Photo

Wii U Hard drive

HDD

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Wii U Hard drive (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Hard drive?

1. Yes (17 votes [36.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.17%

2. No (6 votes [12.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. I can use an SD card/ External Hard drive./ SSD (24 votes [51.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Pong

Pong

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

What do you think about this article? : http://www.product-r...tall-for-games/
Posted Image

Edited by Pong, 27 August 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#2 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Depends on my habits, but so far i am good with them giving us an option of using an external one. But they should release different models with hard drives ( hopefully ones that are reliable and will not crap out on you in a matter of months). This way they can please other people who are seeking to get hard drives in there consoles.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#3 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

I also hope Nintendo change to USB 3.0 instead of 2.0 because the data transfer rate is so much faster, if they do not it will be a con for the wii u user.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#4 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

I also hope Nintendo change to USB 3.0 instead of 2.0 because the data transfer rate is so much faster, if they do not it will be a con for the wii u user.

USB 3.0 is faster, but let me ask a question. Name one basic consumer who can tell you the difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. It will take a while to catch on with the public, and only then will Nintendo probably add it into their own consoles

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#5 Makar

Makar

Grand Curator of Random Facts

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Pikmin, Tales of..

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

I would much prefer a hard drive to internal flash memory.

Installing a game from the disk also helps protect the game for example, if you scratch the disk so bad the game wont play if it's installed it'll play as normal. Slightly disappointing from a next gen console, but what can you do?
Awesome article by the way!
Posted Image

#6 Funtendo Zii

Funtendo Zii

It´s a me, Mario !

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

You may not add a DVD player function to wii u, but please, Nintendo, we need a hard drive on the Wii U !!!

#7 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Would be nice, but I can just use an external hard drive. As for installing games, I've never really bothered with it. I always take good care of my game disks(all of my PS1 games still read just fine), so no need of doing it to protect the game. I would rather have all the space go towards my downloads and saved data. Load times and disk reading noise have also never been much of an issue for me.
Posted Image

#8 Schroedus

Schroedus

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

So I'm guessing no one will hook up an external SSD? >.>

#9 FireBoost06

FireBoost06

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

I really want a hard drive!! Whats the diffrence between an SSD and a hard drive??

#10 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

I really want a hard drive!! Whats the diffrence between an SSD and a hard drive??

Kind of wrong section to ask it in, but I'll answer anyways.
Easiest way to describe Solid State Drives (SSD) is that SSD's havve Data that can be reached with no issues. Regular Hard Drives have to spin to get the data. If you want something to be ready the moment you finish booting up your PC, you want a SSD. Most computers tend to have regular Hard drives. Also, Solid state is a lot more expensive for smaller amounts. An 30 GB Internal SSD runs you around $70, where you can get a 1 TerraByte hard drive for roughly that same cost.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#11 Pong

Pong

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

Would the Wii U be compatible with an SSD?

#12 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Would the Wii U be compatible with an SSD?

Nintendo has yet to mention it, and I have yet to see any SSD sold as externals, which are the kind of Hard Drives the WiiU will use.

#13 abbe

abbe

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

On e3.nintendo.com, it says nothing about USB 2.0, it also says that details are subject to change, so i really hope they goes with USB 3.0

#14 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

On e3.nintendo.com, it says nothing about USB 2.0, it also says that details are subject to change, so i really hope they goes with USB 3.0

what you seem to be forgetting is that this is Nintendo we are talking about, not Sony.
Nintendo: Makes cheap Video game systems that are roughly around mid range in preformance and tech.
Sony: Makes High priced technology that is way ahead of it's time for consoles

#15 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

what you seem to be forgetting is that this is Nintendo we are talking about, not Sony.
Nintendo: Makes cheap Video game systems that are roughly around mid range in preformance and tech.
Sony: Makes High priced technology that is way ahead of it's time for consoles

Errm... Am I the only one here who recalls the pre-wii era?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#16 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

No you're not.

Seriously, loading times are not that much of an issue, And I would prefer by a lot to have an $80 1 TB external HDD, than a $47.50 250 GB one (Hint: More than double the price).

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#17 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

Still, the Gamecube was way cheaper then the PS2/Xbox at launch, so my point stands on the pricing. The hardware, not so much

#18 Schroedus

Schroedus

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

An SSD has no moving parts, and it's a heck of a lot faster than the traditional hard drive disk.

#19 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Still, the Gamecube was way cheaper then the PS2/Xbox at launch, so my point stands on the pricing. The hardware, not so much

'Cheap Hardware' and 'Low Pricing' are two completely different things. You didn't really clarify which you meant.

Nintendo sold the Gamecube at a loss, and the N64's cartridges were much more expensive than disks (Though a lot faster). Sony has NEVER been graphic heavy until the PS3; The PS2 was hyped to be powerful, but most of the price probably went to the DvD player.

For all we know, Nintendo could return to strong hardware for the WiiU, and PS4 could be a PS3 with a faster blu-ray. Not saying it WILL happen, but you never know.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#20 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

'Cheap Hardware' and 'Low Pricing' are two completely different things. You didn't really clarify which you meant.

Nintendo sold the Gamecube at a loss, and the N64's cartridges were much more expensive than disks (Though a lot faster). Sony has NEVER been graphic heavy until the PS3; The PS2 was hyped to be powerful, but most of the price probably went to the DvD player.

For all we know, Nintendo could return to strong hardware for the WiiU, and PS4 could be a PS3 with a faster blu-ray. Not saying it WILL happen, but you never know.

Valid Point. I fully admit I was wrong in my statements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!