, but I've never known someone who has gotten into one. In Albuquerque, we have backwards laws (or laws people just choose not to follow), so almost all the bikers I see are without helmets or any protective gear. It's a rare sight to see riders actually protected, and it's usually the people with the sleeker bikes (not the Harleys). That's probably why the accidents here are so bad (plus the awful car drivers).

Riding is extremely rewarding if you are getting into it for the right reasons. I hope you do learn to ride and end up a successful rider, but don't be like the rest if the squids, we don't like those guys, they make all bikers look stupid.

Also, stay vigilant, as if every other driver on the road is trying to kill you, no joke.

#14 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'm very happy that you survived. This could indeed be a total opposite story. All my brothers have motobikes, from the Ducati Monster to the Honda CB1000R. Apart from their drivers licence the invested much into gear and special courses.
Me, I may not buy a bike from my wife, she would be scared stiff every time I'd leave home. Maybe for the better...I'm too competition minded, and like my brothers just can't resist if a Porsche challenges them. Even my escapeplan to the Vespa GTS300 didn't get approved so... :(

Your story just reminds me how fragile you motocyclists are. Very glad, for you, your wife and future baby, that things worked out okayisch.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#15 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

I'm very happy that you survived. This could indeed be a total opposite story. All my brothers have motobikes, from the Ducati Monster to the Honda CB1000R. Apart from their drivers licence the invested much into gear and special courses.
Me, I may not buy a bike from my wife, she would be scared stiff every time I'd leave home. Maybe for the better...I'm too competition minded, and like my brothers just can't resist if a Porsche challenges them. Even my escapeplan to the Vespa GTS300 didn't get approved so... :(

Your story just reminds me how fragile you motocyclists are. Very glad, for you, your wife and future baby, that things worked out okayisch.

My wife was scared at first, getting trained at an MSF course reassured her, getting quality gear reassured her, and my ability to drive responsibly regardless of pressures to to the wrong thing reassures her.

It's all about how much risk you are willing to accept.

#16 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

I'm happy your ok dude, my Dad used to ride motorcycles, he had an accident too, he couldn't handle getting back on one after that. You are right though, motorcycle gear exists for a reason, to save your life.

#17 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm glad you're ok! :)

Posted Image

#18 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Good to know you're getting better.

I get nervous driving a car let alone operating a motorcycle, the idea practically terrifies me.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thank you all for your kindness!  I picked up the new bike yesterday and took her out today for a shakedown run to dust off the cobwebs (my cobwebs) and get used to riding again.

I got a new set of leathers, gloves, and helmet.

I'll have my wife take a picture tomorrow.

I love the new bike, the seat isnt as comfortable, and the riding position is very different, but the bike runs strong and smooth, and gives really good feedback.  I think we're going to get along just fine.

#20 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

I was involved in a bike accident around 5 years ago, Kind of what has pushed me to cars now, I will never get on one again in this life time, Not because i am scared, But because i have seen the damage that can happen, If i had my time again i would only ever ride a bike on a race track and never again on the road. Best of luck with the recovery. 

Edited by cannonshane, 12 June 2013 - 02:19 AM.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!