Photo

So i got monster hunter and played a few hours of it..

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CookieEpic

CookieEpic

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mostly Cave Story

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

rant/

..And i'm officially bored out of my mind. This game is not fun or redeeming to me in any way. And since the store it came from does not allow refunds once you crack the wrapping around it, i'm stuck with the most uninspiried, boring, overpriced game i have ever played in my entire life.

/rant end

Okay, i didn't make it that far. But when a game can't get me interested from the beginning, i usually end up so bored i can't even look at the disc anymore. I'm sorry if i offended any monster hunter fans, but man i'm bored.  :unsure:

86c.gif

#2 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm just going to say what everyone will say: Monster Hunter is a game that takes time and dedication to get into. It has one of the highest entry barriers in gaming, and the first few hours are really dull. Most people get hooked when they defeat their first big monster because it feels satisfying to track it down and strategically defeat it.

So basically, keep at it until you beat your first monster. If you are still bored and unsatisfied, then that's ok. It's not a game for everyone.

Edited by TheUltimateWaddleDee, 09 June 2013 - 08:24 AM.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#3 CookieEpic

CookieEpic

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mostly Cave Story

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm just going to say what everyone will say: Monster Hunter is a game that takes time and dedication to get into. It has one of the highest entry barriers in gaming, and the first few hours are really dull. Most people get hooked when they defeat their first big monster because it feels satisfying to track it down and strategically defeat it.

So basically, keep at it until you beat your first monster. If you are still bored and unsatisfied, then that's ok. It's not a game for everyone.

I mean that the game itself does not appeal to me at all, and the controls feel extremely clunky and unused. I know some say this is to make the game more "difficult" but i didn't really feel like i was playing a full price game. More a 15 dollar game on steam.

86c.gif

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

I mean that the game itself does not appeal to me at all, and the controls feel extremely clunky and unused. I know some say this is to make the game more "difficult" but i didn't really feel like i was playing a full price game. More a 15 dollar game on steam.

If the game didn't appeal to you at all, you probably should have researched it more on forums, reviews, gameplay vids, and demos. Not to be mean, but all of the things you mentioned can be found by having done all that.

Edited by Sorceror12, 09 June 2013 - 08:37 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Wolf

Wolf

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lego games, all of them.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

I was the same with the Wii version of the game and I never even got to the first big monster. Sold it and never thought any more of it. Then I got the Wii U version and gave it a bit more of a go. Didn't excite me too much until I defeats my first giant jaggi. Then it all made sense. Now I find it really enjoyable. And a real challenge.

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Lets hope for your sake 3Dude doesn't see this thread, or your in for a good old fashion fanboy flame war.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Were you aware of the demo??

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#8 CookieEpic

CookieEpic

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mostly Cave Story

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Were you aware of the demo??

No i had not been at the time.

If the game didn't appeal to you at all, you probably should have researched it more on forums, reviews, gameplay vids, and demos. Not to be mean, but all of the things you mentioned can be found by having done all that.

..I probably should have mentioned it was a gift.

86c.gif

#9 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

I agree it's a terrible, extremely overrated game. Bad controls and loading screens between areas are my biggest problems with the game.

#10 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

I felt the same when I first started the game, but now I have 110+ hours. Keep at it.

#11 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

As others have said, it takes awhile to get into it.  My first monster hunter game took me 15 hours before I really got into it.  During those first 15 hours I was kinda unsure if I liked the game, then something clicked, I got completely addicted, and ended up putting 2000 hours into the game (that number ain't a typo, I assure you).  There's a lot to learn and get used to in this game which gives it the high entry barrier that TheUltimateWaddleDee mentioned.  For some information, my first recommendation is Projared's tutorials () or if you want to see my long-winded explanation of game mechanics, see here (http://thewiiu.com/t...te-help-thread/).  There's a lot of systems in the game and they're all interconnected.

The game is "prepare for fight>Kill monster>use monster to parts to make gear>repeat"  There's no real end to the game.  The story is pretty bare bones and just a minimal explanation for why you're killing these things.  The good part is that the fights are the best part.  Once you get into it it can be really tense and fun during battle.  I've got tons of bizarre or awesome stories that have happened on the hunt.  Also, this isn't a game you can just attack blindly without thinking.  There's very few monsters where I'm not always thinking about my next move when I'm fighting and keeping an eye where I am and what the monsters doing.

