65 replies to this topic

#21 ugguy

ugguy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • NNID:uglyguy

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

I'm really glad they picked DKC TF, Metroid never appealed to me at all. I can't wait to swing from vines and ride mine carts once again :)

#22 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

I believe some of the reasoning behind this was that they believed the Wii U would get a little more 3rd party support, and 3rd party often means fps. Remember this decision was made a long time ago. And to be honest, a 2D platformer with Donkey Kong probably sells better than a 3D Metroid. Plus, they probably had more ideas for this game than for Metroid. And remember, with the recent situation with Rayman Legends, this means that the Wii U will still have the best 2D platformer, exclusively!  :)

#23 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Shoulda done Metroid, I really wanted some Metriod first person shooter action :D

#24 ccc0mb0_bReakeR

ccc0mb0_bReakeR

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Fandom:
    Killer Instinct, Halo, Sonic, Bioshock

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

bad move  :mellow:

#25 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm happy they did Donkey Kong instead of Metroid. I'm not a fan of Metroid, but I love Donkey Kong games (with the exception of 64, yuck) to death.

#26 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

As unhappy as I am about it being Donkey Kong instead of Metroid or something else, I know it's still going to be an absolutely amazing game, and I'm going to get it.

#27 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I think Retro is working on more than one project, i mean would they really hire guys from Naughty Dog and Crytek...Just for Donkey Kong?

And not only that, they've also moved into a new building recently.

Edited by VGCrasher, 12 June 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#28 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think they made the wrong choice.

Pretty much this.

I've been a huge fan of Donkey Kong since Donkey Kong Country for the Super Nintendo. But from a business point of view Metroid was a better choice because the Wii-U could use a brand-new FPS at this moment. I'm not saying Donkey Kong isn't going to be amazing but at this given time Metroid would have graced us with a little variety.

#29 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I would have loved a Metroid or a new IP, everyone knows Nintendo needs some fresh blood in their catalog. 

#30 ifrit05

ifrit05

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

Meh... I too was wishing for some Metroid or Starfox love.

ifrit05s.png

Nintendo Network ID: ifrit05

Wii U Deluxe

#31 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

I disagree. This new DK game looks like a lot of fun. I'm excited for it.

#32 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

I disagree. This new DK game looks like a lot of fun. I'm excited for it.

DK does look great (maybe even better than great) , but in terms of demand i think a lot of fans are gearing up for Metroid and we just had a DK game come out.
I'm not saying I'm not going to buy it, I'm just saying that i wish they did Metroid.
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#33 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

DK does look great (maybe even better than great) , but in terms of demand i think a lot of fans are gearing up for Metroid and we just had a DK game come out.
I'm not saying I'm not going to buy it, I'm just saying that i wish they did Metroid.

The problem there is that you got your hopes up and expected something else. It's not Retro's fault you wanted them to create something they had no intention of creating.

I'm just excited that Retro made what they wanted to make. I wasn't expecting anything else... well Nintendo could force them to do whatever, but I trust them not to hinder Retro's creativity.

#34 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

The problem there is that you got your hopes up and expected something else. It's not Retro's fault you wanted them to create something they had no intention of creating.

I'm just excited that Retro made what they wanted to make. I wasn't expecting anything else... well Nintendo could force them to do whatever, but I trust them not to hinder Retro's creativity.

Yeah. I did get my hopes up. And now my hopes are even higher because now if they make a metroid game it'll be even further into the console's life cycle. Do you see my problem here? However we do know that Nintendo offered them two games to choose from. That means that Metroid is on the radar and hopefully the fan response shows Retro and big N that there is an eager market for Metroid. I'm disappointed and exxxcitedddd.

#35 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Donkey Kong is very very fun... 

However he got Retros lovin last time around...

I would have preferred something new entirely

Give me a new character to fall in love with... I want more franchises   o:<

#36 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

I would have to argue with that, 2D and 3D platforming is drastically different.  2D tends to focus more on speed and pure platforming.  3D is not as fast and requires more exploration and a depth to things.

The challenge in 2D platformers is the challenging raw platforming.  3D is constructed differently and feels like it includes an ascent in all levels (to some tower or mountain).

It's way harder to make a challenging 2D platformer without making it frustrating than to make a 3D action/platformer game. That's why sidescrollers tend to be horribly easy.

Posted Image

#37 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

I think they made the right choice.

Bring the noise.

#38 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think they made the right choice.

But i think you're wrong.

Jkjk. I am excited about DK. I just would be more happy to have a new Metroid. That said, this simply means that when metroid does come the graphics will be that much better as it won't be new console territory. I spoke hastily when i said that and i whole heartedly take it back :)
DK had been around even longer than Mario (technically) and ours great to see all the love he's getting.

#39 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think I'd rather see Retro not do Metros next time. I'd like to see how their talents in something much more original.

Monolith should do Metroid. They absolutely slaughter people's minds with their environment designs, something that I think is critical to the Metroid series.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#40 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think I'd rather see Retro not do Metros next time. I'd like to see how their talents in something much more original.

Monolith should do Metroid. They absolutely slaughter people's minds with their environment designs, something that I think is critical to the Metroid series.

Oh that would be killer.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!