With controls, you basically have to learn how the game is supposed to be played.  At first it all seems nonsensical and complicated, but trust me, it all fits together rather well once you've put time in and will eventually be second nature when you get used to it.  It's never gonna feel like Devil May Cry levels of fast and fluid, but it doesn't need to be.  If the characters could suddenly zip across the screen anytime to dodge, you'd never have to plan your moves and would never get hit once you mastered pressing the dodge button.

It does have kind of an old school teaching method.  You try, you fail, learn from your mistakes, do better the next time.  This game does seem to have a much better learning curve than other games in the series.  The first few hours are just to get you acclimated.  You don't want to be thrown against one of the bosses first thing, you want time to learn the basics, even if it seems boring. 

I'd say that's my two cents on the matter, but this has got to be at least worth ten cents, right?  Anyway, hope I helped some. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help!

Edit: how do you link to a youtube vid without it appearing in the text?  Didn't want the whole thing to be there.

Edited by Lightning_Ninja, 09 June 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#12 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

No i had not been at the time.

..I probably should have mentioned it was a gift.

never complain about a gift! LOL  :laugh:

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#13 MiiVirus

MiiVirus

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

I played the demo and didn't care for it either! A lot of people love this game and i have thought about buying it to give it a better go. I love RPG's and want to like the game. 

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

After seeing the super metroid and mega man x miiverse, this doesnt surprise me any more.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

That's like saying Zelda is horrible because of the tutorial part in the beginning.
Posted Image

#16 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: "One of the best games I own" - my opinion.

#17 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Heh. Kinda ironic. My brother bought it used a few days back because he heard it was great and is trying to like it, but it doesn't seem to be for him. Not sure if he's killed the first "big monster" yet but I'd be surprised if he hasn't found anything decently sized by now. I guess he's more into RPGs with story than just taking down bosses. As for me, the demo leaves me feeling neutral so I'm holding off on it. I mean the demo had a decently sized monster, not a small jaggi or anything, and I didn't feel much other than the standard satisfaction of getting down the controls and beating something. It was interesting but I didn't feel like "Whoo now time to kill a bigger one!" right after. Since that appears to be most of the game outside of the occasional fashioning armor and farming, it just seems too risky unless I could borrow it for an extended amount of time to be sure.

Eh, I say go and take the general advice of going for the big kill and see if you get your little burst of endorphins or not. Then maybe you can try selling it off to someone if not. No series is loved by everyone.

Posted Image

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

Heh. Kinda ironic. My brother bought it used a few days back because he heard it was great and is trying to like it, but it doesn't seem to be for him. Not sure if he's killed the first "big monster" yet but I'd be surprised if he hasn't found anything decently sized by now. I guess he's more into RPGs with story than just taking down bosses. As for me, the demo leaves me feeling neutral so I'm holding off on it. I mean the demo had a decently sized monster, not a small jaggi or anything, and I didn't feel much other than the standard satisfaction of getting down the controls and beating something. It was interesting but I didn't feel like "Whoo now time to kill a bigger one!" right after. Since that appears to be most of the game outside of the occasional fashioning armor and farming, it just seems too risky unless I could borrow it for an extended amount of time to be sure.

Eh, I say go and take the general advice of going for the big kill and see if you get your little burst of endorphins or not. Then maybe you can try selling it off to someone if not. No series is loved by everyone.

The problem with the demo is they give you ridiculously op equipment compared to what point in time you fight those monsters in the game.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

The problem with the demo is they give you ridiculously op equipment compared to what point in time you fight those monsters in the game.

I'm sure it is, but as a newbie to the series myself, it was still challenging enough to give me a good idea of what to expect in a normal scenario where I'm more used to the game. Sort of evens it out I think. I wish I liked it more because there seems to be only a couple of Wii U games coming out this year that I'd actually buy. As it is, hunting down challenging fights isn't really my preferred meat of a game. Guess it might not the genre for me.

Off topic, but is that Anderson in your sig?

Posted Image

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm sure it is, but as a newbie to the series myself, it was still challenging enough to give me a good idea of what to expect in a normal scenario where I'm more used to the game. Sort of evens it out I think. I wish I liked it more because there seems to be only a couple of Wii U games coming out this year that I'd actually buy. As it is, hunting down challenging fights isn't really my preferred meat of a game. Guess it might not the genre for me.

Off topic, but is that Anderson in your sig?

Yes, yes it is.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!